Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Vinyl to C.d.

Vinyl to C.d.

Freddy

newssSnd.31$(E-Mail Removed)-media.com...
> <<snipped>>
> | Stilll can't find any record option other than from CD.
> |

> Five easy steps:
> 1) connect your external audio source to the LINE IN of the sound card;
>
> 2) set your record input to Line In: click Options, Recorder, Source, Line
> In;

No trouble to get this far - but then I get window wanting me to upgrade to
Plus to copy from LP etc.
No record window. Sorry for being a PIA.

> 3) start the record window: click View, Recorder
>
> 4) type in the Album, Artist, Title information in the recorder window
>
> 5) press Start Copy button; then Stop Copy button when the song is
> recorded
>
> I can't make it any simpler than that!

Toolman Tim

"Freddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uPSnd.6883$(E-Mail Removed)...

| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| newssSnd.31$(E-Mail Removed)-media.com...
| > <<snipped>>
| > | Stilll can't find any record option other than from CD.
| >

| > Five easy steps:
|
| No trouble to get this far - but then I get window wanting me to upgrade
| Plus to copy from LP etc.
| No record window. Sorry for being a PIA.

Oh! Well, that wasn't very nice of them, now was it! The older versions (5,
6, etc.) did allow line in recording with the "Basic" version. Sorry. There
are a number of other programs to try, but as you may find, many of them
have time limits.

Grodon suggested "all2wav" (go to www.download.com and put that name in the
search box). It (like Windows Sound Recorder) records in WAV files but you
can easily convert a WAV file to an MP3. And of course, dadiOH *does* have a
nice informative package at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico with other
software ideas and great tips.

There are tricks to making Windows Sound Recorder go beyond 1 minute. I
don't remember them, but maybe someone will post that here for you.

PigSkin the Evil Twin

"Freddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uPSnd.6883$(E-Mail Removed)...

> newssSnd.31$(E-Mail Removed)-media.com...
> > <<snipped>>
> > | Stilll can't find any record option other than from CD.
> > |

> > Five easy steps:
> > 1) connect your external audio source to the LINE IN of the sound card;
> >
> > 2) set your record input to Line In: click Options, Recorder, Source,

Line
> > In;
> >

> No trouble to get this far - but then I get window wanting me to upgrade

> Plus to copy from LP etc.
> No record window. Sorry for being a PIA.

Try this instead. I had good luck with it. It only works for 7 days, I
believe.

http://www.polderbits.com/

Freddy

news:e3Tnd.38$(E-Mail Removed)-media.com...

> "Freddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uPSnd.6883$(E-Mail Removed)...
> |
> | "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | newssSnd.31$(E-Mail Removed)-media.com...
> | > <<snipped>>
> | >

> | > Five easy steps:
> |
> | No trouble to get this far - but then I get window wanting me to upgrade
> | Plus to copy from LP etc.
> | No record window. Sorry for being a PIA.
> |

> Oh! Well, that wasn't very nice of them, now was it! The older versions
> (5,
> 6, etc.) did allow line in recording with the "Basic" version. Sorry.
> There
> are a number of other programs to try, but as you may find, many of them
> have time limits.
>
> Grodon suggested "all2wav" (go to www.download.com and put that name in
> the
> search box). It (like Windows Sound Recorder) records in WAV files but you
> can easily convert a WAV file to an MP3. And of course, dadiOH *does* have
> nice informative package at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico with other
> software ideas and great tips.
>
> There are tricks to making Windows Sound Recorder go beyond 1 minute. I
> don't remember them, but maybe someone will post that here for you.

Yeah - worked out how to get windows past one minute, so am playing with
that. Thanks so much to you and also dadiOH. Am playing with all suggestions
made. So far I've learnt this is not a five minute exercise.

dadiOH

Toolman Tim wrote:
> "Freddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uPSnd.6883$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message newssSnd.31$(E-Mail Removed)-media.com...
>>> <<snipped>>
>>>

>>> Five easy steps:

>> No trouble to get this far - but then I get window wanting me to
>> upgrade to Plus to copy from LP etc.
>> No record window. Sorry for being a PIA.
>>

> Oh! Well, that wasn't very nice of them, now was it! The older
> versions (5, 6, etc.) did allow line in recording with the "Basic"
> version. Sorry. There are a number of other programs to try, but as
> you may find, many of them have time limits.

Here's a good, free, easy one...

CDex
Tools
Record from analog input
http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

G. Morgan

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:41:06 -0500 "dadiOH"
used 20 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

>dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
>...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
>LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
>Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Excellent tutorial dadiOH, very well done. Thanks!

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

Greg Onyshczak

Depending on the manufacturer of your sound card they may have recording
software on there website that you can download. Creative is one of them.

"Freddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yrOnd.6853$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I wish to preserve some old L.P. albums. Everything works fine but can only
>record up to 60 seconds on windows sound recorder. Anyone know of free
>program to record whole album? Plain language answers if possible. TIA.

WormWood

"Freddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yrOnd.6853$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I wish to preserve some old L.P. albums. Everything works fine but can
>only record up to 60 seconds on windows sound recorder. Anyone know of
>free program to record whole album? Plain language answers if possible.
>TIA.

You have received excellent suggestions from others, this is just an fyi
thing concerning recording for longer than 60 seconds using Windows
Sound Recorder. I have wondered how to do this for years. Your question
acted as a catalyst to google for an answer. This was taken from:

http://www.computerhope.com/software/soundrec.htm

<quote>
HOW CAN I RECORD A 60+ SECOND SOUND FILE?
Unfortunately there is no known way to easily change the sound
recorder to record longer then 60 seconds the reason for this is because
the sound recorder uses a low compression ratio therefore the files are
great quality however are also extremely big. The best way that we have
discovered to kind of by pass this is to hit record and just record dead
air and once stopped to hit record again and keep repeating the process
then when you have reached ample time to rewind and hit record and begin
recording.

The alternative to this solution would be to get an application
designed to record sound files at a good compression ratio.

</quote>

PJB

"Freddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uPSnd.6883$(E-Mail Removed)...

> newssSnd.31$(E-Mail Removed)-media.com...
> > <<snipped>>
> > | Stilll can't find any record option other than from CD.

if the LP's mean a lot to you, a small amount of cash purchasing some
software isn't too much of a drag, surely?

Try Goldwave, it's shareware, ie try before you buy, and doesn't cost an arm
& leg.
Or if you want to get rid of crackles etc, try Wave Corrector.

P.

Anthony Wieser

"Freddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yrOnd.6853$(E-Mail Removed)...
:I wish to preserve some old L.P. albums. Everything works fine but can only
: record up to 60 seconds on windows sound recorder. Anyone know of free
: program to record whole album? Plain language answers if possible. TIA.
:
:

While RIP Vinyl isn't free, it almost is. It costs only $7.00 for the full
version and you can download a free trial to see how it works (although the
demo inserts beeps on each track).
You can find out more from http://www.ripvinyl.com/?041121

Anthony Wieser
Wieser Software Ltd