Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Missing keyboard vowels!?

Missing keyboard vowels!?

John Smith

Interesting matter. Friend suddenly started to get problems with certain
keystrokes....
Using Microsoft Word its mainly the vowels i,u,a and o that omit to type
when he's doing text, but, surprisingly when using Outlook Express this does
not pose a prob.
I expect he could do with a good keyboard clean...but in the meanwhile
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
John

Nik Schlein

could be a corrupt font. Or a font that isn't made right.

"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:co9u70$qv2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Interesting matter. Friend suddenly started to get problems with certain
> keystrokes....
> Using Microsoft Word its mainly the vowels i,u,a and o that omit to type
> when he's doing text, but, surprisingly when using Outlook Express this
> does
> not pose a prob.
> I expect he could do with a good keyboard clean...but in the meanwhile
> Any thoughts?
> Thanks,
> John

John Smith

If so - suddenly got corrupt fonts - how to put to right?

Incidentally he experimented with Word/Ariel and Word/TNR = faults with
both...
whereas Outlook Express /Ariel and Microsoft Excel =OK with both.
-----------------

"Nik Schlein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> could be a corrupt font. Or a font that isn't made right.
>

> "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:co9u70$qv2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Interesting matter. Friend suddenly started to get problems with certain
>> keystrokes....
>> Using Microsoft Word its mainly the vowels i,u,a and o that omit to type
>> when he's doing text, but, surprisingly when using Outlook Express this
>> does
>> not pose a prob.
>> I expect he could do with a good keyboard clean...but in the meanwhile
>> Any thoughts?
>> Thanks,
>> John

Mohawk Brewing

best to check the default font, then in \windows\fonts check each one using
view.. it will tell you one is bad
when you try to open them..

"Nik Schlein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> could be a corrupt font. Or a font that isn't made right.
>

> "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:co9u70$qv2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Interesting matter. Friend suddenly started to get problems with certain
>> keystrokes....
>> Using Microsoft Word its mainly the vowels i,u,a and o that omit to type
>> when he's doing text, but, surprisingly when using Outlook Express this
>> does
>> not pose a prob.
>> I expect he could do with a good keyboard clean...but in the meanwhile
>> Any thoughts?
>> Thanks,
>> John

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:07:47 -0000, "John Smith"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> Interesting matter. Friend suddenly started to get problems with certain
|> keystrokes....
|> Using Microsoft Word its mainly the vowels i,u,a and o that omit to type
|> when he's doing text, but, surprisingly when using Outlook Express this does
|> not pose a prob.

Prank? Check auto-correct and see if those letters don't have
replacements.

Toolman Tim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:07:47 -0000, "John Smith"
| <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|
||> Interesting matter. Friend suddenly started to get problems with certain
||> keystrokes....
||> Using Microsoft Word its mainly the vowels i,u,a and o that omit to type
||> when he's doing text, but, surprisingly when using Outlook Express this
does
||> not pose a prob.
|
| Prank? Check auto-correct and see if those letters don't have
| replacements.

Oh...now *that* would be cruel!!! Heh heh...hafta remember that for the
office...

My favorite was to take a print-screen of the desktop, make that picture the
wallpaper, and turn off the icons on the desktop. People click *forever* and
nothin' happens <EG>

Second best (before Blaster, of course) was to put a shut down command in
the startup folder...

G. Morgan

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:06:50 -0800 "Toolman Tim"
used 27 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

>Oh...now *that* would be cruel!!! Heh heh...hafta remember that for the
>office...
>
>My favorite was to take a print-screen of the desktop, make that picture the
>wallpaper, and turn off the icons on the desktop. People click *forever* and
>nothin' happens <EG>
>
>Second best (before Blaster, of course) was to put a shut down command in
>the startup folder...

I used to put shell=taskman.exe in the system.ini file (pre-XP OS's)

That screwed them up pretty good.

Another favorite of mine was winnuke, it would DoS Win 95 machines and
blue screen 'em.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

Toolman Tim

"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:06:50 -0800 "Toolman Tim"
| used 27 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
|
| >Oh...now *that* would be cruel!!! Heh heh...hafta remember that for the
| >office...
| >
| >My favorite was to take a print-screen of the desktop, make that picture
the
| >wallpaper, and turn off the icons on the desktop. People click *forever*
and
| >nothin' happens <EG>
| >
| >Second best (before Blaster, of course) was to put a shut down command in
| >the startup folder...
|

| I used to put shell=taskman.exe in the system.ini file (pre-XP OS's)
|
| That screwed them up pretty good.
|
| Another favorite of mine was winnuke, it would DoS Win 95 machines and
| blue screen 'em.

Haven't heard about that one...but I've switched shells too. Guys who just
got used to W95, I'd make it look like 3.1 some days just for fun...they'd
think it was broke!