Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Req Help with HP 7660 Printer Software Install....Access Denied

Req Help with HP 7660 Printer Software Install....Access Denied

Bobbii

I have an HP Photosmart 7660 printer and when I try to install the
"Software" that came with it, I get a message that says "Access
Denied".

I was able to install the "driver" for the printer, by just connecting
it to a USB Port and letting the system see it....but I can't get the
software to install.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2.

I spent over an hour on the phone with HP Support, and their final
suggestion was to "format and re-install" XP......I really don't want
to do that unless absolutely necessary.

If anyone else has experienced this problem and has a solution, I
would be very grateful for any assistance you could/would offer to me.

There is a small program on the HP Support Web Site that is supposed
to "fix the Access Denied" problem, but in my case it did not help.

Please help me with this problem, if you have any suggestions.

Thanks much.

G. Morgan

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 02:43:01 GMT "Bobbii"
used 23 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

>I have an HP Photosmart 7660 printer and when I try to install the
>"Software" that came with it, I get a message that says "Access
>Denied".

<snip>

Do you have administrator privileges or are you logging on with a
"limited" account?

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

Bobbii

Yes, I have administrator privleges. I'm the only user of this
PC.Thanks for the suggestion tho.
Any other ideas?

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 20:48:22 -0600, G. Morgan
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 02:43:01 GMT "Bobbii"
>used 23 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>
>>I have an HP Photosmart 7660 printer and when I try to install the
>>"Software" that came with it, I get a message that says "Access
>>Denied".

><snip>
>
>Do you have administrator privileges or are you logging on with a
>"limited" account?

Unk

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 02:43:01 GMT, Bobbii <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have an HP Photosmart 7660 printer and when I try to install the
>"Software" that came with it, I get a message that says "Access
>Denied".
>
>I was able to install the "driver" for the printer, by just connecting
>it to a USB Port and letting the system see it....but I can't get the
>software to install.
>
>I am running Windows XP Pro SP2.
>
>I spent over an hour on the phone with HP Support, and their final
>suggestion was to "format and re-install" XP......I really don't want
>to do that unless absolutely necessary.
>
>If anyone else has experienced this problem and has a solution, I
>would be very grateful for any assistance you could/would offer to me.
>
>There is a small program on the HP Support Web Site that is supposed
>to "fix the Access Denied" problem, but in my case it did not help.
>
>Please help me with this problem, if you have any suggestions.
>
>Thanks much.

Try installing from the safe mode:
After the Power On Self Test (POST), press and hold the F8 key.

WormWood

"Bobbii" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an HP Photosmart 7660 printer and when I try to install the
> "Software" that came with it, I get a message that says "Access
> Denied".
>
> I was able to install the "driver" for the printer, by just connecting
> it to a USB Port and letting the system see it....but I can't get the
> software to install.
>
> I am running Windows XP Pro SP2.
>
> I spent over an hour on the phone with HP Support, and their final
> suggestion was to "format and re-install" XP......I really don't want
> to do that unless absolutely necessary.
>
> If anyone else has experienced this problem and has a solution, I
> would be very grateful for any assistance you could/would offer to me.
>
> There is a small program on the HP Support Web Site that is supposed
> to "fix the Access Denied" problem, but in my case it did not help.
>
> Please help me with this problem, if you have any suggestions.
>
> Thanks much.

The driver is all you actually need to use the printer. Printers are
usually shipped with bundled software which are mostly "project" items
such as label makers, card making, etc. which you may find allready
installed with some other programs.

---
Outgoing mail is outgoing except during reverse episodes. The delimiter
is not worthy of being called a delimiter.

Bobbii

Thank you Unk for that suggestion.I had not thought about doiing it
that way....so I just tried it, but no luck....I got the message "The
Windows Installer Service could not be acessed. This can occur if you
are running Windows in Safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not
correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:36:28 -0500, Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 02:43:01 GMT, Bobbii <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have an HP Photosmart 7660 printer and when I try to install the
>>"Software" that came with it, I get a message that says "Access
>>Denied".
>>
>>I was able to install the "driver" for the printer, by just connecting
>>it to a USB Port and letting the system see it....but I can't get the
>>software to install.
>>
>>I am running Windows XP Pro SP2.
>>
>>I spent over an hour on the phone with HP Support, and their final
>>suggestion was to "format and re-install" XP......I really don't want
>>to do that unless absolutely necessary.
>>
>>If anyone else has experienced this problem and has a solution, I
>>would be very grateful for any assistance you could/would offer to me.
>>
>>There is a small program on the HP Support Web Site that is supposed
>>to "fix the Access Denied" problem, but in my case it did not help.
>>
>>Please help me with this problem, if you have any suggestions.
>>
>>Thanks much.

>Try installing from the safe mode:
>After the Power On Self Test (POST), press and hold the F8 key.

Bobbii

Thanks WormWood. Your are correct, and in fact, I have been using the
printer for a couple of days now....but it just bugs the crap out of
me that I can/t use the software....or at least install it and find
out for myself whether it is useful or not.

"Bobbii" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks WormWood. Your are correct, and in fact, I have been using the
> printer for a couple of days now....but it just bugs the crap out of
> me that I can/t use the software....or at least install it and find
> out for myself whether it is useful or not.

<snip>

Note the names of the programs on the disk and take them to Google, find
out if the software is something you want / need. And then, it may just
be an issue you don't think is worth the bugging you would get by
reinstalling your OS. My $0.032.

<another snip>

Bobbii

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that.