Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Connecting|Disconnecting USBs

Connecting|Disconnecting USBs

Emrys Davies

I seem to dimly remember from my tuition on a course that it is safe to
connect or unconnect a USB connector to|from its port without closing
down the computer and I am seeking confirmation of that fact.

Thanks,
Emrys Davies.

DC

Emrys Davies wrote:
> I seem to dimly remember from my tuition on a course that it is safe to
> connect or unconnect a USB connector to|from its port without closing
> down the computer and I am seeking confirmation of that fact.

That is correct. They are "hot-pluggable". It's one of the advantages
of USB over older parallel connectors.

If you don't wish to take my work for it, Google on the above.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.
-- Neil Peart

DC

DC wrote:
> Emrys Davies wrote:
>> I seem to dimly remember from my tuition on a course that it is safe to
>> connect or unconnect a USB connector to|from its port without closing
>> down the computer and I am seeking confirmation of that fact.

> That is correct. They are "hot-pluggable". It's one of the advantages
> of USB over older parallel connectors.

> If you don't wish to take my work for it, Google on the above.

<piggyback> Oink.

Er, I meant "take my *word* for it. I'd like to keep my job, at least
until X-Mas, thank you. *<}:O)

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.
-- Neil Peart

willshak

On 11/20/2004 9:46 AM US(ET), Emrys Davies took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

>I seem to dimly remember from my tuition on a course that it is safe to
>connect or unconnect a USB connector to|from its port without closing
>down the computer and I am seeking confirmation of that fact.
>
>Thanks,
>Emrys Davies.

I have no problem connecting and disconnecting USB cables from my XP
Home computer while it is running. As a matter of fact, I have to do it
constantly with my graphics tablet's USB 2 plug whenever the computer
comes back on from Standby mode. After coming back, the tablet's power
is not restored and I have to remove the USB cable and plug it back in,
which then turns on the tablet.

Jerry G.

USB:
The design of the USB and Firewire ports were so that things can be
hot-swappable. USB was made in order to be able to add and remove devices
while everything is in operation. This is the same for the Ethernet port as
well.

Other Ports:
As for the parallel and serial ports, it is not advisable to remove these
while the power is on. But, if the serial port is using only the basic RX /
TX connections, and not anything else, then it can also be disconnected and
re-connected while the computer is running. As for the parallel and serial
ports, it is best to have everything turned off when making or breaking
their connections.

Others:
As for the monitor, it is best to turn everything off when making or
breaking the connections. But, when doing so, most likely there will be no
damage. As for the Mouse and keyboard, since these are on a PS2 type
connection, if you they are connected or disconnected when the power is on,
damage to the mother board, and these devices can easily occur.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Emrys Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I seem to dimly remember from my tuition on a course that it is safe to
> connect or unconnect a USB connector to|from its port without closing
> down the computer and I am seeking confirmation of that fact.
>
> Thanks,
> Emrys Davies.

Emrys Davies

Thanks everyone. What a good forum. I had failed to find the answer on
Google, but Jerry's 'Hot-Swappable' remark has led me to what I had
failed to find.

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/h/hotswapp.htm

Thanks again.

Regards,
Emrys Davies

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> USB:
> The design of the USB and Firewire ports were so that things can be
> hot-swappable. USB was made in order to be able to add and remove

devices
> while everything is in operation. This is the same for the Ethernet

port as
> well.
>
> Other Ports:
> As for the parallel and serial ports, it is not advisable to remove

these
> while the power is on. But, if the serial port is using only the basic

RX /
> TX connections, and not anything else, then it can also be

disconnected and
> re-connected while the computer is running. As for the parallel and

serial
> ports, it is best to have everything turned off when making or

breaking
> their connections.
>
> Others:
> As for the monitor, it is best to turn everything off when making or
> breaking the connections. But, when doing so, most likely there will

be no
> damage. As for the Mouse and keyboard, since these are on a PS2 type
> connection, if you they are connected or disconnected when the power

is on,
> damage to the mother board, and these devices can easily occur.
>
> --
>
> Jerry G.
> ======
>

> "Emrys Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I seem to dimly remember from my tuition on a course that it is safe

> > connect or unconnect a USB connector to|from its port without

closing
> > down the computer and I am seeking confirmation of that fact.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Emrys Davies.

Toolman Tim

"willshak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On 11/20/2004 9:46 AM US(ET), Emrys Davies took fingers to keys, and
| typed the following:
|
| >I seem to dimly remember from my tuition on a course that it is safe to
| >connect or unconnect a USB connector to|from its port without closing
| >down the computer and I am seeking confirmation of that fact.
| >
| >Thanks,
| >Emrys Davies.
| >
| I have no problem connecting and disconnecting USB cables from my XP
| Home computer while it is running. As a matter of fact, I have to do it
| constantly with my graphics tablet's USB 2 plug whenever the computer
| comes back on from Standby mode. After coming back, the tablet's power
| is not restored and I have to remove the USB cable and plug it back in,
| which then turns on the tablet.

I get that with my Logitech wireless mouse sometimes too. What a pain <g>

Toolman Tim

Emrys, one more *critical* thing to remember: just because USB is
"hot-swappable" it is NOT NOT NOT a good idea to just jerk the USB cable out
of the computer. Learn about your specific device - read the manual.
Specifically, the USB hard drives, memory cards, cameras, etc., require that
you disable/remove them correctly or you could damage that data, and even
the hardware.