Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > APC battery b/u query

APC battery b/u query

MB_

I use the APC ES-500 as a battery backup for my Dell 2400 system.

We had a 15-hour power failure. At the time my computer was off, but
obviously the battery got drained.

So the power has been back on for 5 hours (and I have been using my computer
for that time).

But the software still indicates that the battery capacity is 0% and that it
is charging.

Shouldn't it have more than 0% by this time??

Mel

Toolman Tim

"MB_" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rKwrd.413$(E-Mail Removed)...
|I use the APC ES-500 as a battery backup for my Dell 2400 system.
|
| We had a 15-hour power failure. At the time my computer was off, but
| obviously the battery got drained.
|
| So the power has been back on for 5 hours (and I have been using my
computer
| for that time).
|
| But the software still indicates that the battery capacity is 0% and that
it
| is charging.
|
| Shouldn't it have more than 0% by this time??
|
| Mel

Probably. How old is the unit? Most of the batteries in UPS devices need to
be replaced every one to two years.

MB_

Hi Toolman:

I forgot that the cable modem was also attached to the APC. That is always
on, so perhaps it drained the APC.

Currently the APC now says it is 70% charged. It sure seems SLOW....

Mel

news:APwrd.681$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "MB_" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:rKwrd.413$(E-Mail Removed)...
> |I use the APC ES-500 as a battery backup for my Dell 2400 system.
> |
> | We had a 15-hour power failure. At the time my computer was off, but
> | obviously the battery got drained.
> |
> | So the power has been back on for 5 hours (and I have been using my
> computer
> | for that time).
> |
> | But the software still indicates that the battery capacity is 0% and
> that
> it
> | is charging.
> |
> | Shouldn't it have more than 0% by this time??
> |
> | Mel
> |
> Probably. How old is the unit? Most of the batteries in UPS devices need
> be replaced every one to two years.

Toolman Tim

Once it's charged, run it's self-test, just to be sure ;o)

"MB_" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wBIrd.467$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hi Toolman:
|
| I forgot that the cable modem was also attached to the APC. That is always
| on, so perhaps it drained the APC.
|
| Currently the APC now says it is 70% charged. It sure seems SLOW....
|
| Mel
|

| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:APwrd.681$(E-Mail Removed)...
| >
| > "MB_" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:rKwrd.413$(E-Mail Removed)...
| > |I use the APC ES-500 as a battery backup for my Dell 2400 system.
| > |
| > | We had a 15-hour power failure. At the time my computer was off, but
| > | obviously the battery got drained.
| > |
| > | So the power has been back on for 5 hours (and I have been using my
| > computer
| > | for that time).
| > |
| > | But the software still indicates that the battery capacity is 0% and
| > that
| > it
| > | is charging.
| > |
| > | Shouldn't it have more than 0% by this time??
| > |
| > | Mel
| > |
| > Probably. How old is the unit? Most of the batteries in UPS devices need
| > be replaced every one to two years.

MB_

Do you mean unplugging it and seeing if it kicks in?

Mel
news:djOrd.39$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Once it's charged, run it's self-test, just to be sure ;o)
>
> "MB_" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wBIrd.467$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Hi Toolman:
> |
> | I forgot that the cable modem was also attached to the APC. That is
> always
> | on, so perhaps it drained the APC.
> |
> | Currently the APC now says it is 70% charged. It sure seems SLOW....
> |
> | Mel
> |

> | "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:APwrd.681$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | >
> | > "MB_" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | > news:rKwrd.413$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | > |
> | > |
> | > computer
> | > |
> | > that
> | > it
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > Probably. How old is the unit? Most of the batteries in UPS devices
> need
> | > be replaced every one to two years.

Toolman Tim

Never! That disconnects the ground, and can cause damage both to the
equipment and the devices plugged into it. There should either be a switch
on the unit for testing, or there should be a software test in PowerChute.
Or if you have a switched outlet like a surge protector strip, power down
everything, and put the switch between the AC and the UPS. Then you can flip
the switch without breaking the ground connection (although is still not
highly recommended).

You want to determine a couple of things about your system: how long it
takes to fully shut down, and how long your UPS can run. It isn't good to
have it run down without switching your system off. That's what the software
and USB cable is for. Once you know how long you need, in the APC PowerChute
software, set the shutdown delay and such to a few minutes more than your
computer actually takes to shut down, but not more than you expect the
batteries to last. (The ES-500 wouldn't be adequate for my system - if
everything is on, the batteries would drain before the system shut down.)

I took a quick look at the specs on that unit, and it said that it requires
16 hours to fully charge.

"MB_" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eEPrd.18$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Do you mean unplugging it and seeing if it kicks in?
|
| Mel
| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:djOrd.39$(E-Mail Removed)...
| > Once it's charged, run it's self-test, just to be sure ;o)
| >
| > "MB_" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:wBIrd.467$(E-Mail Removed)...
| > | Hi Toolman:
| > |
| > | I forgot that the cable modem was also attached to the APC. That is
| > always
| > | on, so perhaps it drained the APC.
| > |
| > | Currently the APC now says it is 70% charged. It sure seems SLOW....
| > |
| > | Mel
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > | news:APwrd.681$(E-Mail Removed)...

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > need

| > |
| > |

APC Biometric Mouse Password Manager review Silverstrand Front Page News 0 12-29-2005 11:35 PM
APC Biometric Password Manager Review Silverstrand Front Page News 0 09-26-2005 01:02 AM
APC BX1500 nYcTracks Computer Support 3 09-25-2005 04:08 PM
APC Network Management Cards Network Time Protocol Support NOT! Ed M Cisco 2 11-19-2003 07:57 PM
Re: Anyone have APC power backup for home theater?? Darrel Christenson DVD Video 0 08-23-2003 04:18 AM

Advertisments