Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Command Interpreter

Command Interpreter

a.p.mews

Hi
Got an old'ish pc that works reasonably but can't get it to load software
after a reformat. It keeps asking for the: C:\Command Interpreter if I
remember correctly.
Doesn't matter what I try it always comes back with that message. What the
heck does that mean please?

The computer did work and worked very well but had to reformat because I
think it had a virus.
Trying to install Windows 98se onto a spare drive I have.

I know its a bit vague but trying to get some idea if someone can help
before setting it up again or whether its totally cream crackered. Will
come back with more info if you need it or if someone can help me.

Thanks for any help
Al

Toolman Tim

"a.p.mews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:co8anm$opk$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hi
| Got an old'ish pc that works reasonably but can't get it to load software
| after a reformat. It keeps asking for the: C:\Command Interpreter if I
| remember correctly.
| Doesn't matter what I try it always comes back with that message. What
the
| heck does that mean please?
|
| The computer did work and worked very well but had to reformat because I
| think it had a virus.
| Trying to install Windows 98se onto a spare drive I have.
|
| I know its a bit vague but trying to get some idea if someone can help
| before setting it up again or whether its totally cream crackered. Will
| come back with more info if you need it or if someone can help me.
|
| Thanks for any help
| Al

Do you have Windows *on* the drive allready? If so, when you see that
question, answer with c:\windows\command\command.com and press enter.

Once you get to a DOS prompt, copy (*not* move) that file to c:\

Rob K

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:29:10 +0000 (UTC), a.p.mews wrote:

> Hi
> Got an old'ish pc that works reasonably but can't get it to load software
> after a reformat. It keeps asking for the: C:\Command Interpreter if I
> remember correctly.
> Doesn't matter what I try it always comes back with that message. What the
> heck does that mean please?
>
> The computer did work and worked very well but had to reformat because I
> think it had a virus.
> Trying to install Windows 98se onto a spare drive I have.
>
> I know its a bit vague but trying to get some idea if someone can help
> before setting it up again or whether its totally cream crackered. Will
> come back with more info if you need it or if someone can help me.
>
> Thanks for any help
> Al

The command interpreter is exactly that : a program that 'understands'
the commands given - and is able to execute them properly.

In DOS/Windows 'command.com' is the command interpreter for DOS based
stuff. Look here:

http://command.com/
Here you see how the 'dir' command is 'interpreted'.

So, if your system complains about a missing command interpreter,
something went wrong during installation: no DOS, no Windows.

A Win 98SE 'Clean' installation should be pretty straightforward and
take care of things like copying io.sys etc to your C: drive.

What's with installing on the spare drive ?

philo

"a.p.mews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:co8anm$opk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Got an old'ish pc that works reasonably but can't get it to load software
> after a reformat. It keeps asking for the: C:\Command Interpreter if I
> remember correctly.
> Doesn't matter what I try it always comes back with that message. What
> the
> heck does that mean please?
>
> The computer did work and worked very well but had to reformat because I
> think it had a virus.
> Trying to install Windows 98se onto a spare drive I have.
>
> I know its a bit vague but trying to get some idea if someone can help
> before setting it up again or whether its totally cream crackered. Will
> come back with more info if you need it or if someone can help me.

after you formatted your drive
you need to install windows
just set your bios to boot from your cdrom
then put in your win98 cd and install

Plato

a.p.mews wrote:

> Got an old'ish pc that works reasonably but can't get it to load software
> after a reformat. It keeps asking for the: C:\Command Interpreter if I

Chances are all you have to do is boot with a bootdisk and then do a:

sys c:

a.p.mews

> > Got an old'ish pc that works reasonably but can't get it to load

software
> > after a reformat. It keeps asking for the: C:\Command Interpreter if I
> > remember correctly.
> > Doesn't matter what I try it always comes back with that message. What

the
> > heck does that mean please?
> >
> > The computer did work and worked very well but had to reformat because I
> > think it had a virus.
> > Trying to install Windows 98se onto a spare drive I have.

In answer to Rob's question 'what's with the spare drive'. I've got a couple
of old hard drives that I feel sure work but wanted to make sure before I
buy a new operating system for it.

Many thanks for all your help guys
Al

Python embedded interpreter: how to initialize the interpreter ? ycollet@freesurf.fr Python 3 01-03-2007 01:00 AM
A simple Command Interpreter Ramkumar Menon Java 1 08-11-2005 03:33 PM
XML Command Interpreter sunshine Java 2 08-10-2005 05:31 AM
Show command output interpreter Netcomp Cisco 0 07-09-2005 09:16 PM
Show command output interpreter Netcomp Cisco 0 07-09-2005 08:21 PM

Advertisments