Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > can i delete .dll files?

can i delete .dll files?

anOLDun

Lo All

Having run anti virus i now have some files that are not virus' but are
"threats"

Two of them are in my d harddrive .i.e.

D\windows\nem214.dll .......(this came in with Adware NetOptimizer - what
ever that is)

D\windows\wsem216.dll ......... (so did this)

If i find these 2 files can i just hit the delete key or do i have to do
something else to get rid of them??????

cheers

Ionizer

"anOLDun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:co12ft$ngm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lo All
>
> Having run anti virus i now have some files that are not virus' but are
> "threats"
>
> Two of them are in my d harddrive .i.e.
>
> D\windows\nem214.dll .......(this came in with Adware NetOptimizer -

what
> ever that is)
>
> D\windows\wsem216.dll ......... (so did this)
>
> If i find these 2 files can i just hit the delete key or do i have to do
> something else to get rid of them??????
>
> cheers

It looks like there's more to manually removing NetOptimizer than just
deleting one dll file:
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/p...x?id=453076206 Did you
already use AdAware or Spybot S&D to remove the rest of it?

--
Ian.

Richard

anOLDun wrote:

> Lo All

> Having run anti virus i now have some files that are not virus' but are
> "threats"

> Two of them are in my d harddrive .i.e.

> D\windows\nem214.dll .......(this came in with Adware NetOptimizer - what
> ever that is)

> D\windows\wsem216.dll ......... (so did this)

> If i find these 2 files can i just hit the delete key or do i have to do
> something else to get rid of them??????

> cheers

Yes you can delete those files.
But beware that you may wind up getting dozens of error messages each time
the originating program is operating.
a "Data Link Library" file is necessary for some programs as these files
contain constantly used "data" rather than keeping all that stuff in the
main program.

Sky King

anOLDun wrote:

> Having run anti virus i now have some files that are not virus' but are
> "threats"
>
> Two of them are in my d harddrive .i.e.
>
> D\windows\nem214.dll .......(this came in with Adware NetOptimizer - what
> ever that is)
>
> D\windows\wsem216.dll ......... (so did this)
>
> If i find these 2 files can i just hit the delete key or do i have to do
> something else to get rid of them??????

As others have mentioned, just removing those two files won't rid your
system of the junk that put them there in the first place. First place to
check would be the Add&Remove Programs list; if you see the NetOptimizer
item there then Remove it. To just delete the files use these steps:

1. On the Start/Run line enter this: "regsvr32 /u /i nem214.dll" and then
"regsvr32 /u /i wsem216.dll"
2. If the files are not removed in the above process, you can then delete
them manually.

--

....Sky

anOLDun

LO all

Have removed NORTON from my system and using AVG - have run it twice and all
looking good.

Cheers