Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Want to use old computer for IIS, .NET and SQL Server testing at work - what's a good setup?

Want to use old computer for IIS, .NET and SQL Server testing at work - what's a good setup?

Gummy

Hello All,

I just got a new laptop at work. I would like to use my old desktop for
learning about .NET and SQL Server. That way if I mess anything up I am not
messing with my basic work machine.

I don't want the testing machine on the network (right now). My
understanding that IIS will be "broadcasting" that the test machine is on
the network. But the possibility does exist that I may want it at some point
so people could access the internal site I build.

What is the best way, short of another keyboard, monitor, mouse, etc. to
have access to this test machine? A direct USB link? Some sort of hub?

Both machines are running Windows 2000 Professional.

Thanks for the help.

-Rob

Duane Arnold

"Gummy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello All,
>
> I just got a new laptop at work. I would like to use my old desktop
> for learning about .NET and SQL Server. That way if I mess anything up
> I am not messing with my basic work machine.
>
> I don't want the testing machine on the network (right now). My
> understanding that IIS will be "broadcasting" that the test machine is
> on the network. But the possibility does exist that I may want it at
> some point so people could access the internal site I build.

> What is the best way, short of another keyboard, monitor, mouse, etc.
> to have access to this test machine? A direct USB link? Some sort of
> hub?

You should get your self a NAT router to protect the Web Server such as
IIS.

> Both machines are running Windows 2000 Professional.
>
> Thanks for the help.

You should get yourself a NAT router to protect the Web Server such as
IIS. They cannot come past the NAT router unless you open port 80 to the
public Internet by port forwarding port 80 to the Web Server.

It does take some security knowledge to properly setup the O/S, registry,
file system, user accounts, and IIS properly when exposing the Web server
to the public Internet, otherwise, I see *hacked* in your future.
However, there a plenty of links out on the Internet on how to setup the
security to protect the machine that is exposing IIS to the public
Internet.

You can develop your .Net applications and then upload the software to a
Web Service provider to expose the .Net application to the public
Internet without trying to expose your Web server and having it hacked to
death, because security is not properly setup on the machine for IIS or
the network in general. The Web Service providers are cheap and secure.

Duane

Dodo

IIS does not broadcast anything. Windows will broadcast if NetBIOS is turned
on.

why?

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:44:48 -0500, Gummy wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I just got a new laptop at work. I would like to use my old desktop for
>learning about .NET and SQL Server. That way if I mess anything up I am not
>messing with my basic work machine.
>
>I don't want the testing machine on the network (right now). My
>understanding that IIS will be "broadcasting" that the test machine is on

That's a new one. It's not IIS, any system will appear in the browser
list unless it's configured not to.

Any machine can be tested to see if it's offering web servers.

>the network. But the possibility does exist that I may want it at some point
>so people could access the internal site I build.

Then go with the member of current domain / workgroup it's easier to do
that now rather then change system security later. Also use the IIS/NT
User / Group rights to setup / deny access to IIS sites.

IIS can also grant/deny based on IP addresses globally or single or
ranges.

>What is the best way, short of another keyboard, monitor, mouse, etc. to
>have access to this test machine? A direct USB link? Some sort of hub?

Use a KVM, and connect to same network as laptop.

>Both machines are running Windows 2000 Professional.
>
>Thanks for the help.
>
>-Rob

Me

Gummy

THanks for the information.

What is a KVM?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:44:48 -0500, Gummy wrote:
>
> >Hello All,
> >
> >I just got a new laptop at work. I would like to use my old desktop for
> >learning about .NET and SQL Server. That way if I mess anything up I am

not
> >messing with my basic work machine.
> >
> >I don't want the testing machine on the network (right now). My
> >understanding that IIS will be "broadcasting" that the test machine is on

> That's a new one. It's not IIS, any system will appear in the browser
> list unless it's configured not to.
>
> Any machine can be tested to see if it's offering web servers.
>
> >the network. But the possibility does exist that I may want it at some

point
> >so people could access the internal site I build.

> Then go with the member of current domain / workgroup it's easier to do
> that now rather then change system security later. Also use the IIS/NT
> User / Group rights to setup / deny access to IIS sites.
>
> IIS can also grant/deny based on IP addresses globally or single or
> ranges.
>
> >What is the best way, short of another keyboard, monitor, mouse, etc. to
> >have access to this test machine? A direct USB link? Some sort of hub?

> Use a KVM, and connect to same network as laptop.
>
> >Both machines are running Windows 2000 Professional.
> >
> >Thanks for the help.
> >
> >-Rob
> >

> Me

Duane Arnold

"Gummy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> THanks for the information.
>
> What is a KVM?

It's a switch that allows a single monitor, keyborad and mouse to be used
by more than one computer. I use a Belkin KMV to switch between my Windows
and Linux computers at home. They have one in the programmer's testing/
build room that controls 8 servers with one monitor, keyboard and mouse
while you're in the room.If you're not in the room then one can connect to
a machine using PCanywhere or Netmeeting RDS.

Duane

why?

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:59:26 GMT, Duane Arnold wrote:

>"Gummy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> THanks for the information.
>>
>> What is a KVM?
>>

>It's a switch that allows a single monitor, keyborad and mouse to be used
>by more than one computer. I use a Belkin KMV to switch between my Windows
>and Linux computers at home. They have one in the programmer's testing/

<snip>

Thanks for picking up the answer to that, I went out for a while.

Me

Dodo

A KVM Switch won't do you any good with a laptop. The best solution is to
use XP Pro on the server and create a network between the two machines with
ethernet crossover or ad-hoc wireless. Use automatic private addressing and
NetBIOS for name resolution. You can access the server machine over the
network using RDP and it won't require a keyboard, mouse, monitor or video
card.