Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Plug & Play question

Plug & Play question

Frank Thompson

Win2000svce pck 4
Most but not all of the time (& that is what is confusing me) when I
plug or unplug my cam to my USB port I get the message that a new
device is detected and it must be insrtalled, which it does with no
problems. Is this the way Plug & Play works? I was under, what I
guess was the impression, that once a device was plugged in and
installed it woud always recognize it on subsequent occasions when it
was plugged in. I was hoping that I could use the same USB port for
several different devices & just unplug them when not in use. Some,
but not all the time it does seem to work that way. I wonder what I am
doing differently the times it does work that way.

Happy Thanksgiving to all,
Frank
My correct e-mail address is gno52 (not gn52)
Fake adddress given to avoid spams

Toolman Tim

"Frank Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Win2000svce pck 4
| Most but not all of the time (& that is what is confusing me) when I
| plug or unplug my cam to my USB port I get the message that a new
| device is detected and it must be insrtalled, which it does with no
| problems. Is this the way Plug & Play works? I was under, what I
| guess was the impression, that once a device was plugged in and
| installed it woud always recognize it on subsequent occasions when it
| was plugged in. I was hoping that I could use the same USB port for
| several different devices & just unplug them when not in use. Some,
| but not all the time it does seem to work that way. I wonder what I am
| doing differently the times it does work that way.
|
| Happy Thanksgiving to all,
| Frank
| My correct e-mail address is gno52 (not gn52)
| Fake adddress given to avoid spam

First, Frank please do one more thing to your fake email address. Add
".invalid" to the end, so it looks like this http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid. Even
if you change *your* side of the email address to avoid spam, your ISP
(alltel.net) is *still* gonna get all that crap and it is wasting their
computer time and resources trying to figure out what to do with it. The
".invalid" is the preferred way to prevent the spam from going anywhere at
all...

As for the the USB, I've run into similar problems with my scanner. My guess
is that the company that writes the drivers fails to "embed" the drivers
into Windows' INF folder. I haven't come up with a solution either. I
finally copied the drivers from the CD to a folder on the hard drive so I
don't have to go dig up the CD every time. (Plus I added more ports so I can
leave it plugged in unless I use it elsewhere.)

Larry Crites

When connecting a device to a USB port, isn't that device installed to that
one port, and then if you plug something else into that same port later,
isn't the first device removed from the system and has to be installed again
when it's plugged in again? Seems that it works that way on my machines.

Larry
Unlock the Universe

news:kVopd.10201$(E-Mail Removed)...

| As for the the USB, I've run into similar problems with my scanner. My
guess
| is that the company that writes the drivers fails to "embed" the drivers
| into Windows' INF folder. I haven't come up with a solution either. I
| finally copied the drivers from the CD to a folder on the hard drive so I
| don't have to go dig up the CD every time. (Plus I added more ports so I
can
| leave it plugged in unless I use it elsewhere.)

Toolman Tim

Probably. That's why I haven't seriously worked on my scanner issue. Now
that I have the extra ports it doesn't matter. Maybe the OP needs to get a
small powered hub, or add a PCI card with more USB ports.

But what really bugged me was having to get the CD each time. I think the
programmers should have considered this issue and placed the drivers into
the default Windows installation folder so they were there for the next time
it needed to be installed.

"Larry Crites" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| When connecting a device to a USB port, isn't that device installed to
that
| one port, and then if you plug something else into that same port later,
| isn't the first device removed from the system and has to be installed
again
| when it's plugged in again? Seems that it works that way on my machines.
|
| Larry
| Unlock the Universe
|
| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:kVopd.10201$(E-Mail Removed)...
|| As for the the USB, I've run into similar problems with my scanner. My
| guess
|| is that the company that writes the drivers fails to "embed" the drivers
|| into Windows' INF folder. I haven't come up with a solution either. I
|| finally copied the drivers from the CD to a folder on the hard drive so I
|| don't have to go dig up the CD every time. (Plus I added more ports so I
| can
|| leave it plugged in unless I use it elsewhere.)

Jim Berwick

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news3qpd.10705$(E-Mail Removed):

> But what really bugged me was having to get the CD each time. I think
> the programmers should have considered this issue and placed the
> drivers into the default Windows installation folder so they were
> there for the next time it needed to be installed.

They are normally. Unless the designers are morons. That's why I can plug
in my Camera/Mouse/Hard drive/various other things into my Win2k box,
doesn't matter what port or what was there before, and it just detects and
enables the devices. Note: Windows 2000 does not natively support my
camera like XP does.

Toolman Tim

"Jim Berwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
| news3qpd.10705$(E-Mail Removed):
|
| > But what really bugged me was having to get the CD each time. I think
| > the programmers should have considered this issue and placed the
| > drivers into the default Windows installation folder so they were
| > there for the next time it needed to be installed.
|
| They are normally. Unless the designers are morons. That's why I can
plug
| in my Camera/Mouse/Hard drive/various other things into my Win2k box,
| doesn't matter what port or what was there before, and it just detects and
| enables the devices. Note: Windows 2000 does not natively support my
| camera like XP does.

Exactly . That's the way I felt it was supposed to be myself. But I have
*other* issues with my Epson scanner too...like the copy utility doesn't
function now, and they don't have a clue why. I used the scanner as a little
photocopier for years. I think it quit with XP's SP2, but Epson doesn't even
admit there's a problem. So my opinion agrees with yours: their software
designers are morons.

Jim Berwick

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:HNupd.11387$(E-Mail Removed):

> photocopier for years. I think it quit with XP's SP2, but Epson
> doesn't even admit there's a problem. So my opinion agrees with yours:
> their software designers are morons.

Definitely. I've never seen a USB device that I had to reinstall the
drivers for whenever I unplugged it and replugged it. It isn't even a
matter of having to reinstall from where ever the driver
unzips/decompresses to, I never have to reinstall at all. I plug in, I
wait 5 or 10 seconds, and the mouse works or whatever, or I see the little
icon popup in the systray area and I'm ready to go.

Plato

Jim Berwick wrote:

> > photocopier for years. I think it quit with XP's SP2, but Epson
> > doesn't even admit there's a problem. So my opinion agrees with yours:
> > their software designers are morons.

> Definitely. I've never seen a USB device that I had to reinstall the
> drivers for whenever I unplugged it and replugged it. It isn't even a
> matter of having to reinstall from where ever the driver
> unzips/decompresses to, I never have to reinstall at all. I plug in, I
> wait 5 or 10 seconds, and the mouse works or whatever, or I see the little
> icon popup in the systray area and I'm ready to go.

On older PCs with older OS's eg Win9X it sometimes happens when you
unplug a device and then connect it to another USB port. Yes with mice
also. Many of the old docs also recommend that you install some devices
to EACH usb port, yes, including some mice.

Toolman Tim

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:41a7fb48$0$83337$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Jim Berwick wrote:
| >
| > > photocopier for years. I think it quit with XP's SP2, but Epson
| > > doesn't even admit there's a problem. So my opinion agrees with yours:
| > > their software designers are morons.
| >
| > Definitely. I've never seen a USB device that I had to reinstall the
| > drivers for whenever I unplugged it and replugged it. It isn't even a
| > matter of having to reinstall from where ever the driver
| > unzips/decompresses to, I never have to reinstall at all. I plug in, I
| > wait 5 or 10 seconds, and the mouse works or whatever, or I see the
little
| > icon popup in the systray area and I'm ready to go.
|
| On older PCs with older OS's eg Win9X it sometimes happens when you
| unplug a device and then connect it to another USB port. Yes with mice
| also. Many of the old docs also recommend that you install some devices
| to EACH usb port, yes, including some mice

True, but we've been discussing some equipment I have that is built for XP,
used on XP, and still loses track of it's drivers when the cable gets
unplugged. I expected better programming than that from Epson scanners.

Plato

Toolman Tim wrote:

> | On older PCs with older OS's eg Win9X it sometimes happens when you
> | unplug a device and then connect it to another USB port. Yes with mice
> | also. Many of the old docs also recommend that you install some devices
> | to EACH usb port, yes, including some mice
>
> True, but we've been discussing some equipment I have that is built for XP,
> used on XP, and still loses track of it's drivers when the cable gets
> unplugged. I expected better programming than that from Epson scanners.

As soon as one interface system matures and becomes relatively problem
free, take for example printer port scanners [what a blast they were to
get going at first], the next wave begins eg firewire/usb. It's such a
fast paced industry I suppose that's why so many folks enjoy the hobby
and/or career.

Regarding the thread, often it makes you wonder if the coders actually
get to test their work in the real world. As a comparison, I worked in
the auto repair biz for a bit a few years ago as that's also one of my
interests. Morons? Heck, who was the moron who designed the Ford
Windstar that you have to take out motor mounts to put in a water pump?
Who was the moron who designed certain cars where you have to remove the
fender to put in a battery?