Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Boot order problem

Boot order problem

Mike T.

Hello,

I have a Medion laptop with Phoenix BIOS version A.0EP-59D5-0812. I'm trying
to set it up to boot from the CD/DVD drive. The BIOS sees the drive without
a problem. However, when I try to put the CD drive first in the boot order,
it does not succeed. I have 3 items in the boot list: CD-ROM, Removable
Device, and Hard Drive (in that order). Only the hard drive has a + sign
next to it, meaning that this device will be booted. I can't get a + sign in
front of the CD-ROM. I've had no luck with the space bar (as I have
successfully done with other BIOSs) or any other key. The CD I want to use
boots successfully in other machines. How can I get this laptop to
successfully boot from CD?

Thanks!

Use.Netuser.de

"Mike T." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote ...
> I have a Medion laptop with Phoenix BIOS version A.0EP-59D5-0812. I'm

trying
> to set it up to boot from the CD/DVD drive. The BIOS sees the drive

without
> a problem. However, when I try to put the CD drive first in the boot

order,
> it does not succeed. I have 3 items in the boot list: CD-ROM, Removable
> Device, and Hard Drive (in that order). Only the hard drive has a + sign
> next to it, meaning that this device will be booted. I can't get a + sign

in
> front of the CD-ROM. I've had no luck with the space bar (as I have
> successfully done with other BIOSs) or any other key. The CD I want to use
> boots successfully in other machines. How can I get this laptop to
> successfully boot from CD?

I normally use + and - keys to set boot order in BIOS. Need to use use Shift
+ as + is a secondary key and = is the primary one.

philo

"Mike T." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I have a Medion laptop with Phoenix BIOS version A.0EP-59D5-0812. I'm

trying
> to set it up to boot from the CD/DVD drive. The BIOS sees the drive

without
> a problem. However, when I try to put the CD drive first in the boot

order,
> it does not succeed. I have 3 items in the boot list: CD-ROM, Removable
> Device, and Hard Drive (in that order). Only the hard drive has a + sign
> next to it, meaning that this device will be booted. I can't get a + sign

in
> front of the CD-ROM. I've had no luck with the space bar (as I have
> successfully done with other BIOSs) or any other key. The CD I want to use
> boots successfully in other machines. How can I get this laptop to
> successfully boot from CD?
>
> Thanks!

somewhere in there,
the bios should give you a clue...

possibilites that i know of, other than the space bar are:

page up /page down

- / +

or just hit "enter" rather than the space bar

°Mike°

Try the "Page UP" and "Page Down" keys.

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 22:27:56 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Mike T. scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Mike T.

Thanks for the answers, all. I think I've found the problem. It appears that
the manufacturer locks the BIOS in order to prevent people from using
pirated OSs. The OEM disks are bound to the BIOS. I'll have to get the
manufacturer on the phone, since I'm not trying to install a pirated
OS...I'm trying to install Linux. Bastards.

--
Mike T
Spiffy sig currently under development.

Mike T.

Here's more on the boot order situation:

After being on the phone with Medion support, I was advised to find and
attempt to boot with the "Application & Support CD" that came with the
laptop. It's the recovery CD. I was able to boot successfully with this CD.
I didn't pursue this avenue further since doing so would flush and restore
everything. I can not, however, boot to any other CD, including an XP full
version CD or a SuSE Linux install CD. Both of these CDs boot successfully
on my other machines.

I was then advised to download a BIOS update from the Medion website and
make a bootable CD with Nero. I proceeded to do this, using WinImage to make
the .IMA file needed by Nero. I attempted to boot with this CD, but again no
luck.

As far as being in the BIOS setup, in the area where I can select the boot
order, I can navigate up and down and reorder the items. However, only the
Boot From Hard Disk option has a plus sign next to it, meaning that the
system should look there. Neither of the other two options has this plus
sign. I have attempted to select the CD drive and the external device by
using the space bar (as is the case with other BIOSes on my other mobos;
however, all I get is a beep. Attempting with other keys does nothing.

Does anyone have any other options? It's ****ing me off that the only CD I
can boot from is the manufacturer's recovery CD. It's my computer, I should
be able to do whatever I want with it. Cell phone makers are in the same
boat.

Thanks,
Mike