Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Heart of the Computer is . . .

Heart of the Computer is . . .

Help Wanted

Hello,
Most important component in the body is the
heart:
If the brain gives out, it is called “brain
dead”, however long-term peripherals may
keep the patient alive. If the lungs go, the
same thing, kidneys same etc. When the heart
goes . . . there is no long-term “peripheral”
for that; that is when the patient is
pronounced DEAD.

In your opinion what is the “heart” or the
most important component of the computer?
When is the computer finally pronounce
DEAD?

Dan Glybitz

"Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-news.com...

> Hello,
> Most important component in the body is the
> heart:
> If the brain gives out, it is called "brain
> dead", however long-term peripherals may
> keep the patient alive. If the lungs go, the
> same thing, kidneys same etc. When the heart
> goes . . . there is no long-term "peripheral"
> for that; that is when the patient is
> pronounced DEAD.
>
> In your opinion what is the "heart" or the
> most important component of the computer?
> When is the computer finally pronounce
> DEAD?

My first thought was Troll, but I'm worried this might actually be a serious
question?

DG.

--
"Sit back and wait, this should be fun."

Linda

"Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-news.com...

> Hello,
> Most important component in the body is the
> heart:
> If the brain gives out, it is called "brain
> dead", however long-term peripherals may
> keep the patient alive. If the lungs go, the
> same thing, kidneys same etc. When the heart
> goes . . . there is no long-term "peripheral"
> for that; that is when the patient is
> pronounced DEAD.
>
> In your opinion what is the "heart" or the
> most important component of the computer?
> When is the computer finally pronounce
> DEAD?

> <><><><><><><><>

Kill your power supply & let us know how much of your pc still works.

Flying Tiger

Dead is only possible after being alive.

So a computer cannot die.

All parts are replacable.

The most important part is the harddisk,the long term memory. the brain.

So find a way to backup your brain and live forever.

F.

Annette Kurten

"Flying Tiger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41a9e23f$0$42417$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
> Dead is only possible after being alive.
>
> So a computer cannot die.
>
> All parts are replacable.
>

> The most important part is the harddisk,the long term memory. the brain.
>
> So find a way to backup your brain and live forever.
>
> F.

The national grid>

Toolman Tim

"Flying Tiger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41a9e23f$0$42417$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
| Dead is only possible after being alive.
|
| So a computer cannot die.
|
| All parts are replacable.
|

| The most important part is the harddisk,the long term memory. the brain.
|
| So find a way to backup your brain and live forever.

I pretty much concur. Although there comes a point when the speed, memory
size limits, etc., become so troublesome that the computer system is no
longer worth repairing. Oh - then the there's the obsolescence of parts...at
some point we will no longer be able to buy good working Socket 3
motherboards <g> (Wait - hasn't that already happened? Guess I oughta dump
my 386/486 systems now.)

WormWood

news:fmnqd.23285$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Flying Tiger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41a9e23f$0$42417$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
> | Dead is only possible after being alive.
> |
> | So a computer cannot die.
> |
> | All parts are replacable.
> |

> | The most important part is the harddisk,the long term memory. the
> brain.
> |
> | So find a way to backup your brain and live forever.
> |
> I pretty much concur. Although there comes a point when the speed,
> memory
> size limits, etc., become so troublesome that the computer system is
> no
> longer worth repairing. Oh - then the there's the obsolescence of
> parts...at
> some point we will no longer be able to buy good working Socket 3
> motherboards <g> (Wait - hasn't that already happened? Guess I oughta
> dump
> my 386/486 systems now.)

You mean my 286 needs upgrading so soon? Just like 'merkin cars,
built-in obsolescence.

Toolman Tim

"WormWood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:fmnqd.23285$(E-Mail Removed)...
| >
| > "Flying Tiger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:41a9e23f$0$42417$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
| > | Dead is only possible after being alive.
| > |
| > | So a computer cannot die.
| > |
| > | All parts are replacable.
| > |
| > |
| > | The most important part is the harddisk,the long term memory. the
| > brain.
| > |
| > | So find a way to backup your brain and live forever.
| > |
| > I pretty much concur. Although there comes a point when the speed,
| > memory
| > size limits, etc., become so troublesome that the computer system is
| > no
| > longer worth repairing. Oh - then the there's the obsolescence of
| > parts...at
| > some point we will no longer be able to buy good working Socket 3
| > motherboards <g> (Wait - hasn't that already happened? Guess I oughta
| > dump
| > my 386/486 systems now.)
| >
| You mean my 286 needs upgrading so soon? Just like 'merkin cars,
| built-in obsolescence.

Yup! I gotta find some place I can dump my 486 computers soon <g>

greyhawkmud

"Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)-news.com>...
> Hello,
> Most important component in the body is the
> heart:
> If the brain gives out, it is called ?brain
> dead?, however long-term peripherals may
> keep the patient alive. If the lungs go, the
> same thing, kidneys same etc. When the heart
> goes . . . there is no long-term ?peripheral?
> for that; that is when the patient is
> pronounced DEAD.

I guess you never heard of the heart-lung machine (used in operations).
There are some experimental functioning artificial hearts.
but I guess its all kinda moot since I don't follow your assumptions.
(like someone becoming brain dead... once thats fried, what good is
the body? I havent heard of a successful human brain transplant /
replacement. Hearts do get replaced.)

> In your opinion what is the ?heart? or the
> most important component of the computer?
> When is the computer finally pronounce
> DEAD?

Might sound silly but wouldn't the system clock be the closest analogy to
the heart? Without the "pulse" of the system clock, what could a computer do?

Blinky the Shark

greyhawkmud wrote:
> "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)-news.com>...
>> Hello,
>> Most important component in the body is the
>> heart:
>> If the brain gives out, it is called ?brain
>> dead?, however long-term peripherals may
>> keep the patient alive. If the lungs go, the
>> same thing, kidneys same etc. When the heart
>> goes . . . there is no long-term ?peripheral?
>> for that; that is when the patient is
>> pronounced DEAD.

> I guess you never heard of the heart-lung machine (used in operations).
> There are some experimental functioning artificial hearts.
> but I guess its all kinda moot since I don't follow your assumptions.
> (like someone becoming brain dead... once thats fried, what good is
> the body? I havent heard of a successful human brain transplant /
> replacement. Hearts do get replaced.)

>> In your opinion what is the ?heart? or the
>> most important component of the computer?
>> When is the computer finally pronounce
>> DEAD?

> Might sound silly but wouldn't the system clock be the closest analogy to
> the heart? Without the "pulse" of the system clock, what could a computer do?

It would just sit around, watching TV, eating chocolates and getting fat.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Play Zork: http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/zork1.html

Stuff the purple heart programmers cook up Last Timer Java 10 01-02-2005 11:58 PM
OT: Not for the faint at heart.... Rowdy Yates MCSE 0 09-18-2004 11:35 PM
So far, knock on Bill Gate's heart, good experience with XPSP2 Joel Rubin Computer Support 5 08-18-2004 05:43 AM
506 heart-aches WinterBlues Cisco 0 05-28-2004 08:34 PM
Re: I've had a change of heart Relic Computer Support 0 09-01-2003 05:36 PM

Advertisments