Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Command Prompt..Help to Decipher This please...

Command Prompt..Help to Decipher This please...

bonecrusher

Hi..I am trying to make a bootable CDrom for XP....I have followed
directions and have everything in a folder and subfolders to be
Burnt......This Folder is on my D: Drive and named BCD........My CDWriter is
Drive E.........Below is the final paragraph of instruction......Can
somebody please explain exactly in easy instruction what I do after entering
Command Prompt please..cause I do not understand what I have to do...Thanks
Ron NZ

>Open a command prompt, go to the d:\bcd folder and run:
>For Windows XP Professional: bcd wxppro.
>This will build the (bootable) ISO image and burn it to your recorder

Jerry G.

This is an interesting question. Maybe what I gave you below, may give you
some leads. If you figure this one out, I would also like to know the
answer.

Your CD burning software is supposed to have an option where when you are
burning a CD disk, it should create this from your operating system. But, I
think it will be of an MS-Dos boot. To boot NTSF, this is a secure format,
and may only be bootable from the installed operating system.

If your computer is formatted in FAT, you should be able to create a boot
floppy very easily that will allow you to see the hard disk. There is no
real security with FAT. Any standard boot CD will work for FAT as long as
the version number is compatible. Even a Win98 boot floppy will allow an XP
machine to be booted, if the format is in FAT. Your CD burning software
should have the option to create a boot CD for you. It has to be properly
done in the process. You cannot easily place files on to the disk. The BIOS
start-up files have to be in the proper physical location on the disk. It is
also important that the computer can do a CD boot in the first place. There
are many older computers that cannot.

Below are some sites that are very good to know about.

XP CD Start-up Information:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...tup-Disk.shtml

This site is very good for an explanation about making a boot floppy (this
is a start):
http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm#71

Very Important!
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];310994

--

Jerry G.
======

"bonecrusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi..I am trying to make a bootable CDrom for XP....I have followed
directions and have everything in a folder and subfolders to be
Burnt......This Folder is on my D: Drive and named BCD........My CDWriter is
Drive E.........Below is the final paragraph of instruction......Can
somebody please explain exactly in easy instruction what I do after entering
Command Prompt please..cause I do not understand what I have to do...Thanks
Ron NZ

>Open a command prompt, go to the d:\bcd folder and run:
>For Windows XP Professional: bcd wxppro.
>This will build the (bootable) ISO image and burn it to your recorder

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

bonecrusher wrote:
> Hi..I am trying to make a bootable CDrom for XP....I have followed
> directions and have everything in a folder and subfolders to be
> Burnt......This Folder is on my D: Drive and named BCD........My CDWriter is
> Drive E.........Below is the final paragraph of instruction......Can
> somebody please explain exactly in easy instruction what I do after entering
> Command Prompt please..cause I do not understand what I have to do...Thanks
> Ron NZ
>

>>Open a command prompt, go to the d:\bcd folder and run:
>>For Windows XP Professional: bcd wxppro.
>>This will build the (bootable) ISO image and burn it to your recorder

Apparently you have a program called BCD ( http://www.nu2.nu/bcd/ ) that
will create the disk for you. Change directory to the bcd folder:

d:
cd \bcd

Then to run the program, type:

bcd wxppro