Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > help with backing up certain files

help with backing up certain files

MB_

Perhaps some of you folks have a good way to do this.

I have a folder called Documents. This includes, at this point, hundreds of
files (and also about 7 sub-folders, each containing about 30 files).

Now, from time-to-time I back up important stuff. Basically, I have a file
called documents on my removable media and I just generally delete the
back-up folder documents and then just copy the whole mess from my hard
drive and paste it to my removable drive.

There is no real problem, but it does take some time (maybe 5-10 minutes to
do the whole thing). My question is this: I am copying maybe 650 files,
where there are probably only 15-20 files that have been changed since the
last b/u.

Is there some easy command that will do this?? Perhaps there is an easy way
to say copy files changed since 10/01/04 or something like that (then I
could do this every month or so).

Mel

°Mike°

Try Karen's Replicator:
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:00:13 -0500, in
<5QNod.8$(E-Mail Removed)>
MB_ scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Willard

MB_ wrote:
> Perhaps some of you folks have a good way to do this.
>
> I have a folder called Documents. This includes, at this point, hundreds of
> files (and also about 7 sub-folders, each containing about 30 files).
>
> Now, from time-to-time I back up important stuff. Basically, I have a file
> called documents on my removable media and I just generally delete the
> back-up folder documents and then just copy the whole mess from my hard
> drive and paste it to my removable drive.
>
> There is no real problem, but it does take some time (maybe 5-10 minutes to
> do the whole thing). My question is this: I am copying maybe 650 files,
> where there are probably only 15-20 files that have been changed since the
> last b/u.
>
> Is there some easy command that will do this?? Perhaps there is an easy way
> to say copy files changed since 10/01/04 or something like that (then I
> could do this every month or so).
>
> Mel

You might try XXCOPY:

http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm#toc

Willard

PC

"MB_" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5QNod.8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Perhaps some of you folks have a good way to do this.
>
> I have a folder called Documents. This includes, at this point, hundreds
> of
> files (and also about 7 sub-folders, each containing about 30 files).
>
> Now, from time-to-time I back up important stuff. Basically, I have a file
> called documents on my removable media and I just generally delete the
> back-up folder documents and then just copy the whole mess from my hard
> drive and paste it to my removable drive.
>
> There is no real problem, but it does take some time (maybe 5-10 minutes
> do the whole thing). My question is this: I am copying maybe 650 files,
> where there are probably only 15-20 files that have been changed since the
> last b/u.
>
> Is there some easy command that will do this?? Perhaps there is an easy
> way
> to say copy files changed since 10/01/04 or something like that (then I
> could do this every month or so).
>
> Mel

MS backup, and it comes with Windows.

From Backup's help file
The Backup utility supports five methods of backing up data on your computer
or network.

Copy backup

A copy backup copies all selected files but does not mark each file as
having been backed up (in other words, the archive attribute is not
cleared). Copying is useful if you want to back up files between normal and
incremental backups because copying does not affect these other backup
operations.

Daily backup

A daily backup copies all selected files that have been modified the day the
daily backup is performed. The backed-up files are not marked as having been
backed up (in other words, the archive attribute is not cleared).

Differential backup

A differential backup copies files created or changed since the last normal
or incremental backup. It does not mark files as having been backed up (in
other words, the archive attribute is not cleared). If you are performing a
combination of normal and differential backups, restoring files and folders
requires that you have the last normal as well as the last differential
backup.

Incremental backup

An incremental backup backs up only those files created or changed since the
last normal or incremental backup. It marks files as having been backed up
(in other words, the archive attribute is cleared). If you use a combination
of normal and incremental backups, you will need to have the last normal
backup set as well as all incremental backup sets in order to restore your
data.

Normal backup

A normal backup copies all selected files and marks each file as having been
backed up (in other words, the archive attribute is cleared). With normal
backups, you need only the most recent copy of the backup file or tape to
restore all of the files. You usually perform a normal backup the first time
you create a backup set.

(Accessories, System tools or on your OS CD if it's not installed)

Cheers
Paul

gust

> There is no real problem, but it does take some time (maybe 5-10
> minutes to do the whole thing). My question is this: I am copying
> maybe 650 files, where there are probably only 15-20 files that have
> been changed since the last b/u.
>
> Is there some easy command that will do this?? Perhaps there is an
> easy way to say copy files changed since 10/01/04 or something like
> that (then I could do this every month or so).
>
> Mel

this works really well

http://www.centered.com/