Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > new mobo and cpu, but same HDD = problems?

Reply
Thread Tools

new mobo and cpu, but same HDD = problems?

 
 
Johnny8977
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-29-2004
All

I'm putting together a new system together for my younger brother, which
means new everything but he wants to keep his old HDD cos it has all his
stuff on. Can I simply plug everything togther and reinstall drivers etc or
is it going to be more difficult than that?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
PC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-29-2004

"Johnny8977" <(E-Mail Removed)***NOSPAM***> wrote in message
news:41abb2df$0$48217$(E-Mail Removed)...
> All
>
> I'm putting together a new system together for my younger brother, which
> means new everything but he wants to keep his old HDD cos it has all his
> stuff on. Can I simply plug everything togther and reinstall drivers etc
> or is it going to be more difficult than that?



Sorry to say this but it's a bit like asking how long is a bit of string!

It simply is a case of try it and see, you may get away with it.

The 'Best' advice however is to save " all his stuff" to CDR / Hard drive/
floppy (whatever is available) and do a 'Clean' install.

Cheers
Paul.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2004
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:38:05 -0000, "Johnny8977"
<(E-Mail Removed)***NOSPAM***> wrote:

|> All
|>
|> I'm putting together a new system together for my younger brother, which
|> means new everything but he wants to keep his old HDD cos it has all his
|> stuff on. Can I simply plug everything togther and reinstall drivers etc or
|> is it going to be more difficult than that?
|>

Win98 no problem just keep giving it the drivers it ask for when you
boot up the first time.

W2k run a repair on it.

XP isn't going to like finding new hardware, you will have to run
repair, then you will run into a reactivation problem - XP allows three
hardware changes before it unactivates(?) the CPU counts as 2 -

As mentioned, your situation maybe different, count on it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
SgtMinor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2004
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:38:05 -0000, "Johnny8977"
> <(E-Mail Removed)***NOSPAM***> wrote:
>
> |> All
> |>
> |> I'm putting together a new system together for my younger brother, which
> |> means new everything but he wants to keep his old HDD cos it has all his
> |> stuff on. Can I simply plug everything togther and reinstall drivers etc or
> |> is it going to be more difficult than that?
> |>
>
> Win98 no problem just keep giving it the drivers it ask for when you
> boot up the first time.
>
> W2k run a repair on it.
>
> XP isn't going to like finding new hardware, you will have to run
> repair, then you will run into a reactivation problem - XP allows three
> hardware changes before it unactivates(?) the CPU counts as 2 -


It's not actually counting the number of changes, but there's like a
vote, see? All very simple, really.

From Microsoft:

"How does product activation determine tolerance? In other words, how
many components of the PC must change before I am required to reactivate?

Common changes to hardware such as upgrading a video card, adding a
second hard disk drive, adding RAM or upgrading a CD-ROM device will not
require the system to be reactivated.

Specifically, product activation determines tolerance through a voting
mechanism. There are 10 hardware characteristics used in creating the
hardware hash. Each characteristic is worth one vote, except the network
card which is worth three votes. When thinking of tolerance, it's
easiest to think about what has not changed instead of what has changed.
When the current hardware hash is compared to the original hardware
hash, there must be 7 or more matching points for the two hardware
hashes to be considered in tolerance. If the network card is the same,
then only 4 additional characteristics must match (because the network
card is worth 3, for a total of 7). If the network card is not the same,
then a total of 7 characteristics other than the network card must be
the same. If the device is a laptop (specifically a dockable device),
additional tolerance is allotted and there need be only 4 or more
matching points. Therefore, if the device is dockable and the network
card is the same, only one other characteristic must be the same for a
total vote of 4. If the device is dockable and the network card is not
the same, then a total of 4 characteristics other than the network card
must be the same."

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx

--
"I told you it was simple."

>
> As mentioned, your situation maybe different, count on it.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2004
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:57:44 -0500, SgtMinor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
|> > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:38:05 -0000, "Johnny8977"
|> > <(E-Mail Removed)***NOSPAM***> wrote:
|> >
|> > |> All
|> > |>
|> > |> I'm putting together a new system together for my younger brother, which
|> > |> means new everything but he wants to keep his old HDD cos it has all his
|> > |> stuff on. Can I simply plug everything togther and reinstall drivers etc or
|> > |> is it going to be more difficult than that?
|> > |>
|> >
|> > Win98 no problem just keep giving it the drivers it ask for when you
|> > boot up the first time.
|> >
|> > W2k run a repair on it.
|> >
|> > XP isn't going to like finding new hardware, you will have to run
|> > repair, then you will run into a reactivation problem - XP allows three
|> > hardware changes before it unactivates(?) the CPU counts as 2 -
|>
|> It's not actually counting the number of changes, but there's like a
|> vote, see? All very simple, really.

Call em what you want, if less than seven (of the 10) agree you
re-activate.

http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-wpa.txt

"Typically all bit-fields with the exception of the unused field and
the 'dockable' field are compared. If more than three of these ten
bit-fields have changed in a) since product activation, re-activation
is required.

This means, for example, that in our above real-world example, we
could replace the harddrive and the CD-ROM drive and substantially
upgrade our RAM without having to re-activate our Windows XP
installation."

The exception is if you have selected your computer to allow docking,
which gives more leeway.

I think that's what Microsoft attempts to say.

|> From Microsoft:
|>
|> "How does product activation determine tolerance? In other words, how
|> many components of the PC must change before I am required to reactivate?
|>
|> Common changes to hardware such as upgrading a video card, adding a
|> second hard disk drive, adding RAM or upgrading a CD-ROM device will not
|> require the system to be reactivated.
|>
|> Specifically, product activation determines tolerance through a voting
|> mechanism. There are 10 hardware characteristics used in creating the
|> hardware hash. Each characteristic is worth one vote, except the network
|> card which is worth three votes. When thinking of tolerance, it's
|> easiest to think about what has not changed instead of what has changed.
|> When the current hardware hash is compared to the original hardware
|> hash, there must be 7 or more matching points for the two hardware
|> hashes to be considered in tolerance. If the network card is the same,
|> then only 4 additional characteristics must match (because the network
|> card is worth 3, for a total of 7). If the network card is not the same,
|> then a total of 7 characteristics other than the network card must be
|> the same. If the device is a laptop (specifically a dockable device),
|> additional tolerance is allotted and there need be only 4 or more
|> matching points. Therefore, if the device is dockable and the network
|> card is the same, only one other characteristic must be the same for a
|> total vote of 4. If the device is dockable and the network card is not
|> the same, then a total of 4 characteristics other than the network card
|> must be the same."
|>
|> http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx

 
Reply With Quote
 
Adam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2004
Johnny

You best bet is to put a new HHD in as the main drive, installing the OS etc
to it. Install the old HHD a slave to this one and it will just appear as
another drive and you will be able to see everything that was on it.

Adam

"Johnny8977" <(E-Mail Removed)***NOSPAM***> wrote in message
news:41abb2df$0$48217$(E-Mail Removed)...
> All
>
> I'm putting together a new system together for my younger brother, which
> means new everything but he wants to keep his old HDD cos it has all his
> stuff on. Can I simply plug everything togther and reinstall drivers etc
> or is it going to be more difficult than that?
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Johnny8977
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2004
Actually, that's a good plan. His old HDD was only 40gb so a bit extra won't
go a miss. Cheers, and thanks to everyone else who replied.


"Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:coibmv$h22$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Johnny
>
> You best bet is to put a new HHD in as the main drive, installing the OS
> etc to it. Install the old HHD a slave to this one and it will just
> appear as another drive and you will be able to see everything that was on
> it.
>
> Adam
>
> "Johnny8977" <(E-Mail Removed)***NOSPAM***> wrote in message
> news:41abb2df$0$48217$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> All
>>
>> I'm putting together a new system together for my younger brother, which
>> means new everything but he wants to keep his old HDD cos it has all his
>> stuff on. Can I simply plug everything togther and reinstall drivers etc
>> or is it going to be more difficult than that?
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Sayso_Takewashi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2004
"Johnny8977" <(E-Mail Removed)***NOSPAM***> wrote in
<41acbec0$0$532$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>Actually, that's a good plan. His old HDD was only 40gb so a bit extra
>won't go a miss. Cheers, and thanks to everyone else who replied.


Just one thing...

I used my old system disk on a few new pcs.If you saveboot or repair-
install,you could work after some tuning with your "old windows" again.

It works,but be prepaired to get some strange errors sometimes...


----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my laptop sata hdd crahed,can i use seagate portable hdd as laptopsata hdd through some convertors?? ashjas Computer Support 2 03-29-2008 07:24 PM
SATA HDD (PCI card, boot drive) + new IDE HDD on same computer, BIOS settings? agent8698@yahoo.com Computer Support 7 04-02-2006 06:55 AM
Clone Notebook HDD to new HDD JTJersey Computer Information 4 06-01-2004 01:54 AM
data transfer from old hdd to new large hdd: Martin Computer Information 5 04-05-2004 03:36 AM
Powerbook HDD and notebook HDD Michael Brown Computer Information 1 10-27-2003 03:06 AM



Advertisments