Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New XP User Questions

New XP User Questions

Bob

Hello:

Brand new with XP, and have two questions, please:

a. In W98, there was "Explorer" which showed very nicely in tree form
everything on your drive.
What is equivalent to that in XP, and how do I find it ?

b. How can I drag desktop icons and shortcuts so that they appear in the
bar (not sure of its correct name) that is at the very bottom of the page ?

c. Similar quest to (b); How can I also put an icon to go directly to the
Desktop there

Thanks,
Bob

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hello:
|
| Brand new with XP, and have two questions, please:
|
| a. In W98, there was "Explorer" which showed very nicely in tree form
| everything on your drive.
| What is equivalent to that in XP, and how do I find it ?

---------------------------
It's still there - they moved the shortcut. Click on Start, All Programs,
Accessories.
---------------------------

| b. How can I drag desktop icons and shortcuts so that they appear in the
| bar (not sure of its correct name) that is at the very bottom of the page
?

---------------------------
The bar is called the "Taskbar". In Windows 98 and others, it automatically
showed the "Quick Launch" toolbar. In XP, that has to be turned on manually.
Right-click on a blank part of the taskbar, and click on Toolbars, then
Quick Launch. Now you can drag icons into the Quick Launch area.
---------------------------

| c. Similar quest to (b); How can I also put an icon to go directly to the
| Desktop there

---------------------------
That "Show Desktop" icon should be there as soon as you enable the Quick
Launch toolbar as indicated above.
---------------------------

| Thanks,
| Bob

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hello:
|
| Brand new with XP, and have two questions, please:
|
| a. In W98, there was "Explorer" which showed very nicely in tree form
| everything on your drive.
| What is equivalent to that in XP, and how do I find it ?
|
| b. How can I drag desktop icons and shortcuts so that they appear in the
| bar (not sure of its correct name) that is at the very bottom of the page
?

| c. Similar quest to (b); How can I also put an icon to go directly to the
| Desktop there
|
| Thanks,
| Bob

Oh - I forgot to mention that you might want to avoid posting in Usenet with
your real email address. Read the following information:

Munging
WHY: http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html
HOW: http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html
MORE: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq/spam-faq/

I'd suggest you simply add a ".invalid" to the end of your email address
where it's listed in your account settings. In Outlook Express, click on
Tools, Accounts, then the News Tab. Select your news server, then click on
Properties. On the General tab, go to the Email address and add the .invalid
at the end of the address. Simple. Done. Unless your news server demands a
legitimate email address, and even then, there are ways around that.

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Mon,
22 Nov 2004 18:16:57 -0500, "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> screamed from
behind the mulberry bush:

>Hello:
>
>Brand new with XP, and have two questions, please:
>
>a. In W98, there was "Explorer" which showed very nicely in tree form
>everything on your drive.
> What is equivalent to that in XP, and how do I find it ?

Start/Programs/Accessories/Windows Explorer For your inconvience they
decided to move it. However, they stuck the really *important* stuff
like Games on the program bar.

>b. How can I drag desktop icons and shortcuts so that they appear in the
>bar (not sure of its correct name) that is at the very bottom of the page ?

You can still drag and drop them into the Quick Launch bar like 98.

>c. Similar quest to (b); How can I also put an icon to go directly to the
>Desktop there

Drag and drop it or left click and choose Create a Shortcut.

Scraggy

Bob wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Brand new with XP, and have two questions, please:
>
> a. In W98, there was "Explorer" which showed very nicely in tree form
> everything on your drive.
> What is equivalent to that in XP, and how do I find it ?
>
> b. How can I drag desktop icons and shortcuts so that they appear in
> the bar (not sure of its correct name) that is at the very bottom of
> the page ?
>
> c. Similar quest to (b); How can I also put an icon to go directly
> to the Desktop there
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Right click on the Start button>explore
--
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to
arm bears. -- Chris Addison

gb

Bob

You've had answers re the desktop, but for Explorer, you can open My
Computer as normal, and click the Folders icon on the toolbar for the same
effect.

gb

news:(E-Mail Removed)...