Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Frustration

Frustration

eugene

I have a real dilemma. I had to get my PC reformatted last week. Okay, so it
now should be like it came out of the factory. The very second I went
on-line, I was swamped with viruses........67 of them! I took the machine
back to my supplier who cleaned out the registry without reformatting again
and he installed a pro version of AVG. I then re-connected everything last
night and I immediately began to get hit again! At one stage, my browser was
hijacked and porn sites were added to My Favourites. My screen went all off
colour and AVg was picking up viruses that it could not delete or
quarantine! One in particular whick kept popping up was Trojan horse small
13 exe. and when this warning appeared, I could not even get rid of the
warning screen. When I tried to close it, it asked, "Do you really want to
open the infected file". So, my PC is back with my supplier again and he is
stumped. He insists that I must be doing something that I shouldn't be doing
but I am not! I have told him that I am using my old system (right now eg)
and that the settings are all identical to those on the newer PC! Can
anybody please advise me? This is driving me nuts! I bought the new machine
a few months ago partly because of how badly infected this machine was at
that time. The only difference is that this PC is ME and the new one is XP.
Please somebody help me out here? I have been posting stuff around this
current problems for over a week now and either no one can suggest anything
or no one wants to help.......please.....anybody

Joe Nomad

Just an idea. I wonder if its coming from your ISP.

"eugene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:co0ds9$ftp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a real dilemma. I had to get my PC reformatted last week. Okay, so

it
> now should be like it came out of the factory. The very second I went
> on-line, I was swamped with viruses........67 of them! I took the machine
> back to my supplier who cleaned out the registry without reformatting

again
> and he installed a pro version of AVG. I then re-connected everything last
> night and I immediately began to get hit again! At one stage, my browser

was
> hijacked and porn sites were added to My Favourites. My screen went all

off
> colour and AVg was picking up viruses that it could not delete or
> quarantine! One in particular whick kept popping up was Trojan horse small
> 13 exe. and when this warning appeared, I could not even get rid of the
> warning screen. When I tried to close it, it asked, "Do you really want to
> open the infected file". So, my PC is back with my supplier again and he

is
> stumped. He insists that I must be doing something that I shouldn't be

doing
> but I am not! I have told him that I am using my old system (right now eg)
> and that the settings are all identical to those on the newer PC! Can
> anybody please advise me? This is driving me nuts! I bought the new

machine
> a few months ago partly because of how badly infected this machine was at
> that time. The only difference is that this PC is ME and the new one is

XP.
> Please somebody help me out here? I have been posting stuff around this
> current problems for over a week now and either no one can suggest

anything
> or no one wants to help.......please.....anybody

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

eugene wrote:

> I have a real dilemma. I had to get my PC reformatted last week. Okay, so it
> now should be like it came out of the factory. The very second I went
> on-line, I was swamped with viruses........67 of them! I took the machine
> back to my supplier who cleaned out the registry without reformatting again
> and he installed a pro version of AVG. I then re-connected everything last
> night and I immediately began to get hit again! At one stage, my browser was
> hijacked and porn sites were added to My Favourites. My screen went all off
> colour and AVg was picking up viruses that it could not delete or
> quarantine! One in particular whick kept popping up was Trojan horse small
> 13 exe. and when this warning appeared, I could not even get rid of the
> warning screen. When I tried to close it, it asked, "Do you really want to
> open the infected file". So, my PC is back with my supplier again and he is
> stumped. He insists that I must be doing something that I shouldn't be doing
> but I am not! I have told him that I am using my old system (right now eg)
> and that the settings are all identical to those on the newer PC! Can
> anybody please advise me? This is driving me nuts! I bought the new machine
> a few months ago partly because of how badly infected this machine was at
> that time. The only difference is that this PC is ME and the new one is XP.
> Please somebody help me out here? I have been posting stuff around this
> current problems for over a week now and either no one can suggest anything
> or no one wants to help.......please.....anybody

With unpatched XP on a fast connection, that is, with a static IP
address and no firewall, that is about what I would expect (actually,
worse than expected). I'd probably fresh install Windows again, patch it
up to date offline or make sure there's a damn good firewall and
antivirus installed before putting it online and then patch it. But get
the security in place before exposing it to the internet. And also make
sure the copy of Windows that is being installed isn't some "hacked"
version.

SuperStud

"eugene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:co0ds9$ftp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a real dilemma. I had to get my PC reformatted last week. Okay, so
>it
> now should be like it came out of the factory. The very second I went
> on-line, I was swamped with viruses........67 of them! I took the machine
> back to my supplier who cleaned out the registry without reformatting
> again
> and he installed a pro version of AVG. I then re-connected everything last
> night and I immediately began to get hit again! At one stage, my browser
> was
> hijacked and porn sites were added to My Favourites. My screen went all
> off
> colour and AVg was picking up viruses that it could not delete or
> quarantine! One in particular whick kept popping up was Trojan horse small
> 13 exe. and when this warning appeared, I could not even get rid of the
> warning screen. When I tried to close it, it asked, "Do you really want to
> open the infected file". So, my PC is back with my supplier again and he
> is
> stumped. He insists that I must be doing something that I shouldn't be
> doing
> but I am not! I have told him that I am using my old system (right now eg)
> and that the settings are all identical to those on the newer PC! Can
> anybody please advise me? This is driving me nuts! I bought the new
> machine
> a few months ago partly because of how badly infected this machine was at
> that time. The only difference is that this PC is ME and the new one is
> XP.
> Please somebody help me out here? I have been posting stuff around this
> current problems for over a week now and either no one can suggest
> anything
> or no one wants to help.......please.....anybody

You need an updated and active FIREWALL installed BEFORE you go online. If
you can get hold of a Service Pack 2 disk (magazines have been giving them
away recently) or use your old system to download it (hope you have
broadband - for that option). Service Pack 2 has a much improved firewall
that is active and protecting your machine by default.

Anti-virus programs do not perform the same protection from being hi-jacked,
as FIREWALLS do. I'm suprised your supplier doesn't seem to know the
difference either. AVG is a good anti-virus program - I use it, but without
an effective firewall of some description - you are not protected from all
the **** that's out there on the net.

<<SS>>

pcbutts1

Your tech is right. Maybe this quote from you will give you clue "I bought
the new machine
a few months ago partly because of how badly infected this machine was at
that time." It is called User Error.

"eugene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:co0ds9$ftp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a real dilemma. I had to get my PC reformatted last week. Okay, so
>it
> now should be like it came out of the factory. The very second I went
> on-line, I was swamped with viruses........67 of them! I took the machine
> back to my supplier who cleaned out the registry without reformatting
> again
> and he installed a pro version of AVG. I then re-connected everything last
> night and I immediately began to get hit again! At one stage, my browser
> was
> hijacked and porn sites were added to My Favourites. My screen went all
> off
> colour and AVg was picking up viruses that it could not delete or
> quarantine! One in particular whick kept popping up was Trojan horse small
> 13 exe. and when this warning appeared, I could not even get rid of the
> warning screen. When I tried to close it, it asked, "Do you really want to
> open the infected file". So, my PC is back with my supplier again and he
> is
> stumped. He insists that I must be doing something that I shouldn't be
> doing
> but I am not! I have told him that I am using my old system (right now eg)
> and that the settings are all identical to those on the newer PC! Can
> anybody please advise me? This is driving me nuts! I bought the new
> machine
> a few months ago partly because of how badly infected this machine was at
> that time. The only difference is that this PC is ME and the new one is
> XP.
> Please somebody help me out here? I have been posting stuff around this
> current problems for over a week now and either no one can suggest
> anything
> or no one wants to help.......please.....anybody

Barry

Do you have SP2? why did you have your computer reformated after having it
for only 2 month? did your supplier tell you what he cleaned out of your
registry? do you have a firewall? these are the things people need to know
before they can help you, personally I think you just need a good firewall
and antivirus protection, I like ETRUST EZ ARMOR
"eugene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:co0ds9$ftp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a real dilemma. I had to get my PC reformatted last week. Okay, so
>it
> now should be like it came out of the factory. The very second I went
> on-line, I was swamped with viruses........67 of them! I took the machine
> back to my supplier who cleaned out the registry without reformatting
> again
> and he installed a pro version of AVG. I then re-connected everything last
> night and I immediately began to get hit again! At one stage, my browser
> was
> hijacked and porn sites were added to My Favourites. My screen went all
> off
> colour and AVg was picking up viruses that it could not delete or
> quarantine! One in particular whick kept popping up was Trojan horse small
> 13 exe. and when this warning appeared, I could not even get rid of the
> warning screen. When I tried to close it, it asked, "Do you really want to
> open the infected file". So, my PC is back with my supplier again and he
> is
> stumped. He insists that I must be doing something that I shouldn't be
> doing
> but I am not! I have told him that I am using my old system (right now eg)
> and that the settings are all identical to those on the newer PC! Can
> anybody please advise me? This is driving me nuts! I bought the new
> machine
> a few months ago partly because of how badly infected this machine was at
> that time. The only difference is that this PC is ME and the new one is
> XP.
> Please somebody help me out here? I have been posting stuff around this
> current problems for over a week now and either no one can suggest
> anything
> or no one wants to help.......please.....anybody

Lady Chatterly

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> kadickless <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! 24hour****up.idiotdesk strikes again. Static IP has
>**** all to do with it, you gormless ****.

Are you positive?

--
Lady Chatterly

"I don't mind the arrogance as much as the fact that it's mean to me."
-- Tuesday Knight

Timberwolf

"eugene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:co0ds9$ftp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a real dilemma. I had to get my PC reformatted last week. Okay, so
>it
> now should be like it came out of the factory. The very second I went
> on-line, I was swamped with viruses........67 of them! I took the machine
> back to my supplier who cleaned out the registry without reformatting
> again
> and he installed a pro version of AVG. I then re-connected everything last
> night and I immediately began to get hit again! At one stage, my browser
> was
> hijacked and porn sites were added to My Favourites. My screen went all
> off
> colour and AVg was picking up viruses that it could not delete or
> quarantine! One in particular whick kept popping up was Trojan horse small
> 13 exe. and when this warning appeared, I could not even get rid of the
> warning screen. When I tried to close it, it asked, "Do you really want to
> open the infected file". So, my PC is back with my supplier again and he
> is
> stumped. He insists that I must be doing something that I shouldn't be
> doing
> but I am not! I have told him that I am using my old system (right now eg)
> and that the settings are all identical to those on the newer PC! Can
> anybody please advise me? This is driving me nuts! I bought the new
> machine
> a few months ago partly because of how badly infected this machine was at
> that time. The only difference is that this PC is ME and the new one is
> XP.
> Please somebody help me out here? I have been posting stuff around this
> current problems for over a week now and either no one can suggest
> anything
> or no one wants to help.......please.....anybody

Kaditcha Man and pcbutts1 have given you all the advice you need.
Just to add to it--can you see the lead that plugs into the
wall?--yes?--unplug it---Get yourself down the local adult education center
and learn something.

joevan

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:33:45 +0000 (UTC), "eugene"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a real dilemma. I had to get my PC reformatted last week. Okay, so it
>now should be like it came out of the factory. The very second I went
>on-line, I was swamped with viruses........67 of them! I took the machine
>back to my supplier who cleaned out the registry without reformatting again
>and he installed a pro version of AVG. I then re-connected everything last
>night and I immediately began to get hit again! At one stage, my browser was
>hijacked and porn sites were added to My Favourites. My screen went all off
>colour and AVg was picking up viruses that it could not delete or
>quarantine! One in particular whick kept popping up was Trojan horse small
>13 exe. and when this warning appeared, I could not even get rid of the
>warning screen. When I tried to close it, it asked, "Do you really want to
>open the infected file". So, my PC is back with my supplier again and he is
>stumped. He insists that I must be doing something that I shouldn't be doing
>but I am not! I have told him that I am using my old system (right now eg)
>and that the settings are all identical to those on the newer PC! Can
>anybody please advise me? This is driving me nuts! I bought the new machine
>a few months ago partly because of how badly infected this machine was at
>that time. The only difference is that this PC is ME and the new one is XP.
>Please somebody help me out here? I have been posting stuff around this
>current problems for over a week now and either no one can suggest anything
>or no one wants to help.......please.....anybody

Nucking futs.
joevan

eugene

Thanks to anybody who offered advice. I will check all this stuff out to see
if I can avoid problems in future. To those of you who have nothing better
to do that offer insults. Go stew yer heads!

Eugene

OT:Friday Frustration CBIC MCSE 8 10-14-2005 07:37 PM
Filter Frustration Mark Adams Firefox 7 03-01-2005 05:06 AM
frustration with events firing Rob ASP .Net 5 09-11-2004 04:51 PM
Frustration getting MELL support Sandy Wood Microsoft Certification 0 07-14-2004 10:25 PM
Crystal Frustration MattG ASP .Net 0 11-26-2003 02:45 PM

Advertisments