Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Upgraded to Winxp,Now HD knocks when starting and closeing

Upgraded to Winxp,Now HD knocks when starting and closeing

Ockerr

Hi Guys
I have just upgraded from Win98se to Xp pro
Now when the Computer starts up and reaches the Desktop window the Hard
Drive knocks for about 30 seconds also on shutdown it does the same.
Any suggestion on what might cause it, and how to fix it
Cheers and thanks

Dont want to Blow up my HD

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sun,
21 Nov 2004 17:23:47 +1300, "Ockerr" <(E-Mail Removed)> screamed
from behind the mulberry bush:

>Hi Guys
>I have just upgraded from Win98se to Xp pro
>Now when the Computer starts up and reaches the Desktop window the Hard
>Drive knocks for about 30 seconds also on shutdown it does the same.
>Any suggestion on what might cause it, and how to fix it
>Cheers and thanks
>
>Dont want to Blow up my HD

Use high octane gas.

°Mike°

Your drive may be about to kick the bucket. Back up
all of your important data NOW, and go shopping for
a new hard drive.

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:23:47 +1300, in
<MLUnd.6895$(E-Mail Removed)>
Ockerr scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

gust

> Hi Guys
> I have just upgraded from Win98se to Xp pro
> Now when the Computer starts up and reaches the Desktop window the Hard
> Drive knocks for about 30 seconds also on shutdown it does the same.
> Any suggestion on what might cause it, and how to fix it
> Cheers and thanks
>
> Dont want to Blow up my HD

knocking hard drive means it is about to die ........... back up your
important stuff asap and replace it ....... though after you back up your
important stuff you could try taking out the drive and smacking it not
too hard but hard enough ... like you would smack an older TV on the side
to get it working again ..... put it back in and see if it stops knocking

even if it does, don't use it for anything important because a knocking
drive is a failing drive and even though a knocker with a slap can once
in a blue moon last for a good long while .... most don't

knocking is the only thing a hard drive can say ..... the reasonable
thing to do is listen and understand ..........

Blinky the Shark

gust wrote:

>> I have just upgraded from Win98se to Xp pro Now when the Computer
>> starts up and reaches the Desktop window the Hard Drive knocks for
>> about 30 seconds also on shutdown it does the same.

These symptoms are, respectively, bit pre-ignition and data dieseling,
and are signs that you are probably using data with a low octane rating.
The next time you write to disk, try using premium data. It costs a bit
more, but you'll also get better mouse acceleration; and booting will be
easier, even in cold weather.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
| gust wrote:
|
| >> I have just upgraded from Win98se to Xp pro Now when the Computer
| >> starts up and reaches the Desktop window the Hard Drive knocks for
| >> about 30 seconds also on shutdown it does the same.
|
| These symptoms are, respectively, bit pre-ignition and data dieseling,
| and are signs that you are probably using data with a low octane rating.
| The next time you write to disk, try using premium data. It costs a bit
| more, but you'll also get better mouse acceleration; and booting will be
| easier, even in cold weather.

Cute, Blinky <VBG>

Blinky the Shark

Toolman Tim wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>| These symptoms are, respectively, bit pre-ignition and data dieseling,
>| and are signs that you are probably using data with a low octane rating.
>| The next time you write to disk, try using premium data. It costs a bit
>| more, but you'll also get better mouse acceleration; and booting will be
>| easier, even in cold weather.

> Cute, Blinky <VBG>

Cute? Hey, I'm trying to help the guy!

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

°Mike°

<inline>

On 23 Nov 2004 03:05:49 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Blinky the Shark scrawled:

>gust wrote:
>
>>> I have just upgraded from Win98se to Xp pro Now when the Computer
>>> starts up and reaches the Desktop window the Hard Drive knocks for
>>> about 30 seconds also on shutdown it does the same.

"gust" never wrote that at all. How about quoting correctly?

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Aingon Atelia

Ockerr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote at :
> Hi Guys
> I have just upgraded from Win98se to Xp pro
> Now when the Computer starts up and reaches the Desktop window the
> Hard Drive knocks for about 30 seconds also on shutdown it does the
> same. Any suggestion on what might cause it, and how to fix it
> Cheers and thanks
>
> Dont want to Blow up my HD

Are you sure it's your HD and not your floppy drive? I have had this
knocking happen at boot & shutdown when I've shut down with a floppy in the
drive and then removed it when the system was down. Try reading a floppy
and removing it with the system up.

You might also be set up for floppy seek at boot. If so, try turning it off
and seeing if it goes away.

--
Aingon Atelia
Poke out my left i before writing.

Blinky the Shark

°Mike° wrote:
><inline>

> On 23 Nov 2004 03:05:49 GMT, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Blinky the Shark scrawled:

> "gust" never wrote that at all. How about quoting correctly?

Yep, my bad. Busted for something I bust others for (albeit generally
only when I'm the one who's been misattributed). Damn.

And glad to see your sense of humor is still...oh, no, it's still
*missing*, isn't it? Back into the bin with with you, now.
<clicketyclick>

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Play Zork: http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/zork1.html