Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows 98 Booting Stopped by Illegal Op Message?

Windows 98 Booting Stopped by Illegal Op Message?

John

I have an older Dell P100t desktop running Windows 98. At least it was
running W98. Yesterday, getting ready to give the computer to a friend, I
installed AOL using a CD I got from a display in the post office. The
packaging said it was version 9.0. The installation went fine but it somehow
installed version 6.0 instead of 9.0. I guess it figured out that it was
installing on an older computer and decided 6.0 was most appropriate.
Anyway, the time cemae for the system to reboot and here's where the problem
popped up. On rebooting the process begain and continued up to the point
where my desktop and the task bar appeared, but then up pops and error
message that says Explorer. This program has performed an illegal operation
and will be shut down. Clicking details produced this
"Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module shell22.dll at
0167:7fcefdd7." The booting process would not continue. I even tried booting
in safe mode but got the same error message.

Can anyone helpo me to get beyond this problem and get this computer to
boot?

Thanks so much.

John

Toolman Tim

news:_qqqd.3282$(E-Mail Removed)...
|I have an older Dell P100t desktop running Windows 98. At least it was
| running W98. Yesterday, getting ready to give the computer to a friend, I
| installed AOL using a CD I got from a display in the post office. The
| packaging said it was version 9.0. The installation went fine but it
somehow
| installed version 6.0 instead of 9.0. I guess it figured out that it was
| installing on an older computer and decided 6.0 was most appropriate.
| Anyway, the time cemae for the system to reboot and here's where the
problem
| popped up. On rebooting the process begain and continued up to the point
| where my desktop and the task bar appeared, but then up pops and error
| message that says Explorer. This program has performed an illegal
operation
| and will be shut down. Clicking details produced this
| "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module shell22.dll at
| 0167:7fcefdd7." The booting process would not continue. I even tried
booting
| in safe mode but got the same error message.
|
| Can anyone helpo me to get beyond this problem and get this computer to
| boot?
|
| Thanks so much.

First thing I'd do is see if it will boot in safe mode (press F8 after
memory test/drive check and POST end, Windows starts with a boot menu). If
it does, uninstall AOL in safe mode, and reboot. And tell your friend they
really could do better than using AOhelL for their Internet service.

John

Thanks, Tim, but I tried that. Same error message pops up. That's what I
intended to do, uninstall AOL. But I can't complete the booting process,
even in safe mode.

newsirqd.23374$(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:_qqqd.3282$(E-Mail Removed)...
> |I have an older Dell P100t desktop running Windows 98. At least it was
> | running W98. Yesterday, getting ready to give the computer to a friend,
> | installed AOL using a CD I got from a display in the post office. The
> | packaging said it was version 9.0. The installation went fine but it
> somehow
> | installed version 6.0 instead of 9.0. I guess it figured out that it was
> | installing on an older computer and decided 6.0 was most appropriate.
> | Anyway, the time cemae for the system to reboot and here's where the
> problem
> | popped up. On rebooting the process begain and continued up to the point
> | where my desktop and the task bar appeared, but then up pops and error
> | message that says Explorer. This program has performed an illegal
> operation
> | and will be shut down. Clicking details produced this
> | "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module shell22.dll at
> | 0167:7fcefdd7." The booting process would not continue. I even tried
> booting
> | in safe mode but got the same error message.
> |
> | Can anyone helpo me to get beyond this problem and get this computer to
> | boot?
> |
> | Thanks so much.
> |
> First thing I'd do is see if it will boot in safe mode (press F8 after
> memory test/drive check and POST end, Windows starts with a boot menu). If
> it does, uninstall AOL in safe mode, and reboot. And tell your friend they
> really could do better than using AOhelL for their Internet service.

Toolman Tim

Ouch. Well, let me think about it for a bit...how about this?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q237888/

news:bvrqd.3290$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Thanks, Tim, but I tried that. Same error message pops up. That's what I
| intended to do, uninstall AOL. But I can't complete the booting process,
| even in safe mode.
|
| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| newsirqd.23374$(E-Mail Removed)...
| >
| > "John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:_qqqd.3282$(E-Mail Removed)...
| > |I have an older Dell P100t desktop running Windows 98. At least it was
| > | running W98. Yesterday, getting ready to give the computer to a
friend,
| > | installed AOL using a CD I got from a display in the post office. The
| > | packaging said it was version 9.0. The installation went fine but it
| > somehow
| > | installed version 6.0 instead of 9.0. I guess it figured out that it
was
| > | installing on an older computer and decided 6.0 was most appropriate.
| > | Anyway, the time cemae for the system to reboot and here's where the
| > problem
| > | popped up. On rebooting the process begain and continued up to the
point
| > | where my desktop and the task bar appeared, but then up pops and error
| > | message that says Explorer. This program has performed an illegal
| > operation
| > | and will be shut down. Clicking details produced this
| > | "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module shell22.dll at
| > | 0167:7fcefdd7." The booting process would not continue. I even tried
| > booting
| > | in safe mode but got the same error message.
| > |
| > | Can anyone helpo me to get beyond this problem and get this computer
| > | boot?
| > |
| > | Thanks so much.
| > |
| > First thing I'd do is see if it will boot in safe mode (press F8 after
| > memory test/drive check and POST end, Windows starts with a boot menu).
If
| > it does, uninstall AOL in safe mode, and reboot. And tell your friend
they
| > really could do better than using AOhelL for their Internet service.

Toolman Tim

Sorry - you said Dell - that was for Compaq...
There are other articles at MS:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q222952/ (Novell Netware)

Worst case, you can try some other fixes: I believe there is a system file
checker in W98. But my W98 system is down. If I get it going, I'll check. Of
course, you could restore a previous system registry. That may not help if
the AOL install replaced files, not just buggered the registry. Final option
is reinstall W98. Doing that without erasing the HD often fixes problems
like this.

I'm gonna go see if I can get that W98 system running again...good luck!

news:bvrqd.3290$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Thanks, Tim, but I tried that. Same error message pops up. That's what I
| intended to do, uninstall AOL. But I can't complete the booting process,
| even in safe mode.
|
| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| newsirqd.23374$(E-Mail Removed)...
| >
| > "John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:_qqqd.3282$(E-Mail Removed)...
| > |I have an older Dell P100t desktop running Windows 98. At least it was
| > | running W98. Yesterday, getting ready to give the computer to a
friend,
| > | installed AOL using a CD I got from a display in the post office. The
| > | packaging said it was version 9.0. The installation went fine but it
| > somehow
| > | installed version 6.0 instead of 9.0. I guess it figured out that it
was
| > | installing on an older computer and decided 6.0 was most appropriate.
| > | Anyway, the time cemae for the system to reboot and here's where the
| > problem
| > | popped up. On rebooting the process begain and continued up to the
point
| > | where my desktop and the task bar appeared, but then up pops and error
| > | message that says Explorer. This program has performed an illegal
| > operation
| > | and will be shut down. Clicking details produced this
| > | "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module shell22.dll at
| > | 0167:7fcefdd7." The booting process would not continue. I even tried
| > booting
| > | in safe mode but got the same error message.
| > |
| > | Can anyone helpo me to get beyond this problem and get this computer
| > | boot?
| > |
| > | Thanks so much.
| > |