Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Overheating RAM?

Overheating RAM?

Weirdo

Last night my PC spontaneously rebooted. It had been on for about 36 hours.
At the reboot screen, it showed my RAM as being 476 MB instead of 512 MB.
When Windows had loaded, the Properties of My Computer also said 476 MB.
I shut down, opened the case, and reseated all the RAM chips. Upon reboot,
everything still showed only 476 MB of RAM, but the PC operated as normal.

At bedtime I shut down the PC (instead of setting it Sleep). This morning,
it shows 512 MB everywhere again. This poses the question: Does RAM get
overheated and can stuff up? I've had this PC for like 3 years now with
this problem NEVER occurring before. I'm hoping it's a one-off problem!

Max M.Wachtel III

Weirdo wrote:
> Last night my PC spontaneously rebooted. It had been on for about 36 hours.
> At the reboot screen, it showed my RAM as being 476 MB instead of 512 MB.
> When Windows had loaded, the Properties of My Computer also said 476 MB.
> I shut down, opened the case, and reseated all the RAM chips. Upon reboot,
> everything still showed only 476 MB of RAM, but the PC operated as normal.
>
> At bedtime I shut down the PC (instead of setting it Sleep). This morning,
> it shows 512 MB everywhere again. This poses the question: Does RAM get
> overheated and can stuff up? I've had this PC for like 3 years now with
> this problem NEVER occurring before. I'm hoping it's a one-off problem!

It might not be a bad idea to clean it up.After 3 yrs it may be getting
clogged up.Overheating will cause your system to reboot.There may be
several fans,video card,power supply,processor,case.Do you keep your
machine on the desk or the floor? Keeping it up will reduce dirt.
-max

--
To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
Virus cleaning +fixes see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/TechPros

Weirdo

Max M.Wachtel III wrote:

> It might not be a bad idea to clean it up.After 3 yrs it may be
> getting clogged up.Overheating will cause your system to reboot.There
> may be several fans,video card,power supply,processor,case.Do you
> keep your machine on the desk or the floor? Keeping it up will reduce
> dirt.

It's on the floor but it's always kept clean. The side panel of the case
is kept unscrewed and I regularly open it and clean out any dust. Even
when I opened it after yesterday's incident it was totally dust-free, which
is why I wondered if overheating was the cause. I'll just have to shut it
down instead of sleeping it at night, I think.

Timberwolf

"Weirdo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Max M.Wachtel III wrote:
>
>> It might not be a bad idea to clean it up.After 3 yrs it may be
>> getting clogged up.Overheating will cause your system to reboot.There
>> may be several fans,video card,power supply,processor,case.Do you
>> keep your machine on the desk or the floor? Keeping it up will reduce
>> dirt.

> It's on the floor but it's always kept clean. The side panel of the case
> is kept unscrewed and I regularly open it and clean out any dust. Even
> when I opened it after yesterday's incident it was totally dust-free,
> which
> is why I wondered if overheating was the cause. I'll just have to shut it
> down instead of sleeping it at night, I think.

Consider this--everything has a working life.
Do you leave the car running outside just incase you need it?
Turning off when not in use (overnight) can only be a good thing--if only to
save electricity and to remove a potential fire hazzard in the worst case
scenario

Weirdo

Timberwolf wrote:

> Do you leave the car running outside just incase you need it?

Hehehe. But a car doesn't take 3 minutes to get going before you
can use it (hence my preference to Sleep my PC, to save bootup times).

> Turning off when not in use (overnight) can only be a good thing--if
> only to save electricity and to remove a potential fire hazzard in
> the worst case scenario

Very true. Powering down will be my new practice.

Poof

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Weirdo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Timberwolf wrote:
>
> > Do you leave the car running outside just incase you need it?

> Hehehe. But a car doesn't take 3 minutes to get going before you
> can use it (hence my preference to Sleep my PC, to save bootup times).

Unless you're trying run your dad's old station wagon in the freezing
winter.

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Timberwolf mused:

| Consider this--everything has a working life.
| Do you leave the car running outside just incase you need it?
| Turning off when not in use (overnight) can only be a good thing--if only
| to save electricity and to remove a potential fire hazzard in the worst
| case scenario

If petrol were as cheap as electricity, and cars as efficient as
computers, you just might. Engine startup is the #1 cause of wear on the
engine ... same for computers ... which is why many people chose to leave
theirs on 24/7 rather than shutdown and restart them repeatedly throughout
the day.

Unknown

What ridiculous reasoning! The number one cause of engine wear is engine run
time. Whether you realize it or not, every trasistor has a limited number of
switching times. They actually wear out.
"mhicaoidh" <mv_mhic_aoidh@hotXmailSPM.com> wrote in message
> Taking a moment's reflection, Timberwolf mused:
> |
> | Consider this--everything has a working life.
> | Do you leave the car running outside just incase you need it?
> | Turning off when not in use (overnight) can only be a good thing--if only
> | to save electricity and to remove a potential fire hazzard in the worst
> | case scenario
>
> If petrol were as cheap as electricity, and cars as efficient as
> computers, you just might. Engine startup is the #1 cause of wear on the
> engine ... same for computers ... which is why many people chose to leave
> theirs on 24/7 rather than shutdown and restart them repeatedly throughout
> the day.

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Unknown mused:

| What ridiculous reasoning! The number one cause of engine wear is engine
| run time.

Engine startup causes the most damage because the lubricants are often
drained down by gravity from the engine sitting idle. So, startup has the
least amount of lubricant protection, and therefore the most amount of
friction on the moving parts (pistons).

| Whether you realize it or not, every trasistor has a limited
| number of switching times. They actually wear out.

What's a trasistor?

filaret filaret is offline
Junior Member

What's the normal temperature of your RAM and is 34 Celsius too high? pls answer fast ( Everest puts this icon in black?)

CPU overheating sue Computer Support 11 04-30-2005 06:50 PM
P4 3GHZ OVERHEATING Michael Computer Support 9 06-19-2004 07:56 PM
overheating tomm Computer Support 9 04-22-2004 03:45 AM
PSU overheating? Anonymous Computer Support 1 12-11-2003 08:55 AM
PC Keeps Resetting = Athlon XP Overheating? John Computer Support 8 12-09-2003 01:35 AM

Advertisments