Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 5 and 1/4 Floppy??????

5 and 1/4 Floppy??????

Help Wanted

NO WAY!!!! i donot have a 5 and 1/4 floppy (Drive A).
I have a normal floppy; 3 and 1/2 (Drive A).
How do i put my floppy back the way it was to the
normal 3 and 1/2. It is crashing my computer if
i click on it etc.

Toolman Tim

"Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-news.com...

| NO WAY!!!! i donot have a 5 and 1/4 floppy (Drive A).
| I have a normal floppy; 3 and 1/2 (Drive A).
| How do i put my floppy back the way it was to the
| normal 3 and 1/2. It is crashing my computer if
| i click on it etc.

Start by checking your BIOS settings. When the computer is first booting
doing the POST (memory test, drive check, etc.) there should be a message on
your display telling you how to enter setup. Usually it says something like
"Press DEL to enter setup" or "Press F2 to enter setup" etc. You may have to
look around to find the floppy drive type, but don't change anything you
don't understand.

Timberwolf

"Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-news.com...

> NO WAY!!!! i donot have a 5 and 1/4 floppy (Drive A).
> I have a normal floppy; 3 and 1/2 (Drive A).
> How do i put my floppy back the way it was to the
> normal 3 and 1/2. It is crashing my computer if
> i click on it etc.

> <><><><><><><><>

Reboot--if you have post displayed during boot(bunch of stuff on the screen
that makes no sense to you) at the bottom of the screen it will tel you to
hit F1 or Del or Esc to enter setup.
Even on "covered" if you pardon the phrase start up you should see a
similar instruction.
look at devices and set your floppy to 3 1/2 save and reboot
On second thoughts get someone to come and resolve it for you as you can do
and probably will mess your system playing with the bios.

Toolman Tim

"Timberwolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eL8pd.200$(E-Mail Removed)...

| "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)-news.com...
| >
| > NO WAY!!!! i donot have a 5 and 1/4 floppy (Drive A).
| > I have a normal floppy; 3 and 1/2 (Drive A).
| > How do i put my floppy back the way it was to the
| > normal 3 and 1/2. It is crashing my computer if
| > i click on it etc.

| > http://www.uncensored-news.com
| > <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source
| > <><><><><><><><>
| >

| Reboot--if you have post displayed during boot(bunch of stuff on the
screen
| that makes no sense to you) at the bottom of the screen it will tel you to
| hit F1 or Del or Esc to enter setup.
| Even on "covered" if you pardon the phrase start up you should see a
| similar instruction.
| look at devices and set your floppy to 3 1/2 save and reboot
| On second thoughts get someone to come and resolve it for you as you can
do
| and probably will mess your system playing with the bios.

Lots of times if the computer has those d*** OEM startup screens covering
the POST, the Esc or Tab keys will clear that so you can see what's going on
behind it. Although yesterday I was working on a Sony Vaio that I couldn't
seem to get behind that stupid screen.

Help Wanted

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Timberwolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:eL8pd.200$(E-Mail Removed)...
>|
>| "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
>| news:(E-Mail Removed)-news.com...
>| >
>| > NO WAY!!!! i donot have a 5 and 1/4 floppy (Drive A).
>| > I have a normal floppy; 3 and 1/2 (Drive A).
>| > How do i put my floppy back the way it was to the
>| > normal 3 and 1/2. It is crashing my computer if
>| > i click on it etc.

>| > http://www.uncensored-news.com
>| > <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source
>| > <><><><><><><><>
>| >

>| Reboot--if you have post displayed during boot(bunch of stuff on the
>screen
>| that makes no sense to you) at the bottom of the screen it will tel you

>| hit F1 or Del or Esc to enter setup.
>| Even on "covered" if you pardon the phrase start up you should see a
>| similar instruction.
>| look at devices and set your floppy to 3 1/2 save and reboot
>| On second thoughts get someone to come and resolve it for you as you can

>do
>| and probably will mess your system playing with the bios.
>|
>Lots of times if the computer has those d*** OEM startup screens covering

>the POST, the Esc or Tab keys will clear that so you can see what's going

on
>behind it. Although yesterday I was working on a Sony Vaio that I couldn't

>seem to get behind that stupid screen.

Thank you.
More questions:
How can something like this happen?
Can the computer do something like this by itself:
change the floppy from a 3 and 1/2 to a 5 and 1/4?
A very important question to me: is there such a
thing as a 5 and 1/4 floppy?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On 25 Nov 2004 16:20:21 GMT, "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote:

|> Can the computer do something like this by itself:
|> change the floppy from a 3 and 1/2 to a 5 and 1/4?

Yes if your bios resets or battery dies it's possible.

|> A very important question to me: is there such a
|> thing as a 5 and 1/4 floppy?

Yep, used to store 320Kb enhanced would store more, and floppies look'd like
this http://tinyurl.com/6nhrd notice the notch on the side? it's write
protected.

Your CD is exact ally the same size as the floppy drive as it sit's in it's old
slot.

Toolman Tim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On 25 Nov 2004 16:20:21 GMT, "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote:
|
||> Can the computer do something like this by itself:
||> change the floppy from a 3 and 1/2 to a 5 and 1/4?
|
| Yes if your bios resets or battery dies it's possible.
|
||> A very important question to me: is there such a
||> thing as a 5 and 1/4 floppy?
|
| Yep, used to store 320Kb enhanced would store more, and floppies look'd
like
| this http://tinyurl.com/6nhrd notice the notch on the side? it's write
| protected.
|
| Your CD is exact ally the same size as the floppy drive as it sit's in
it's old
| slot.

Heh heh....we *just* retired the 8" floppy drive unit on the AS/400 at the
office...seems IBM's latest OS doesn't even know what a floppy disk is
anymore.

Paminifarm

news:<pO8pd.2001$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)-news.com...
> |
> | NO WAY!!!! i donot have a 5 and 1/4 floppy (Drive A).
> | I have a normal floppy; 3 and 1/2 (Drive A).
> | How do i put my floppy back the way it was to the
> | normal 3 and 1/2. It is crashing my computer if
> | i click on it etc.
> |

> Start by checking your BIOS settings. When the computer is first booting
> doing the POST (memory test, drive check, etc.) there should be a message on
> your display telling you how to enter setup. Usually it says something like
> "Press DEL to enter setup" or "Press F2 to enter setup" etc. You may have to
> look around to find the floppy drive type, but don't change anything you
> don't understand.

I did it. This is what happened:
There was something there with all the drives and their names
(the floppy A and B were 2 or 3 lines down from the others,
and i know nothing of a "B" floppy drive. Since it is
saying "B", does this mean there is another floppy
drive there somewhere in the computer?); the floppy
had a "none" so i changed it to 3 1/2 and saved;
computer didnot like that, wouldnot let out, so
i went back and changed it back to "none" and
saved; Computer liked that and let me out.
While i was in there i saw other settings
for floppy, one of which said something
about "swap" drives. Since there is
more than one setting for the A
drive, should i have "fixed"
all settings that i saw
there, such as the
"swap" drives?

I feel floppy is a mini miracle and leaving it off
new computers is strange. A floppy you can pop into
your pocket and easily walk out with it, not so with
the big CD's - i wonder if leaving floppy off has
something to do with Homeland Security (:
I personally would be lost without the
floppy, because i flop back and forth
from my Internet computer to my other
computers that arenot hooked up to
the Internet. I hook up only one
computer to the Internet because
of security; get what i need off
the Internet; put it on a floppy
and flop to the secure computers
to work with it . . . "Floppy"
has a whole different meaning
for me: it is quick, easy,
and the ultimate security-
i mean if youare İreallyİ
serious about security.

Toolman Tim

"Paminifarm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message
| news:<pO8pd.2001$(E-Mail Removed)>...
| > "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)-news.com...
| > |
| > | NO WAY!!!! i donot have a 5 and 1/4 floppy (Drive A).
| > | I have a normal floppy; 3 and 1/2 (Drive A).
| > | How do i put my floppy back the way it was to the
| > | normal 3 and 1/2. It is crashing my computer if
| > | i click on it etc.
| > |

| > Start by checking your BIOS settings. When the computer is first booting
| > doing the POST (memory test, drive check, etc.) there should be a
message on
| > your display telling you how to enter setup. Usually it says something
like
| > "Press DEL to enter setup" or "Press F2 to enter setup" etc. You may
have to
| > look around to find the floppy drive type, but don't change anything you
| > don't understand.
| >

| I did it. This is what happened:
| There was something there with all the drives and their names
| (the floppy A and B were 2 or 3 lines down from the others,
| and i know nothing of a "B" floppy drive. Since it is
| saying "B", does this mean there is another floppy
| drive there somewhere in the computer?); the floppy
| had a "none" so i changed it to 3 1/2 and saved;
| computer didnot like that, wouldnot let out, so
| i went back and changed it back to "none" and
| saved; Computer liked that and let me out.
| While i was in there i saw other settings
| for floppy, one of which said something
| about "swap" drives. Since there is
| more than one setting for the A
| drive, should i have "fixed"
| all settings that i saw
| there, such as the
| "swap" drives?

<rant snipped>

The original IBM PCs came with 5-1/4" floppy drives only (actually, earliest
were cassette tape <g>). So most BIOS manufacturers still include the 5-1/2"
option. The hardware supported two drives - A: and B: - and when hard drives
(A whopping 5 or 10 megabytes!) came out they were added as C: drives. So
your BIOS (and Windows) still leaves B: as an option for the second floppy
drive. If you don't have one, leave it set as "none".

For people who have TWO floppy drives installed, A: and B:, the SWAP
function allows the user to rename which drive is which without swapping the
cables inside. That's normally an issue only if you have to boot from the
other drive. If you have only ONE drive, the swap must be off. Your A: drive
must be set to 3-1/2" since that's the size drive you have.

Help Wanted

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Paminifarm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
>| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>message
>| news:<pO8pd.2001$(E-Mail Removed)>...
>| > "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
>| > news:(E-Mail Removed)-news.com...
>| > |
>| > |

>| > Start by checking your BIOS settings. When the computer is first booting
>| > doing the POST (memory test, drive check, etc.) there should be a
>message on
>| > your display telling you how to enter setup. Usually it says something

>like
>| > "Press DEL to enter setup" or "Press F2 to enter setup" etc. You may

>have to
>| > look around to find the floppy drive type, but don't change anything

you
>| > don't understand.
>| >

>| I did it. This is what happened:
>| There was something there with all the drives and their names
>| (the floppy A and B were 2 or 3 lines down from the others,
>| and i know nothing of a "B" floppy drive. Since it is
>| saying "B", does this mean there is another floppy
>| drive there somewhere in the computer?); the floppy
>| had a "none" so i changed it to 3 1/2 and saved;
>| computer didnot like that, wouldnot let out, so
>| i went back and changed it back to "none" and
>| saved; Computer liked that and let me out.
>| While i was in there i saw other settings
>| for floppy, one of which said something
>| about "swap" drives. Since there is
>| more than one setting for the A
>| drive, should i have "fixed"
>| all settings that i saw
>| there, such as the
>| "swap" drives?
>
><rant snipped>
>
>The original IBM PCs came with 5-1/4" floppy drives only (actually, earliest

>were cassette tape <g>). So most BIOS manufacturers still include the 5-1/2"

>option. The hardware supported two drives - A: and B: - and when hard drives

>(A whopping 5 or 10 megabytes!) came out they were added as C: drives. So

>your BIOS (and Windows) still leaves B: as an option for the second floppy

>drive. If you don't have one, leave it set as "none".
>
>For people who have TWO floppy drives installed, A: and B:, the SWAP
>function allows the user to rename which drive is which without swapping

the
>cables inside. That's normally an issue only if you have to boot from the

>other drive. If you have only ONE drive, the swap must be off. Your A: drive

>must be set to 3-1/2" since that's the size drive you have.

I did set the A: drive to 3-1/2, however it went to
saying: "Floppy disk(s)fail (40)", and that is where
it is sitting right now. The DEL is showing, so i may
beable to go right into "Set Up" now if i wanted.
Should i? If so, what should i do after i get there?