Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > P4 and MB temps

P4 and MB temps

Gary Danaher

I recently had to rebuild the home computer and went from a P4 2.4 to a
P4 2.8 with an Intel D865PERL motherboard. Intel supplies an active
monitor of conditions, and generally things are running on the high side
of normal. The P4 has the stock Intel cooler, the power supply is hefty
enough, exhausts its heat to the rear, maintains nominal voltages. I've
added a new 80 mm fan to exhaust to the front but with that running at
full jet takeoff velocity it only seems to pull a few degrees off.
Slowing it down a bit so I can hear in the room bumps the temp up some
but still better than with no front exhaust fan at all. The monitor
shows the processor zone right now at 133F, below the red line of 167,
but System Zone 2 is at 118F with a red line of 122. No explanation
where on the board System Zone 2 is located. No amount of fans does much
to get this down. Have a 6 inch, 120v ac fan I picked up at a sale and
use it for weird cooling projects. Sat this inside the open case and
still didn't get the temp down much below 100.
a) Do I need to worry about this?
b) If so, what are your suggestions regarding cooling. I've already
considered the refrigerator, but the cables aren't long enough.

Toolman Tim

I can't help much, but I would think exhausting the case both at the front
and back isn't your best bet. If you have two *outputs* and no *inputs* you
aren't going to cool much of anything. I'd try turning around that fan you
put in the front so it runs air INTO the case from the front, and OUT from
the back.

"Gary Danaher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|I recently had to rebuild the home computer and went from a P4 2.4 to a
| P4 2.8 with an Intel D865PERL motherboard. Intel supplies an active
| monitor of conditions, and generally things are running on the high side
| of normal. The P4 has the stock Intel cooler, the power supply is hefty
| enough, exhausts its heat to the rear, maintains nominal voltages. I've
| added a new 80 mm fan to exhaust to the front but with that running at
| full jet takeoff velocity it only seems to pull a few degrees off.
| Slowing it down a bit so I can hear in the room bumps the temp up some
| but still better than with no front exhaust fan at all. The monitor
| shows the processor zone right now at 133F, below the red line of 167,
| but System Zone 2 is at 118F with a red line of 122. No explanation
| where on the board System Zone 2 is located. No amount of fans does much
| to get this down. Have a 6 inch, 120v ac fan I picked up at a sale and
| use it for weird cooling projects. Sat this inside the open case and
| still didn't get the temp down much below 100.
| a) Do I need to worry about this?
| b) If so, what are your suggestions regarding cooling. I've already
| considered the refrigerator, but the cables aren't long enough.

Gary Danaher

Thanks for the response. I tried that initially and got only a 4 degree
change in the cpu. Exhausting it saw about a 9 degree change (all F).
I've tinkered with this a bit. The fan I have in the front is capable of
moving a LOT of air but is also noisy. I installed a rheostat in series
to adjust speed/air flow--to keep it from sounding like a an F-15 at the
catapult.

Toolman Tim wrote:
> I can't help much, but I would think exhausting the case both at the front
> and back isn't your best bet. If you have two *outputs* and no *inputs* you
> aren't going to cool much of anything. I'd try turning around that fan you
> put in the front so it runs air INTO the case from the front, and OUT from
> the back.
>
> "Gary Danaher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> |I recently had to rebuild the home computer and went from a P4 2.4 to a
> | P4 2.8 with an Intel D865PERL motherboard. Intel supplies an active
> | monitor of conditions, and generally things are running on the high side
> | of normal. The P4 has the stock Intel cooler, the power supply is hefty
> | enough, exhausts its heat to the rear, maintains nominal voltages. I've
> | added a new 80 mm fan to exhaust to the front but with that running at
> | full jet takeoff velocity it only seems to pull a few degrees off.
> | Slowing it down a bit so I can hear in the room bumps the temp up some
> | but still better than with no front exhaust fan at all. The monitor
> | shows the processor zone right now at 133F, below the red line of 167,
> | but System Zone 2 is at 118F with a red line of 122. No explanation
> | where on the board System Zone 2 is located. No amount of fans does much
> | to get this down. Have a 6 inch, 120v ac fan I picked up at a sale and
> | use it for weird cooling projects. Sat this inside the open case and
> | still didn't get the temp down much below 100.
> | a) Do I need to worry about this?
> | b) If so, what are your suggestions regarding cooling. I've already
> | considered the refrigerator, but the cables aren't long enough.

dadiOH

Gary Danaher wrote:

> No amount of fans does much to get
> this down. Have a 6 inch, 120v ac fan I picked up at a sale and use
> it for weird cooling projects. Sat this inside the open case and
> still didn't get the temp down much below 100.
> a) Do I need to worry about this?
> b) If so, what are your suggestions regarding cooling. I've already
> considered the refrigerator, but the cables aren't long enough.

Tried a software cooler? Keeps my Athlon nearly chilly...

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

dadiOH

dadiOH wrote:

> Tried a software cooler? Keeps my Athlon nearly chilly...

Forgot to say I use CPU Idle, don't recall if it does Intel too...
http://www.cpuidle.de/

MotherBoard Monitor is nice with it.
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

--