Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do I repair Windows???

How do I repair Windows???

newsguy67

I have Windows XP Professional on my machine. I just got it back from the
repair shop and they had to install a new motherboard. The tech guy told me
to repair windows. So I put my Windows XP Professional in my drive to
repair. It didn't read the cd-rom. I have a suspicious feeling that the
Windows XP Professional cd I have is not a bootable rom.

I can't be sure but I think I installed Windows XP Professional on top of an
existing operating system. If that is the case, how can do the repair
process to synch my existing hard drive to my new motherboard. Thanks for
the help.

Toolman Tim

"newsguy67" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
|I have Windows XP Professional on my machine. I just got it back from the
| repair shop and they had to install a new motherboard. The tech guy told
me
| to repair windows. So I put my Windows XP Professional in my drive to
| repair. It didn't read the cd-rom. I have a suspicious feeling that the
| Windows XP Professional cd I have is not a bootable rom.

If the CD is made by Microsoft (holograms, all that), then it is bootable.

| I can't be sure but I think I installed Windows XP Professional on top of
an
| existing operating system. If that is the case, how can do the repair
| process to synch my existing hard drive to my new motherboard. Thanks for
| the help.

Your repair shop is worthless. That should have been done by them.

My first guess is they didn't set up the CMOS in the new motherboard to boot
from a CD. When the computer is first started, and doing the POST (memory
test, drive check, etc.) it should display a message telling you how to go
into setup (Press F1 to enter setup, Press DEL to enter setup, something
like that.) Go into the setup for the motherboard and look for the boot
drive order. I usually set it to 1) floppy drive, 2) CD-ROM, 3) 1st IDE
drive. Then save, exit, and it should boot from your CD-ROM.

One problem I've had in the past may occur - the Windows Activation may be
rendered invalid by replacing a motherboard. If that happens, you might not
be able to boot and re-activate normally. In that case, you might have to
call Microsoft during the activation process. The reason this happens, is
when XP is "de-activated" it shows that Windows was installed months or
years ago, well past the 30 day allowable activation period. So Windows will
do *nothing* until it's activated. But your Internet connection may not be
fully set up (especially with motherboards using on-board modem or NIC,
since those parts aren't working yet) and so it can't be activated
automatically.

Duane Arnold

"newsguy67" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have Windows XP Professional on my machine. I just got it back from
> the repair shop and they had to install a new motherboard. The tech
> guy told me to repair windows. So I put my Windows XP Professional in
> my drive to repair. It didn't read the cd-rom. I have a suspicious
> feeling that the Windows XP Professional cd I have is not a bootable
> rom.

The install CD should be a bootable CD. You must tell the BIOS on the
computer to boot from the CD in the boot sequence first and then it will
boot from the CD. The BIOS setup is that part in the machine boot process
that tells you to Press F1 or F2 or some other key to enter the the BIOS
setup.

> I can't be sure but I think I installed Windows XP Professional on top
> of an existing operating system. If that is the case, how can do the
> repair process to synch my existing hard drive to my new motherboard.
> Thanks for the help.

You should be able to do the same thing if need be and install XP over the
top of itself and it will install the O/S but it will not destroy what you
already have installed and working on the machine for programs that were
installed. You will have to install any SP for XP and the hot fixes as they
will be lost.

Duane

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

newsguy67 wrote:
> I have Windows XP Professional on my machine. I just got it back from the
> repair shop and they had to install a new motherboard. The tech guy told me
> to repair windows. So I put my Windows XP Professional in my drive to
> repair. It didn't read the cd-rom. I have a suspicious feeling that the
> Windows XP Professional cd I have is not a bootable rom.
>
> I can't be sure but I think I installed Windows XP Professional on top of an
> existing operating system. If that is the case, how can do the repair
> process to synch my existing hard drive to my new motherboard. Thanks for
> the help.

If this is a customized CD of Windows like Dell or Gateway provides, the
process is different. But changing motherboards (if it's another brand
or even another model) requires making a lot of changes to XP. Usually
most of these can be done by installing the drivers that came with the
motherboard, but the repair shop DEFINITELY should have done that for
you. If what you have is a standard issue Windows XP Pro disk it is
bootable. But I think I'd either load the machine back into the car and
take it back to the shop or better yet, take it to a competent repair shop.

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| newsguy67 wrote:
| > I have Windows XP Professional on my machine. I just got it back from
the
| > repair shop and they had to install a new motherboard. The tech guy
told me
| > to repair windows. So I put my Windows XP Professional in my drive to
| > repair. It didn't read the cd-rom. I have a suspicious feeling that
the
| > Windows XP Professional cd I have is not a bootable rom.
| >
| > I can't be sure but I think I installed Windows XP Professional on top
of an
| > existing operating system. If that is the case, how can do the repair
| > process to synch my existing hard drive to my new motherboard. Thanks
for
| > the help.
|
| If this is a customized CD of Windows like Dell or Gateway provides, the
| process is different. But changing motherboards (if it's another brand
| or even another model) requires making a lot of changes to XP. Usually
| most of these can be done by installing the drivers that came with the
| motherboard, but the repair shop DEFINITELY should have done that for
| you. If what you have is a standard issue Windows XP Pro disk it is
| bootable. But I think I'd either load the machine back into the car and
| take it back to the shop or better yet, take it to a competent repair
shop.

Now, Roger, tell us what you *really* think <grin>! But I concur...if I
treated my customer like that, I'd feel like I was working for Dell...

Duane Arnold

..

> | If this is a customized CD of Windows like Dell or Gateway provides, the
> | process is different. But changing motherboards (if it's another brand
> | or even another model) requires making a lot of changes to XP. Usually
> | most of these can be done by installing the drivers that came with the
> | motherboard, but the repair shop DEFINITELY should have done that for
> | you. If what you have is a standard issue Windows XP Pro disk it is
> | bootable. But I think I'd either load the machine back into the car and
> | take it back to the shop or better yet, take it to a competent repair
> shop.
>
> Now, Roger, tell us what you *really* think <grin>! But I concur...if I
> treated my customer like that, I'd feel like I was working for Dell...

Yes, once you think about that, it is a poor job that has been done. I think
I too would be all over the repair company about returning the machine in
working order. I have had to send my laptop in for repair and they wanted
the user-id and psw an the original Compaq ME install CD in case they had
to wipe the machine out, which I didn't care as long as the machine was
working if ME and to be installed replacing XP or Win 2K at the time.

Duane

Bruce T. Berger

Get a new repair shop. "the tech guy" is a fraud.

btb

"newsguy67" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have Windows XP Professional on my machine. I just got it back from the
> repair shop and they had to install a new motherboard. The tech guy told
> me
> to repair windows. >

newsguy67

Thanks for all the responses. The tech guy at the shop told me that he
would do the installation for me provided I had a licensed version of the
operating system. Unfortunately the version I have was given to me by a
friend and I believe it's a cracked version.

"newsguy67" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have Windows XP Professional on my machine. I just got it back from the
> repair shop and they had to install a new motherboard. The tech guy told

me
> to repair windows. So I put my Windows XP Professional in my drive to
> repair. It didn't read the cd-rom. I have a suspicious feeling that the
> Windows XP Professional cd I have is not a bootable rom.
>
> I can't be sure but I think I installed Windows XP Professional on top of

an
> existing operating system. If that is the case, how can do the repair
> process to synch my existing hard drive to my new motherboard. Thanks for
> the help.

Oxford Systems

"newsguy67" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have Windows XP Professional on my machine. I just got it back from the
> repair shop and they had to install a new motherboard. The tech guy told
> me
> to repair windows. So I put my Windows XP Professional in my drive to
> repair. It didn't read the cd-rom. I have a suspicious feeling that the
> Windows XP Professional cd I have is not a bootable rom.

If it's a legit Windows XP CD, it's bootable. If it's even a half decent rip
off, it's bootable. Do you have your CD selected in BIOS as a boot device?

newsguy67

Yup...my CD-rom is my bootable device. The problem is that I have a ripped
version of Windows XP Pro. It's a full installation but it won't boot up
Now I have to install 95, then 98, then XP. I would buy XP pro but I
believe it only allows you to install it on one machine. And I intend on
getting a new machine next year so I don't want to buy it and install it now
and then have to buy it again next year.

news:Kbkod.1169$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...