Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > identify dll file

identify dll file

Eli Aran

i am looking for a simple program that can identify the software that is
using (dependant on) a specific dll file.
i am not looking for something that goes over all my dll files and tells me
which of them don't have a matching program using it.
its the other way arround.
i want the program to be able to tell me what program *uses* a specific dll
file i tell it to look into.

Eli Aran

there may be a web page that actually gives this information as a service

"Eli Aran" <(E-Mail Removed)>
:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i am looking for a simple program that can identify the software that is
> using (dependant on) a specific dll file.
> i am not looking for something that goes over all my dll files and tells

me
> which of them don't have a matching program using it.
> its the other way arround.
> i want the program to be able to tell me what program *uses* a specific

dll
> file i tell it to look into.

why?

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 20:46:46 +0200, Eli Aran wrote:

>i am looking for a simple program that can identify the software that is
>using (dependant on) a specific dll file.

Dependancy Walker, is a good place to start.
http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Another is www.google.com

Another is previous posts in 24HSHD, in a previous thread
http://groups.google.com/groups?grou...pport.helpdesk
I mentioned dependancy walker another poster pointed out another good
app.

>i am not looking for something that goes over all my dll files and tells me
>which of them don't have a matching program using it.
>its the other way arround.

Can you imagine how many files would need checked to work that one out?
A DLL just sitting there could be called by anything at anytime.

>i want the program to be able to tell me what program *uses* a specific dll
>file i tell it to look into.

Viewing the current running processes / libraries helps,
www.sysinternals.com , see the utilities there.
ListDLLs
Process Explorer
File Mon

Me

Mike

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 20:46:46 +0200, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Eli Aran scrawled:

<snip>

>i want the program to be able to tell me what program *uses*
>a specific dll file i tell it to look into.

It ain't gonna happen. You might as well ask who
reads any particular book, or who drives any particular
car. The best you are going to get is WHAT a particular
library (.dll) is used for; what functions it holds for other
programs.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 20:46:46 +0200, "Eli Aran" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|> i am looking for a simple program that can identify the software that is
|> using (dependant on) a specific dll file.
|> i am not looking for something that goes over all my dll files and tells me
|> which of them don't have a matching program using it.
|> its the other way arround.
|> i want the program to be able to tell me what program *uses* a specific dll
|> file i tell it to look into.

Dependency Walker as Why mention'd. This program and a lot of other
great tools are located on all (most) Windows install and Service Pack
CD's under <Your CD>:\SUPPORT\TOOLS