Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Booting Up XP Pro SP2

Booting Up XP Pro SP2

Luke O'Malley

First, I must apologize if this posting has appeared twice. It did
not show up when I went to the ng.

I downloaded a program & when I went to install it I received msg
from my anti-virus program that it had quaranteed something. It
installed a bunch of spyware/adware programs which I got rid of with
'ad-aware'. I turned off the PC (following procedure). When I
turned it back on it booted up to the point where you select who
will log on. I select myself and a small screen pops up with 'no' &
'yes' but no msg! No matter what you select it says it is saving my
settings. Then it just sits there. I have not been able to get
past this point.

I went in on 'safe mode' and deselected all the items in 'start up'
and tried again. Nothing, exactly the same. Then I tried
selecting, instead of safe mode, 'the last functioning setup that
worked' (something to that effect). This had no effect either.

I thought that I would try reinstalling XP Pro, but when I tried I
received a msg that the OS on my computer was newer than what I was
trying to reinstall. It would go no further.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions.

Goodwill,
Luke

P.S. If I uninstall SP2 do you think I will not receive the msg
about new & old OS?

pcbutts1

Will it boot if you log in as someone else.

"Luke O'Malley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SdHrd.6015$(E-Mail Removed)...
> First, I must apologize if this posting has appeared twice. It did
> not show up when I went to the ng.
>
> I downloaded a program & when I went to install it I received msg
> from my anti-virus program that it had quaranteed something. It
> installed a bunch of spyware/adware programs which I got rid of with
> 'ad-aware'. I turned off the PC (following procedure). When I
> turned it back on it booted up to the point where you select who
> will log on. I select myself and a small screen pops up with 'no' &
> 'yes' but no msg! No matter what you select it says it is saving my
> settings. Then it just sits there. I have not been able to get
> past this point.
>
> I went in on 'safe mode' and deselected all the items in 'start up'
> and tried again. Nothing, exactly the same. Then I tried
> selecting, instead of safe mode, 'the last functioning setup that
> worked' (something to that effect). This had no effect either.
>
> I thought that I would try reinstalling XP Pro, but when I tried I
> received a msg that the OS on my computer was newer than what I was
> trying to reinstall. It would go no further.
>
> Does anyone have any helpful suggestions.
>
> Goodwill,
> Luke
>
> P.S. If I uninstall SP2 do you think I will not receive the msg
> about new & old OS?

Luke O'Malley

pcbutts1 wrote:

> Will it boot if you log in as someone else.

> "Luke O'Malley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:SdHrd.6015$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > First, I must apologize if this posting has appeared twice. It did
> > not show up when I went to the ng.
> >
> > I downloaded a program & when I went to install it I received msg
> > from my anti-virus program that it had quaranteed something. It
> > installed a bunch of spyware/adware programs which I got rid of with
> > 'ad-aware'. I turned off the PC (following procedure). When I
> > turned it back on it booted up to the point where you select who
> > will log on. I select myself and a small screen pops up with 'no' &
> > 'yes' but no msg! No matter what you select it says it is saving my
> > settings. Then it just sits there. I have not been able to get
> > past this point.
> >
> > I went in on 'safe mode' and deselected all the items in 'start up'
> > and tried again. Nothing, exactly the same. Then I tried
> > selecting, instead of safe mode, 'the last functioning setup that
> > worked' (something to that effect). This had no effect either.
> >
> > I thought that I would try reinstalling XP Pro, but when I tried I
> > received a msg that the OS on my computer was newer than what I was
> > trying to reinstall. It would go no further.
> >
> > Does anyone have any helpful suggestions.
> >
> > Goodwill,
> > Luke
> >
> > P.S. If I uninstall SP2 do you think I will not receive the msg
> > about new & old OS?

I am the only one who uses this PC so I don't have an option to log in as
someone else.

Luke

Es

>> Will it boot if you log in as someone else.

Are you logging in as "administrator" if not theres another account you can
use. Change the way users log in and log out and then use the username
"administrator"

Luke O'Malley

In article 4lIrd.25$(E-Mail Removed),
"Es" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
-->
-->>> Will it boot if you log in as someone else.
-->
-->Are you logging in as "administrator" if not theres another
-->account you can
-->use. Change the way users log in and log out and then use the
-->username
-->"administrator"
-->
-->
-->
-->
Thank you for taking the time to help me with my problem!

When I booted in safe mode I was offer the option of Luke (Me) of
Administrator. I selected Administrator and entered a password and
it brought me to the opening desktop - different from my usual one.
I went of control panel and selected user accounts > change the way
users log in and out > unchecked the default. Closed and rebooted.
Entered 'administrator' and password.

The PC said it was retrieving my settings and the mysterious box
appeared again! I selected 'yes' and it quickly went to what I
think is the Windows security screen - where you select firewall,
etc. It only flashed for a second and returned to the log on
window. Repeated above and selected 'no' and it did the same thing
again. It said it was saving my settings. It went back to the log
on window again.

Luke

pcbutts1

Boot into safe mode and uninstall sp2.

"Luke O'Malley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:50Jrd.6022$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article 4lIrd.25$(E-Mail Removed),
> "Es" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
> -->
> -->>> Will it boot if you log in as someone else.
> -->
> -->Are you logging in as "administrator" if not theres another
> -->account you can
> -->use. Change the way users log in and log out and then use the
> -->username
> -->"administrator"
> -->
> -->
> -->
> -->
> Thank you for taking the time to help me with my problem!
>
> When I booted in safe mode I was offer the option of Luke (Me) of
> Administrator. I selected Administrator and entered a password and
> it brought me to the opening desktop - different from my usual one.
> I went of control panel and selected user accounts > change the way
> users log in and out > unchecked the default. Closed and rebooted.
> Entered 'administrator' and password.
>
> The PC said it was retrieving my settings and the mysterious box
> appeared again! I selected 'yes' and it quickly went to what I
> think is the Windows security screen - where you select firewall,
> etc. It only flashed for a second and returned to the log on
> window. Repeated above and selected 'no' and it did the same thing
> again. It said it was saving my settings. It went back to the log
> on window again.
>
> Luke

Ron Martell

Luke O'Malley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>First, I must apologize if this posting has appeared twice. It did
>not show up when I went to the ng.
>
>I downloaded a program & when I went to install it I received msg
>from my anti-virus program that it had quaranteed something. It
>installed a bunch of spyware/adware programs which I got rid of with
>'ad-aware'. I turned off the PC (following procedure). When I
>turned it back on it booted up to the point where you select who
>will log on. I select myself and a small screen pops up with 'no' &
>'yes' but no msg! No matter what you select it says it is saving my
>settings. Then it just sits there. I have not been able to get
>past this point.
>
>I went in on 'safe mode' and deselected all the items in 'start up'
>and tried again. Nothing, exactly the same. Then I tried
>selecting, instead of safe mode, 'the last functioning setup that
>worked' (something to that effect). This had no effect either.
>
>I thought that I would try reinstalling XP Pro, but when I tried I
>received a msg that the OS on my computer was newer than what I was
>trying to reinstall. It would go no further.
>
>Does anyone have any helpful suggestions.
>
>Goodwill,
>Luke
>
>P.S. If I uninstall SP2 do you think I will not receive the msg
>about new & old OS?

1. Ad-Aware by itself is not enough to fully clean up spyware on your
machine. You need to use a multi-step approach, preferably in the
following order:
- CWShredder 2.0
- Ad-Aware SE 1.5 with latest updates
- Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3 with latest updates
- HiJackThis 1.98.2 and post the log to one of the HiJackThis
discussion forums or back to this newsgroup.

For further advice see MVP Jim Eshelman's Quick Fix page at
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

2. You need to create a new XP install CD with SP2 slipstreamed onto
it. See http://www.helpwithwindows.com/Windo...p2-bootcd.html
Then you can do a repair install over top of your damaged XP if
needed.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Luke O'Malley

In article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
-->
-->Luke O'Malley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
-->
-->>First, I must apologize if this posting has appeared twice. It
-->did
-->>not show up when I went to the ng.
-->>
[...]
-->--
-->Microsoft MVP
-->On-Line Help Computer Service
-->http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
-->
-->"The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat
-->much."
-->
-->
Thank you for taking the time to help me. I will follow your
suggestions.

Goodwill,
Luke

Luke O'Malley

In article tGJrd.37344$(E-Mail Removed),
"pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
-->
-->Boot into safe mode and uninstall sp2.
-->
-->--
-->
-->
-->The best live web video on the internet
-->http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
-->Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
-->
-->
-->
-->"Luke O'Malley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
-->news:50Jrd.6022$(E-Mail Removed)...
-->> In article 4lIrd.25$(E-Mail Removed),
-->> "Es" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
-->> -->
[...]

Thank you for the suggestion.

Luke