Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Xnews with AOL

Xnews with AOL

John Robinson

Hi

I was telling my friend about Xnews and he downloaded it today. He cannot
find the settings for the AOL newsgroups so he can use it.

Anyone know what to put in eg. news.aol.com???

John

DC

John Robinson wrote:
> Hi

> I was telling my friend about Xnews and he downloaded it today. He cannot
> find the settings for the AOL newsgroups so he can use it.

> Anyone know what to put in eg. news.aol.com???

Can't be done. Google Groups is your friend.

902 English messages for xnews aol group:news.software.readers.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

It's not the software that's free; it's you.

Blinky the Shark

John Robinson wrote:
> Hi

> I was telling my friend about Xnews and he downloaded it today. He cannot
> find the settings for the AOL newsgroups so he can use it.

> Anyone know what to put in eg. news.aol.com???

Have him get a real ISP.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

joevan

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:40:32 GMT, "John Robinson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I was telling my friend about Xnews and he downloaded it today. He cannot
>find the settings for the AOL newsgroups so he can use it.
>
>Anyone know what to put in eg. news.aol.com???
>
>John

Look up teranews. www.teranews.com

I have been using them for years and they have been pretty good.
Now for free mind you they are damn good.
You have to give a credit card number (they never abuse it.I have been
with them 10 years or more and they have never charged a dime on
mine.)
If you get agent forte you will be doing just great. Set up the agent,
and put in your teranews name and password and it has nothing to do
with aohell.
Years ago it was totally free now I think it is about 4 bucks american
to process the information on the credit card so they know you are old
enough to use their service.
Check it out, it is a good thing. I have no connection with them, I
just find it a decent outfit.
joevan

Joel Rubin

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I was telling my friend about Xnews and he downloaded it today. He cannot
>find the settings for the AOL newsgroups so he can use it.
>
>Anyone know what to put in eg. news.aol.com???

AOL does not have a standard news server so it doesn't work with
Xnews.

You can use Xnews if you're on AOL IF you have an account on somebody
else's standard news server.

You can get a free account (no binaries) from the Free University of
Berlin. You are subject to their rules and laws.

http://news.individual.net/

You can also get a paid one from such companies as Giganews, Easynews,
et alia.

John Robinson

Right..... think I've got the message. I'll tell him AOL is a bag of poo and
pass on your other advice.

Cheers for the replies.

John

"John Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QLnod.210$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I was telling my friend about Xnews and he downloaded it today. He cannot
> find the settings for the AOL newsgroups so he can use it.
>
> Anyone know what to put in eg. news.aol.com???
>
> John

Mike Easter

John Robinson wrote:
> I was telling my friend about Xnews and he downloaded it today. He
> cannot find the settings for the AOL newsgroups so he can use it.

Many people give AOL 'credit' for having excellent 'coverage' of usenet,
but it isn't on a 'normal' nntp newsserver, but on AOL's proprietary
service and therefore only accessible with AOL's cruddy news interface
software. So, if one wants to use a 3rd party software such as xnews,
your friend has to find a newsserver than other than AOL's, either free
or commercial. But if your friend can live with the AOL 'system'
there's a lot of newsgroups available there.

Adam K. Bailey's AOL help pages
http://members.aol.com/adamkb/reference.html AOL Reference and Help

AOL Newsmaster F.A.Q. http://members.aol.com/newsmaster/
4. News readers and NNTP issues:
4.1. Can I use a third party news reader to access the AOL news servers?
4.2. What is the name of AOL's NNTP server?
4.3. Can I use my AOL connection to access local news servers, such as
my university server?

--
Mike Easter

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Mon,
22 Nov 2004 21:04:23 GMT, "John Robinson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> screamed from behind the
mulberry bush:

>Right..... think I've got the message. I'll tell him AOL is a bag of poo and
>pass on your other advice.
>
>Cheers for the replies.

With that thought, AOL uses proprietary servers for the newgroups and
you have to use their shitware.