Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Compaq memory query

Compaq memory query

Trent SC

I should apologise now - this is one of those "how long's a piece of string"
questions, but I'll stumble on anyway...

A colleague has a 2-year-old Compaq desktop with a Celeron 1.8 processor,
128 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD and XP Home preinstalled. We have no idea what type
of memory is installed, it can't for the moment access the internet to run
Belarc or similar and we're trying to make an educated guess as to the type
of memory that's likely to be installed so we can buy another 128 Mb stick.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of memory is most likely to
be installed, or am I going to have to go over there?

Sorry to be an arse, but I'm trying to save myself 2 journeys.

Ta muchly.

Unk

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:29:39 -0000, "Trent SC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I should apologise now - this is one of those "how long's a piece of string"
>questions, but I'll stumble on anyway...
>
>A colleague has a 2-year-old Compaq desktop with a Celeron 1.8 processor,
>128 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD and XP Home preinstalled. We have no idea what type
>of memory is installed, it can't for the moment access the internet to run
>Belarc or similar and we're trying to make an educated guess as to the type
>of memory that's likely to be installed so we can buy another 128 Mb stick.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of memory is most likely to
>be installed, or am I going to have to go over there?
>
>Sorry to be an arse, but I'm trying to save myself 2 journeys.
>
>Ta muchly.

http://tinyurl.com/4yc8t

Toolman Tim

"Trent SC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I should apologise now - this is one of those "how long's a piece of
>string"
> questions, but I'll stumble on anyway...
>
> A colleague has a 2-year-old Compaq desktop with a Celeron 1.8 processor,
> 128 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD and XP Home preinstalled. We have no idea what type
> of memory is installed, it can't for the moment access the internet to run
> Belarc or similar and we're trying to make an educated guess as to the
> type
> of memory that's likely to be installed so we can buy another 128 Mb
> stick.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of memory is most likely
> be installed, or am I going to have to go over there?
>
> Sorry to be an arse, but I'm trying to save myself 2 journeys.
>
> Ta muchly.

I would usually go to www.crucial.com or www.kingston.com and let them tell
you what kind of memory is compatible with the system. You don't have to buy
it from them, but at least they'll tell you what runs in that computer.

Trent SC

> >I should apologise now - this is one of those "how long's a piece of
> >string"
> > questions, but I'll stumble on anyway...
> >
> > A colleague has a 2-year-old Compaq desktop with a Celeron 1.8

processor,
> > 128 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD and XP Home preinstalled. We have no idea what

type
> > of memory is installed, it can't for the moment access the internet to

run
> > Belarc or similar and we're trying to make an educated guess as to the
> > type
> > of memory that's likely to be installed so we can buy another 128 Mb
> > stick.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of memory is most

likely
> > be installed, or am I going to have to go over there?
> >
> > Sorry to be an arse, but I'm trying to save myself 2 journeys.
> >
> > Ta muchly.
> >

> I would usually go to www.crucial.com or www.kingston.com and let them

tell
> you what kind of memory is compatible with the system. You don't have to

buy
> it from them, but at least they'll tell you what runs in that computer.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree - Crucial would normally be a good
starting point, but at this time I don't have any information on the model
number of the desktop or the type of RAM installed - only the info above.
Hence the query.

Toolman Tim

"Trent SC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
|> >I should apologise now - this is one of those "how long's a piece of
| > >string"
| > > questions, but I'll stumble on anyway...
| > >
| > > A colleague has a 2-year-old Compaq desktop with a Celeron 1.8
| processor,
| > > 128 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD and XP Home preinstalled. We have no idea what
| type
| > > of memory is installed, it can't for the moment access the internet to
| run
| > > Belarc or similar and we're trying to make an educated guess as to the
| > > type
| > > of memory that's likely to be installed so we can buy another 128 Mb
| > > stick.
| > >
| > > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of memory is most
| likely
| > > be installed, or am I going to have to go over there?
| > >
| > > Sorry to be an arse, but I'm trying to save myself 2 journeys.
| > >
| > > Ta muchly.
| > >
| > I would usually go to www.crucial.com or www.kingston.com and let them
| tell
| > you what kind of memory is compatible with the system. You don't have to
| buy
| > it from them, but at least they'll tell you what runs in that computer.
|
| Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree - Crucial would normally be a good
| starting point, but at this time I don't have any information on the model
| number of the desktop or the type of RAM installed - only the info above.
| Hence the query.

Well, if I had to guess, I'd say it uses PC2100, non-ECC, unbuffered. But be
sure that whoever you buy it from has a liberal return policy <g>

Chris Hunt

If your able to comunicate with him tell him to read what it says on it with
my ancient computer it has a label when you flip up the monitor ,underneath
it says PresarrioXXXX.
look for that. Also even my old computer had a sticker on the ram that said
what it had was.

hope this helps

news:E%8pd.2136$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Trent SC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> | processor,

what
> | type

> | run

the

> | likely

> | > I would usually go to www.crucial.com or www.kingston.com and let them
> | tell
> | > you what kind of memory is compatible with the system. You don't have

> | buy
> | > it from them, but at least they'll tell you what runs in that

computer.

> | Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree - Crucial would normally be a

good
> | starting point, but at this time I don't have any information on the

model
> | number of the desktop or the type of RAM installed - only the info

above.
> | Hence the query.
> |
> Well, if I had to guess, I'd say it uses PC2100, non-ECC, unbuffered. But

be
> sure that whoever you buy it from has a liberal return policy <g>

Trent SC

Thanks, but I won't have access to friend or desktop until I go there at the
weekend, which is when I'm rather hoping to fit the RAM.

> If your able to comunicate with him tell him to read what it says on it

with
> my ancient computer it has a label when you flip up the monitor

,underneath
> it says PresarrioXXXX.
> look for that. Also even my old computer had a sticker on the ram that

said
> what it had was.
>
> hope this helps

> > | processor,

> what
> > | type

internet
> > | run

> the

Mb

> > | likely

them
> > | tell

have
> > | buy

> computer.
> > |
> > | Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree - Crucial would normally be a

> good
> > | starting point, but at this time I don't have any information on the

> model
> > | number of the desktop or the type of RAM installed - only the info

> above.
> > | Hence the query.
> > |
> > Well, if I had to guess, I'd say it uses PC2100, non-ECC, unbuffered.

But
> be
> > sure that whoever you buy it from has a liberal return policy <g>

Blinky the Shark

Chris Hunt wrote:

> If your able to comunicate with him tell him to read what it says on it with
> my ancient computer it has a label when you flip up the monitor ,underneath
> it says PresarrioXXXX.

See "Compaq desktop" in original post.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Play Zork: http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/zork1.html

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
<<Snippes>>
| --
| Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
| Play Zork: http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/zork1.html
| SOME commands: get, open, drop, directions e/n/s/w, climb, up,
| down, look, read, inventory, hit/kill [object] with [object]...

Geez, Blinky - I haven't heard terms like that list of Zork commands in so
long I almost tripped headlong into a pile of nostalgia <g>

Blinky the Shark

Toolman Tim wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
><<Snippes>> | -- | Blinky Linux Registered
>User 297263 | Play Zork:
>http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/zork1.html | SOME commands: get,
>open, drop, directions e/n/s/w, climb, up, | down, look, read,
>inventory, hit/kill [object] with [object]...

> Geez, Blinky - I haven't heard terms like that list of Zork commands
> in so long I almost tripped headlong into a pile of nostalgia <g>

Hit that URL, and lose yourself (metaphorically <g>) for a few minutes.
Does the soul good. (Applet is only a 30-second download even on my
dialup.)

When I was looking for a Zork game, I hit one that, when you found a
leaflet very early in the game, you couldn't manipulate it: wouldn't
open, wouldn't even respond to a look. I thought *I'd* lost touch until
I moved on to one that wasn't brain-dead, and I could look at it. <g>)