Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to replace taskbar icon?

How to replace taskbar icon?

John Smith

I have an icon sitting in my task bar - bottom right of screen - when I
double click it a Printer Status Monitor opens.
Can I replace the actual icon graphic in the tray with another icon?
Thanks

Toolman Tim

"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:co7fd1$9ec$(E-Mail Removed)...
|I have an icon sitting in my task bar - bottom right of screen - when I
| double click it a Printer Status Monitor opens.
| Can I replace the actual icon graphic in the tray with another icon?
| Thanks

Call your printer manufacturer and suggest it to them...I can almost hear
them laughing now...

Mike Easter

John Smith wrote:
> Can I replace the actual icon graphic in the tray with another icon?

Yes.

Icon management is best done with icon managers. In order to trade the
existing icon for another one, you have to have an acceptable 'other
one' and access to where/how to trade it. Having a good choice of
alternate icons and being able to do it easily are both facilitated by
icon managers. Search for that with your favorite googler.

You can see your current 'stable' of icons in your Win 'icon place' - in
Win98 eg it can be accessed with the CP/ Display/ Effects tab - deselect
any desktop icon and use 'change' to open the 'interior' of
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL with the little 'change icon' manager.

[CP = Start/ Settings/ Control Panel unless you are XP in which case it
is Start/ CP]

--
Mike Easter

Toolman Tim

news:OzIpd.4308$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
| John Smith wrote:
| > Can I replace the actual icon graphic in the tray with another icon?
|
| Yes.
|
| Icon management is best done with icon managers. In order to trade the
| existing icon for another one, you have to have an acceptable 'other
| one' and access to where/how to trade it. Having a good choice of
| alternate icons and being able to do it easily are both facilitated by
| icon managers. Search for that with your favorite googler.
|
| You can see your current 'stable' of icons in your Win 'icon place' - in
| Win98 eg it can be accessed with the CP/ Display/ Effects tab - deselect
| any desktop icon and use 'change' to open the 'interior' of
| C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL with the little 'change icon' manager.
|
| [CP = Start/ Settings/ Control Panel unless you are XP in which case it
| is Start/ CP]

And how is he going to apply an icon to a process running in his system
tray? Well, maybe he can find the program code that launches the process.
Like good luck tearing apart his printer's driver set, huh?

Lady Chatterly

In article <OzIpd.4308$(E-Mail Removed) et> Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John Smith wrote:
>> Can I replace the actual icon graphic in the tray with another icon?

>Yes.

The people who did that to an excellent driver for no reason says
quite alot about them.

>Icon management is best done with icon managers. In order to trade the
>existing icon for another one, you have to have an acceptable 'other
>one' and access to where/how to trade it. Having a good choice of
>alternate icons and being able to do it easily are both facilitated by
>icon managers. Search for that with your favorite googler.

Someone needs to hit you over the head with a clue bat. Oh wait. Never
mind. They already did.

>You can see your current 'stable' of icons in your Win 'icon place' - in
>Win98 eg it can be accessed with the CP/ Display/ Effects tab - deselect
>any desktop icon and use 'change' to open the 'interior' of
>C:WINDOWSSYSTEMSHELL32.DLL with the little 'change icon' manager.

A little too late, is much too late.

>[CP = Start/ Settings/ Control Panel unless you are XP in which case it
>is Start/ CP]

Perhaps they are only pretending to be xp in which case it is start
cp. And your point is?

--
Lady Chatterly

"Btw, "Lady Chatterly" is a bot/troll. I think it usually is picking
random phrases from articles and then "responding" to them with
things that sometimes make sense. Other times it appears to be at
least partly human-operated." -- henri

John Smith

news:OzIpd.4308$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> John Smith wrote:
>> Can I replace the actual icon graphic in the tray with another icon?

> Yes.
>
> Icon management is best done with icon managers. In order to trade the
> existing icon for another one, you have to have an acceptable 'other
> one' and access to where/how to trade it. Having a good choice of
> alternate icons and being able to do it easily are both facilitated by
> icon managers. Search for that with your favorite googler.
>
> You can see your current 'stable' of icons in your Win 'icon place' - in
> Win98 eg it can be accessed with the CP/ Display/ Effects tab - deselect
> any desktop icon and use 'change' to open the 'interior' of
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL with the little 'change icon' manager.
>
> [CP = Start/ Settings/ Control Panel unless you are XP in which case it
> is Start/ CP]
>
> --
> Mike Easter

-------------
OK, Thanks for the tips...seems complicated...may well leave well alone
------------------

Mike Easter

Toolman Tim wrote:
> "Mike Easter"
>> John Smith wrote:
>>> Can I replace the actual icon graphic in the tray with another icon?

>> Yes.

>> You can see your current 'stable' of icons in your Win 'icon place'
>> - in Win98 eg it can be accessed with the CP/ Display/ Effects tab -
>> deselect any desktop icon and use 'change' to open the 'interior' of
>> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL with the little 'change icon' manager.

> And how is he going to apply an icon to a process running in his
> system tray? Well, maybe he can find the program code that launches
> the process. Like good luck tearing apart his printer's driver set,
> huh?

I've never done it, but it looks like it can be done by hacking the
resource.

http://www2.ueda.ne.jp/~higuchi/htm/Icon-e.htm How to Change "Printer
Icon"
This chapter shows you how to change the "Printer and FAX" Icon in the
Control Panel.-- Open "Shell32.dll" in the
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache" Folder with "Resource Hacker".
"17" under the "Icon Group" Folder is the "Printer and FAX" Icon, and
"168" is the
"Usual Printer" Icon. <etc>

http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/ Resource HackerTM is a
freeware utility to view, modify, rename, add, delete and extract
resources in 32bit Windows executables and resource files (*.res). ...
Viewing Resources: Cursor, Icon, Bitmap, GIF, AVI, and JPG resource
images can be viewed. .... Saving Resources: Resources can be saved as
image files (*.ico, *.bmp etc), as script files (*.rc), as binary
resource files (*.res), or as untyped binary files (*.bin).....
Modifying Resources: Resources can be modified by replacing the resource
with a resource located in another file (*.ico, *.bmp, *.res etc) or
by.... <etc>

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:
> I've never done it, but it looks like it can be done by hacking the
> resource.

I /have/ extracted an icon from an executable or similar resource with
Microangelo and did something with it, put it somewhere, or maybe
changed it, but I don't remember what that story was.

Not because I knew what I was doing, but because someone somewhere -
like a newsgroup - 'told me' how to do it.

--
Mike Easter

Toolman Tim

news:4uOpd.4500$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
| Mike Easter wrote:
| > I've never done it, but it looks like it can be done by hacking the
| > resource.
|
| I /have/ extracted an icon from an executable or similar resource with
| Microangelo and did something with it, put it somewhere, or maybe
| changed it, but I don't remember what that story was.
|
| Not because I knew what I was doing, but because someone somewhere -
| like a newsgroup - 'told me' how to do it.

It sounds plausible, but I personally won't mess with a driver or such. And
the icon I think the OP was talking about is like the little custom printer
monitor that Epson and HP (possibly others) installs in the system tray,
rather than the one that shows up only while Windows is printing. Either
way, I would tend to feel it is a bit risky to mess around pulling code/data
(even as minute as an icon) out of a driver or executable file and replacing
it just to change the little picture.

Mike Easter

Toolman Tim wrote:
> It sounds plausible, but I personally won't mess with a driver or
> such. And the icon I think the OP was talking about is like the
> little custom printer monitor that Epson and HP (possibly others)
> installs in the system tray, rather than the one that shows up only
> while Windows is printing. Either way, I would tend to feel it is a
> bit risky to mess around pulling code/data (even as minute as an
> icon) out of a driver or executable file and replacing it just to
> change the little picture.

Maybe I/we aren't clear or talking about the same thing. I'm not sure
what a 'custom printer [icon]' for Epson or HP looks like. The little
icon I'm familiar with is pretty 'standard' looking and simply has the
/name/ of the printer beside the icon which can be seen in the CP
Printer section. It also makes other appearances under other
circumstances.

That is, I'm familiar with a 'standard' printer icon with a specific
printer name beside it, in 'icon font' configurable. It is unique to me
only by its name. I think if I had several printers, they would have
the same icon and different names. Then, when I want to go see some
more printer icons, I can do what I described earlier and 'open up' that
SHELL32.DLL file with my little win icon viewer/changer and see a number
of various types of printer icons in there, maybe half a dozen.

So, what you are saying I think is that the icon in the OP's taskbar is
or might be derived from the driver files? Hmm. I don't know about
that. I suppose that could be true. Maybe this is one of those deals
in which we/I should be finding out what the OP is talking about.
Altho' I've never felt motivated to want to change my printer icon,
there must be something going on there, because I have had the
experience of wanting to change an icon myself to the point of rooting
around in some innards to do it. One can always save an old file and
replace it if something breaks.

At least on my own system, I think my printer icons are windows derived,
not driver files derived. My printer driver files do have some of their
own internal icons for various functions and configurations, but those
seem to be peculiar to the internal configurational business, not the
tray or other 'windows' printer icons. My instinct is that the/my
printer icon is a windows icon.

--
Mike Easter