Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Using Cable Select

Using Cable Select

John

I have brought a new Harddrive which came with a ATA 100 cable I wanted to
use this drive as a slave to my existing drive using the cable supplied can
I connect using the cable select option and has this any advantages. will I
have to format the old drive to do this or can I just change the jumper or
is it better just to add the new drive as a slave.
Thanks
John

Toolman Tim

"John" <john.ansell**NOSE HAIR**@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:1Iqqd.178$(E-Mail Removed)...
|I have brought a new Harddrive which came with a ATA 100 cable I wanted to
| use this drive as a slave to my existing drive using the cable supplied
can
| I connect using the cable select option and has this any advantages. will
| have to format the old drive to do this or can I just change the jumper or
| is it better just to add the new drive as a slave.
| Thanks
| John

Sure - your existing drive should be on the far end of the cable, the new
drive on the inside connection. Both drives set to CS. No need to format the
old drive.

Personally, I use the master/slave setup instead - the existing drive is set
to master, the new drive is set to slave, and it doesn't matter which
connector is used.

Be sure to use the new 80 wire cable if your old one is 40 wire.

John

So do you not get any better transfer speed using cable select
I thought you might have to use cable select to use the ultra ATA 100 mode

John

news:h0rqd.23350$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "John" <john.ansell**NOSE HAIR**@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:1Iqqd.178$(E-Mail Removed)...
> |I have brought a new Harddrive which came with a ATA 100 cable I wanted

> | use this drive as a slave to my existing drive using the cable supplied
> can
> | I connect using the cable select option and has this any advantages.

will
> | have to format the old drive to do this or can I just change the jumper

or
> | is it better just to add the new drive as a slave.
> | Thanks
> | John
> |
> Sure - your existing drive should be on the far end of the cable, the new
> drive on the inside connection. Both drives set to CS. No need to format

the
> old drive.
>
> Personally, I use the master/slave setup instead - the existing drive is

set
> to master, the new drive is set to slave, and it doesn't matter which
> connector is used.
>
> Be sure to use the new 80 wire cable if your old one is 40 wire.

Toolman Tim

Not a bit. The ATA100 drives will not work correctly on the 40 wire cables
though.

"John" <john.ansell**NOSE HAIR**@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:S9rqd.199$(E-Mail Removed)...
| So do you not get any better transfer speed using cable select
| I thought you might have to use cable select to use the ultra ATA 100 mode
|
| John
|
| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:h0rqd.23350$(E-Mail Removed)...
| >
| > "John" <john.ansell**NOSE HAIR**@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
| > news:1Iqqd.178$(E-Mail Removed)...
| > |I have brought a new Harddrive which came with a ATA 100 cable I wanted
| > | use this drive as a slave to my existing drive using the cable
supplied
| > can
| > | I connect using the cable select option and has this any advantages.
| will
| > | have to format the old drive to do this or can I just change the
jumper
| or
| > | is it better just to add the new drive as a slave.
| > | Thanks
| > | John
| > |
| > Sure - your existing drive should be on the far end of the cable, the
new
| > drive on the inside connection. Both drives set to CS. No need to format
| the
| > old drive.
| >
| > Personally, I use the master/slave setup instead - the existing drive is
| set
| > to master, the new drive is set to slave, and it doesn't matter which
| > connector is used.
| >
| > Be sure to use the new 80 wire cable if your old one is 40 wire.

John

Thanks Ill Get on with it then and stick to the master / slave set up.
thanks for your help
John

news:Vorqd.23395$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not a bit. The ATA100 drives will not work correctly on the 40 wire cables
> though.
>
> "John" <john.ansell**NOSE HAIR**@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:S9rqd.199$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | So do you not get any better transfer speed using cable select
> | I thought you might have to use cable select to use the ultra ATA 100

mode

> | John
> |
> | "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:h0rqd.23350$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | >
> | > "John" <john.ansell**NOSE HAIR**@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> | > news:1Iqqd.178$(E-Mail Removed)...

wanted
> supplied
> | > can
> | will
> jumper
> | or
> | > |
> | > Sure - your existing drive should be on the far end of the cable, the
> new
> | > drive on the inside connection. Both drives set to CS. No need to

format
> | the
> | > old drive.
> | >
> | > Personally, I use the master/slave setup instead - the existing drive

is
> | set
> | > to master, the new drive is set to slave, and it doesn't matter which
> | > connector is used.
> | >
> | > Be sure to use the new 80 wire cable if your old one is 40 wire.

Toolman Tim

You're welcome!

"John" <john.ansell**NOSE HAIR**@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:wprqd.225$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Thanks Ill Get on with it then and stick to the master / slave set up.
| thanks for your help
| John
|

| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:Vorqd.23395$(E-Mail Removed)...
| > Not a bit. The ATA100 drives will not work correctly on the 40 wire
cables
| > though.
| >
| > "John" <john.ansell**NOSE HAIR**@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
| > news:S9rqd.199$(E-Mail Removed)...
| > | So do you not get any better transfer speed using cable select
| > | I thought you might have to use cable select to use the ultra ATA 100
| mode
| > |
| > | John
| > |
| > | "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > | news:h0rqd.23350$(E-Mail Removed)...

| wanted
| > supplied
| > | will
| > jumper
| > | or
| > | > |
| > new
| format
| > | the

| is
| > | set

| > |
| > |

Barry OGrady

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:39:25 GMT, "John" <john.ansell**NOSE HAIR**@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I have brought a new Harddrive which came with a ATA 100 cable I wanted to
>use this drive as a slave to my existing drive using the cable supplied can
>I connect using the cable select option and has this any advantages. will I
>have to format the old drive to do this or can I just change the jumper or
>is it better just to add the new drive as a slave.

In order for us to be able to help you need to learn to punctuate.

>Thanks
>John

-Barry
========