Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cannot access certain websites

Cannot access certain websites

Lisa

Can you access and run the windows update site? If not...I just ran into
this the other day...

Follow these steps carefully.

Renaming the Catroot folder and the .dll registering did it for me. Of
course I can't guarantee this is the same problem, but it may be worth
reviewing.

"SidKnee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:F1Nrd.1477$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I originally had some malware on my computer which I have now removed( I
> hope). However I cannot access certain sites especially secure websites.
> keep getting the following error message:
>
> QUOTE
> The page cannot be displayed
> The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might
> be
> experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your
> browser
> settings.
>

> Please try the following:
> Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
>
> If To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click
> Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings
> should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator
> or Internet service provider (ISP).
> If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can
> examine
> your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
> If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
> click Detect Network Settings
> Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and
> then
> click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have
> installed.
> If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings
> can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On
> the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for
> SSL
> 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
>
> Cannot find server or DNS Error
> Internet Explorer
> UNQUOTE
>
> Can anyone tell me what the problem may still be and how I can resolve?
>
> Sid

°Mike°

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 19:11:36 -0600, in
<H4Prd.45$(E-Mail Removed)>
Jay scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:21:42 GMT, in
>> <qkOrd.1635$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> SidKnee scrawled:
>>

>>>"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote > http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

>>>DoI remove the 3 .dll files shown in lspfix???
>>>
>>>MSWSOC.DLL
>>>WINRNR.DLL
>>>RSVPSP.DLL
>>>
>>>?
>>>sID

>> NO! Those are valid system files (it's mswsock.dll, by
>> the way). If LSPFix identified any wayward files, it would
>> have placed them in the 'Remove' list. Leave things as
>> they are, if those are the only three files listed.
>>

>Would it be safe to assume Sid accidentally deleted the wrong DLL
>and is now sitting at a 'Invalid System Disk' prompt?

No. If he had "removed" those files via LSPFix, it only
removes the registry entries. He may be sitting at a
blank browser, but it wouldn't bork his system totally.

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:33:55 +0000, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
°Mike° scrawled:

<snip>

>Leave things as they are, if those are the only three files listed.

<Afterthought>

If you are still having problems, try the following:

How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314067

--
Basic computer maintenance