Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > hello me again

hello me again

Annette Kurten

when I uncheck save my password in the dial up pop up.
It does just that, but the next time I open dial up the password is there
again!
I just want to bar a tiny person from logging on when I'm not there, but
everytime I remove it it comes back.
How do I set it so It asks for a password for logging on
win98???

dadiOH

Annette Kurten wrote:
> when I uncheck save my password in the dial up pop up.
> It does just that, but the next time I open dial up the password is
> there again!
> I just want to bar a tiny person from logging on when I'm not
> there, but everytime I remove it it comes back.
> How do I set it so It asks for a password for logging on
> win98???

Control Panel
Network
Configuration tab

Under "Primary Network Logon" select something other than Windows
Logon. If that is the only choice, ADD>CLIENT>ADD

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

trout

Annette Kurten wrote:

> when I uncheck save my password in the dial up pop up.
> It does just that, but the next time I open dial up the password is
> there again!
> I just want to bar a tiny person from logging on when I'm not there,
> but everytime I remove it it comes back.
> How do I set it so It asks for a password for logging on
> win98???

Just re-create the account (same details, but with the box
unchecked), and delete the old one.
--
"Should work."

Annette Kurten

"dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Annette Kurten wrote:
> > when I uncheck save my password in the dial up pop up.
> > It does just that, but the next time I open dial up the password is
> > there again!
> > I just want to bar a tiny person from logging on when I'm not
> > there, but everytime I remove it it comes back.
> > How do I set it so It asks for a password for logging on
> > win98???

> Control Panel
> Network
> Configuration tab
>
> Under "Primary Network Logon" select something other than Windows
> Logon. If that is the only choice, ADD>CLIENT>ADD
>
> --
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

What? I just want to be able to have to put in my password in the pop up
when needed.

Toolman Tim

"Annette Kurten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cnot6b$nkg$(E-Mail Removed)...

| "dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > Annette Kurten wrote:
| > > when I uncheck save my password in the dial up pop up.
| > > It does just that, but the next time I open dial up the password is
| > > there again!
| > > I just want to bar a tiny person from logging on when I'm not
| > > there, but everytime I remove it it comes back.
| > > How do I set it so It asks for a password for logging on
| > > win98???
| >
| > Control Panel
| > Network
| > Configuration tab
| >
| > Under "Primary Network Logon" select something other than Windows
| > Logon. If that is the only choice, ADD>CLIENT>ADD
| >
| > --
| > dadiOH
| > ____________________________
| >
| > dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
| > ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
| > LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
| > Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
| >
| What? I just want to be able to have to put in my password in the pop up
| when needed.

I think he simply misunderstood. He was giving instructions for logging on
to the computer, not for the password in Dial-Up networking. But you *DID*
say "logon to Windows", so the confusion isn't his fault.

Try this: start Internet Explorer. When it's up and running, go to Tools,
Internet Options, Connections tab. In the settings for your dial-up will be
the login name and password. Find that and remove the password from there. I
think that will do what you need.

In Windows XP, Internet Explorer version 6.x, the password box re-fills
itself with a whole string of dots. But there is really nothing there. I
don't know if it does that in Windows 98 or not.