Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IE Explorer

Reply
Thread Tools

IE Explorer

 
 
Laurie Martins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2004
Maybe someone can help. I am having trouble bringing up IE Explorer, I
click on the icon but it does nothing, it starts to work but then just
stops, even going into Microsoft XP newsgroups the page jams up.

Lozza


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
trout
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2004
Laurie Martins wrote:

> Maybe someone can help. I am having trouble bringing up IE Explorer,
> I click on the icon but it does nothing, it starts to work but then
> just stops, even going into Microsoft XP newsgroups the page jams up.
>
> Lozza


Not nearly enough information, to have even an opinion. You are
asking people to guess, based on vague clues.
Okay, so it can be assumed that XP is your OS.... ?
Now, do you see an error message, or just the 'freeze'? Do you do
regular maintenance (like dumping temp files), and do you have basic
protection from malware, like trojans and hi-jackers? Do you check for
things like this?
--
"The answer is usually as good as the question."


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Laurie Martins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2004
Sorry trout, I should know better, Yes XP is the OS & there is no error
message at all it just does not open up when I click on the icon, the
freezing up is when I go into XP help & support / Ask for assistance /
Windows XP Newsgroups.
I clean out temp files regulary & I have X Cleaner as basic protection.
I also have Mozilla Firefox installed but not as my default explorer.
Lozza

"trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Laurie Martins wrote:
>
> > Maybe someone can help. I am having trouble bringing up IE Explorer,
> > I click on the icon but it does nothing, it starts to work but then
> > just stops, even going into Microsoft XP newsgroups the page jams up.
> >
> > Lozza

>
> Not nearly enough information, to have even an opinion. You are
> asking people to guess, based on vague clues.
> Okay, so it can be assumed that XP is your OS.... ?
> Now, do you see an error message, or just the 'freeze'? Do you do
> regular maintenance (like dumping temp files), and do you have basic
> protection from malware, like trojans and hi-jackers? Do you check for
> things like this?
> --
> "The answer is usually as good as the question."
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
trout
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2004
Laurie Martins wrote:

> Sorry trout, I should know better, Yes XP is the OS & there is no
> error message at all it just does not open up when I click on the
> icon, the freezing up is when I go into XP help & support / Ask for
> assistance / Windows XP Newsgroups.
> I clean out temp files regulary & I have X Cleaner as basic
> protection. I also have Mozilla Firefox installed but not as my
> default explorer. Lozza


Okay, so this is what I have, here, for the moment. I'm not familiar
with "X Cleaner", so I had a quick look, and it *looks* (and I'm sorry
if I'm judging a product by an, admittedly, quick look), but it looks
rather like 'scare-ware'. I saw nothing else on any 'look-up' page but
'nudges' to buy something else.
For the purposes of this post, I'd suggest a quick search of this
newsgroup for suggestions on 'basic' protection; like Spybot S&D,
AdAware, SpywareBlaster.... all good free, programs, that should be used
in conjunction with a good anti-virus.
I'm not saying that I think you have an infection; but it's a good
place to start trouble-shooting a problem of this kind. You could also
check-out posts in this group from Mike and Unk for good, free programs
to check for hi-jackers, and to do an on-line scan to make sure your
system is free of critters; before considering other possible reasons
for your problem.
If you *don't* find a resolution to your problem; I suggest you
re-state it, with as many details as possible (including what you've
done, so far), in a *new* thread (post), to get as many suggestions as
possible.

>
> "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Laurie Martins wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe someone can help. I am having trouble bringing up IE
>>> Explorer, I click on the icon but it does nothing, it starts to
>>> work but then just stops, even going into Microsoft XP newsgroups
>>> the page jams up.
>>>
>>> Lozza

>>
>> Not nearly enough information, to have even an opinion. You are
>> asking people to guess, based on vague clues.
>> Okay, so it can be assumed that XP is your OS.... ?
>> Now, do you see an error message, or just the 'freeze'? Do you do
>> regular maintenance (like dumping temp files), and do you have basic
>> protection from malware, like trojans and hi-jackers? Do you check
>> for things like this?
>> --
>> "The answer is usually as good as the question."



 
Reply With Quote
 
matt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2004

"trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Laurie Martins wrote:
>
> > Sorry trout, I should know better, Yes XP is the OS & there is no
> > error message at all it just does not open up when I click on the
> > icon, the freezing up is when I go into XP help & support / Ask for
> > assistance / Windows XP Newsgroups.
> > I clean out temp files regulary & I have X Cleaner as basic
> > protection. I also have Mozilla Firefox installed but not as my
> > default explorer. Lozza

>
> Okay, so this is what I have, here, for the moment. I'm not familiar
> with "X Cleaner", so I had a quick look, and it *looks* (and I'm sorry
> if I'm judging a product by an, admittedly, quick look), but it looks
> rather like 'scare-ware'. I saw nothing else on any 'look-up' page but
> 'nudges' to buy something else.
> For the purposes of this post, I'd suggest a quick search of this
> newsgroup for suggestions on 'basic' protection; like Spybot S&D,
> AdAware, SpywareBlaster.... all good free, programs, that should be used
> in conjunction with a good anti-virus.
> I'm not saying that I think you have an infection; but it's a good
> place to start trouble-shooting a problem of this kind. You could also
> check-out posts in this group from Mike and Unk for good, free programs
> to check for hi-jackers, and to do an on-line scan to make sure your
> system is free of critters; before considering other possible reasons
> for your problem.
> If you *don't* find a resolution to your problem; I suggest you
> re-state it, with as many details as possible (including what you've
> done, so far), in a *new* thread (post), to get as many suggestions as
> possible.
>
> >
> > "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Laurie Martins wrote:
> >>
> >>> Maybe someone can help. I am having trouble bringing up IE
> >>> Explorer, I click on the icon but it does nothing, it starts to
> >>> work but then just stops, even going into Microsoft XP newsgroups
> >>> the page jams up.
> >>>
> >>> Lozza
> >>
> >> Not nearly enough information, to have even an opinion. You are
> >> asking people to guess, based on vague clues.
> >> Okay, so it can be assumed that XP is your OS.... ?
> >> Now, do you see an error message, or just the 'freeze'? Do you do
> >> regular maintenance (like dumping temp files), and do you have basic
> >> protection from malware, like trojans and hi-jackers? Do you check
> >> for things like this?



This was happening to me yesterday and I downloaded and ran AdAware and
SpyBot. I discovered that I had made the grave error of connecting to
SmileyCentral to download some of their great Smileys. I remembered being
warned about this place before years ago. I had to do a complete cleanout of
a pile of crap that I got by making that mistake! Things are running
perfectly since
> >> --
> >> "The answer is usually as good as the question."

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
matt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2004
By the way, does anybody know where to get some of the "New" smileys without
being subjected to all sorts of hijacking and tracking?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Toolman Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2004
Nobody I know wants people sending smileys crap to them in their email
anyway. Waste of bandwidth, waste of time, etc.

"matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:co4vm5$35l$(E-Mail Removed)...
| By the way, does anybody know where to get some of the "New" smileys
without
| being subjected to all sorts of hijacking and tracking?
|
|


 
Reply With Quote
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2004
matt wrote:
> By the way, does anybody know where to get some of the "New" smileys without
> being subjected to all sorts of hijacking and tracking?


The following is purely a subjective point of view and in no way
reflects the opinion of the owners or managers of this newsgroup:

"Why, oh why, would anyone want smileys?"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2004
Rgr wrote:
> matt wrote:
>> By the way, does anybody know where to get some of the "New" smileys without
>> being subjected to all sorts of hijacking and tracking?


> The following is purely a subjective point of view and in no way
> reflects the opinion of the owners or managers of this newsgroup:


> "Why, oh why, would anyone want smileys?"


I just checked with Mangagent. Actually, that *does* reflect its
stance.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Play Zork: http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/zork1.html
SOME commands: get, open, drop, directions e/n/s/w, climb, up,
down, look, read, inventory, hit/kill [object] with [object]...
 
Reply With Quote
 
matt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2004
"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wXopd.10219$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nobody I know wants people sending smileys crap to them in their email
> anyway. Waste of bandwidth, waste of time, etc.


I don't want them to send in mail. I am a photographer and exchange photos
on a forum with acquaintances from all over the net. Smiley Gifs can say a
lot and they can be fun to create or display facial expressions when
rsponding to certain shots!



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet Explorer 8: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe vs C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe Nathan Sokalski Windows 64bit 16 02-22-2010 08:31 AM
HIDE: Database Explorer / Solution Explorer / Properties NewTel ASP .Net 2 02-23-2006 09:13 PM
Internet Explorer + Windows Explorer + Browsing Sad Computer Support 1 09-08-2004 05:53 PM
Windows Explorer - Internet explorer JamesBenson Computer Support 19 07-31-2004 12:54 AM
can surf in Windows Explorer not Internet Explorer Billh Computer Support 0 05-02-2004 08:47 PM



Advertisments