Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > proper way to direct traffic from misspelled site

proper way to direct traffic from misspelled site

lori

can someone please tell me the proper way to register a commonly
mispelled version of a web site? I want to register the misspelled
site, but I want it to point to the correclty registered site. can i
do this without google thinking it's a mirror site?
thanks.

G. Morgan

On 2 Dec 2004 13:26:20 -0800 "lori"
used 5 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

>can someone please tell me the proper way to register a commonly
>mispelled version of a web site? I want to register the misspelled
>site, but I want it to point to the correclty registered site. can i
>do this without google thinking it's a mirror site?
>thanks.

You are better off asking that question in: alt.internet.search-engines

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

anthonyberet

"lori" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> can someone please tell me the proper way to register a commonly
> mispelled version of a web site? I want to register the misspelled
> site, but I want it to point to the correclty registered site. can i
> do this without google thinking it's a mirror site?
> thanks.

Whats wrong with google thinking it's a mirror site?
(I should think Google can differentiate between mirrors and redirects
anyway).
What exactly do you mean?

Anyway, you can register domain names with plenty of companies:
http://www.google.com/search?q=regis...utf-8&oe=utf-8

anthonyberet

"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:59:21 GMT "(E-Mail Removed)"
> used 15 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>
> >Thru the DNS entry I'm pretty sure.
> >
> >You can WHOIS
> >gamesfaq.com
> >and
> >gamefaqs.com
> >
> >They do it.

> I've heard that Google will lower the PR for sites that are not

re-directed in a
> certain way. Maybe it was the META-Refresh method.

Why do you care if your redirect gets a lower PR?
- surely you only want the misspelling to happen when people type out the
URL? - not when people click on a google hit?
Are you trying to even-out traffic or something like that? (or steal
advertising revenue?)
A redirect is going to hit the homepage anyway.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On 2 Dec 2004 13:26:20 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (lori) wrote:

|> can someone please tell me the proper way to register a commonly
|> mispelled version of a web site? I want to register the misspelled
|> site, but I want it to point to the correclty registered site. can i
|> do this without google thinking it's a mirror site?

Thru the DNS entry I'm pretty sure.

You can WHOIS
gamesfaq.com
and
gamefaqs.com

They do it.

G. Morgan

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:59:21 GMT "(E-Mail Removed)"
used 15 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

>Thru the DNS entry I'm pretty sure.
>
>You can WHOIS
>gamesfaq.com
>and
>gamefaqs.com
>
>They do it.

I've heard that Google will lower the PR for sites that are not re-directed in a
certain way. Maybe it was the META-Refresh method.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

G. Morgan

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 21:54:45 -0000 "anthonyberet"
used 28 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

>"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:59:21 GMT "(E-Mail Removed)"
>> used 15 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>>
>> >Thru the DNS entry I'm pretty sure.
>> >
>> >You can WHOIS
>> >gamesfaq.com
>> >and
>> >gamefaqs.com
>> >
>> >They do it.

>> I've heard that Google will lower the PR for sites that are not

>re-directed in a
>> certain way. Maybe it was the META-Refresh method.
>>

>Why do you care if your redirect gets a lower PR?

The main site gets a penalized with a lower PR.

>- surely you only want the misspelling to happen when people type out the
>URL? - not when people click on a google hit?

right.

>Are you trying to even-out traffic or something like that? (or steal
>advertising revenue?)

Huh?

>A redirect is going to hit the homepage anyway.

I know. The point I was making is that Google penalizes you for certain
redirect methods. I'm not a search engine expert, but I read about it on
alt.internet.search-engines. I forget which method is bad to use. It might be
an Apache 301 or 302, or the Meta-refresh, or domain forwarding. Google also
penalizes for gateway pages, which a re-direct might be considered.

I know there is a proper way to do it. That's why I suggested the OP go to the
alt.internet.search-engines group to ask.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

anthonyberet

"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 21:54:45 -0000 "anthonyberet"
> used 28 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>

> >"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:59:21 GMT "(E-Mail Removed)"
> >> used 15 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

> >> I've heard that Google will lower the PR for sites that are not

> >re-directed in a
> >> certain way. Maybe it was the META-Refresh method.
> >>

> >Why do you care if your redirect gets a lower PR?

> The main site gets a penalized with a lower PR.
>

> >- surely you only want the misspelling to happen when people type out the
> >URL? - not when people click on a google hit?

> right.
>

> >Are you trying to even-out traffic or something like that? (or steal
> >advertising revenue?)

> Huh?

Oh, sorry, I thought you were the OP.
It was (is?) common for advertisers to register mispellings of popular sites
in order to steal their traffic. - I thought the OP might be up to something
like this.
They didn't say they owned the site they want to redirect to (and if they
do, they wouldn't have asked that question).

> >A redirect is going to hit the homepage anyway.

> I know. The point I was making is that Google penalizes you for certain
> redirect methods. I'm not a search engine expert, but I read about it on
> alt.internet.search-engines. I forget which method is bad to use. It

might be
> an Apache 301 or 302, or the Meta-refresh, or domain forwarding. Google

also
> penalizes for gateway pages, which a re-direct might be considered.
>
> I know there is a proper way to do it. That's why I suggested the OP go

to the
> alt.internet.search-engines group to ask.

I see - I would be surprised if a simple redirect would lower PR though -
though a redirect page would not have many links to it, so would have a low
PR in itself. - Surely this would still add to the main site's PR though?