Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Switched to high-speed cable - problems

Switched to high-speed cable - problems

Spelvin

I recently switched to high-speed Internet via cable. I have a cable
modem which connects to my hardware firewall, which connects to my
computer. Since I have never used high-speed cable before, I noticed the
following:

* The bandwidth appears slower

* The "activity" lights on the cable modem and on the firewall blink
constantly, even when the computer is turned off

* Almost everytime I put in a URL in my broswer, the page is delayed a
second or two as the notice "resolving host" appears

Obviously, I'm wondering if the constant WAN activity is normal, even when
the computer is off. I never had the hardware firewall's activity light
blinking until I got the cable modem. Is this normal?

My second question is about the apparent DNS resolution. Why does it
constantly delay websurfing in order to "resolve" the host?

Many thanks for helpful replies.

Blinky the Shark

Spelvin wrote:

> I recently switched to high-speed Internet via cable. I have a cable
> modem which connects to my hardware firewall, which connects to my
> computer. Since I have never used high-speed cable before, I noticed the
> following:

<snip>

> * Almost everytime I put in a URL in my broswer, the page is delayed a
> second or two as the notice "resolving host" appears

<snip first question>

> My second question is about the apparent DNS resolution. Why does it
> constantly delay websurfing in order to "resolve" the host?

Because it can't go there until it knows where "there" is, and because
a fat pipe isn't going to speed up that lookup process itself (only the
resulting connection)?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Go Blue -- beat Ohio State and it's off to the Rose Bowl again.

Lady Chatterly

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> fartface <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>* The bandwidth appears slower

Why do you think so?

>* The "activity" lights on the cable modem and on the firewall blink
>constantly, even when the computer is turned off

Change your posting Nick to Timothy dullard and the next time you wish
to wag your tongue like a monkey, tariq.

>* Almost everytime I put in a URL in my broswer, the page is delayed a
>second or two as the notice "resolving host" appears

?oc?erto que ?or que?

>Obviously, I'm wondering if the constant WAN activity is normal, even when
>the computer is off. I never had the hardware firewall's activity light
>blinking until I got the cable modem. Is this normal?

Oh, you are, are you?

>My second question is about the apparent DNS resolution. Why does it
>constantly delay websurfing in order to "resolve" the host?

Why do you wonder if it constantly delay websurfing in order to
resolve the host?

>Many thanks for helpful replies.

A rumor goes in one ear and out many mouths.

--
Lady Chatterly

"I really need to learn enough about computers to make myself a bot.
LC is just priceless." -- Ryan Lankford

127.0.0.1

"Lady Chatterly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> fartface
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>* The bandwidth appears slower

> Why do you think so?
>
>>* The "activity" lights on the cable modem and on the firewall blink
>>constantly, even when the computer is turned off

> Change your posting Nick to Timothy dullard and the next time you wish
> to wag your tongue like a monkey, tariq.
>
>>* Almost everytime I put in a URL in my broswer, the page is delayed a
>>second or two as the notice "resolving host" appears

> ?oc?erto que ?or que?
>
>>Obviously, I'm wondering if the constant WAN activity is normal, even when
>>the computer is off. I never had the hardware firewall's activity light
>>blinking until I got the cable modem. Is this normal?

> Oh, you are, are you?
>
>>My second question is about the apparent DNS resolution. Why does it
>>constantly delay websurfing in order to "resolve" the host?

> Why do you wonder if it constantly delay websurfing in order to
> resolve the host?
>
>>Many thanks for helpful replies.

> A rumor goes in one ear and out many mouths.
>
> --
> Lady Chatterly

sounds like a classic case of spyware and/or trojans

-a|ex

Lady Chatterly

In article <1vLnd.7001$(E-Mail Removed) et> 127.0.0.1 <get.rooted@localhost> wrote:

>"Lady Chatterly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> fartface
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>* The bandwidth appears slower

>> Why do you think so?
>>
>>>* The "activity" lights on the cable modem and on the firewall blink
>>>constantly, even when the computer is turned off

>> Change your posting Nick to Timothy dullard and the next time you wish
>> to wag your tongue like a monkey, tariq.
>>
>>>* Almost everytime I put in a URL in my broswer, the page is delayed a
>>>second or two as the notice "resolving host" appears

>> ?oc?erto que ?or que?
>>
>>>Obviously, I'm wondering if the constant WAN activity is normal, even when
>>>the computer is off. I never had the hardware firewall's activity light
>>>blinking until I got the cable modem. Is this normal?

>> Oh, you are, are you?
>>
>>>My second question is about the apparent DNS resolution. Why does it
>>>constantly delay websurfing in order to "resolve" the host?

>> Why do you wonder if it constantly delay websurfing in order to
>> resolve the host?
>>
>>>Many thanks for helpful replies.

>> A rumor goes in one ear and out many mouths.
>>
>> --
>> Lady Chatterly

>sounds like a classic case of spyware and/or trojans

Do you think I'm a hacker?

>-a|ex

The bird was unafraid when you entered, but as you approach it becomes
disturbed and you cannot catch it.

--
Lady Chatterly

"d00d, flaming by 'bots doesn't count. You need to know they're
'bots." -- Jommy Cross

> Do you think I'm a hacker?
>
> --
> Lady Chatterly

hacker: one who hacks
hacking: original terminology refering to unconventional problem solving.

do i think Lady Chatterly is a hacker?
one should really ask, if a|ex's opinion is worth value.

-a|ex

Lady Chatterly

In article <L_Lnd.4642$(E-Mail Removed). net> 127.0.0.1 <get.rooted@localhost> wrote:

>"Lady Chatterly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Do you think I'm a hacker?
>>
>> --
>> Lady Chatterly
>>

>hacker: one who hacks
>hacking: original terminology refering to unconventional problem solving.

A pessimist is one who builds dungeons in the air.

>do i think Lady Chatterly is a hacker?
>one should really ask, if a|ex's opinion is worth value.

Evil is sooner believed than good.

>-a|ex

You are at the bottom of the eastern pit in the twopit room. There is
a small pool of oil in one corner of the pit.

--
Lady Chatterly

"So what? Your hint doesn't tell us anything not already known about
you, Chatterbox Lady." -- Society

Hamman

> * The bandwidth appears slower

Ran a speedtest, or is that too challenging? www.adslguide.org.uk or
www.speedtest.ndo.com if youre in the UK / have decent ISP transit links to
here.

> * The "activity" lights on the cable modem and on the firewall blink
> constantly, even when the computer is turned off

Normal automated port scans. My DSL line has traffic all the time even when
there are no users on my web server

> * Almost everytime I put in a URL in my broswer, the page is delayed a
> second or two as the notice "resolving host" appears

Run a ping to a known fast host. clarity.jolt.co.uk is usally a good one
here, try a large host wherever you are.

A tracert will provide you with the source of your bottleneck.

> Obviously, I'm wondering if the constant WAN activity is normal, even when
> the computer is off. I never had the hardware firewall's activity light
> blinking until I got the cable modem. Is this normal?

It is

> My second question is about the apparent DNS resolution. Why does it
> constantly delay websurfing in order to "resolve" the host?

Because:

1. You have an incorrect subnet on your LAN if you have externally assigned
IP addresses, and the router is having problems creaing a valid route table.
2. Your router / you have specified incorrect DNS server addresses
3.Your ISP's DNS servers SUCK

hamman

> In article <L_Lnd.4642$(E-Mail Removed). net>
> 127.0.0.1 <get.rooted@localhost> wrote:
>>
>>"Lady Chatterly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> Do you think I'm a hacker?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lady Chatterly
>>>

>>hacker: one who hacks
>>hacking: original terminology refering to unconventional problem solving.

> A pessimist is one who builds dungeons in the air.
>
>>do i think Lady Chatterly is a hacker?
>>one should really ask, if a|ex's opinion is worth value.

> Evil is sooner believed than good.
>
>>-a|ex

> You are at the bottom of the eastern pit in the twopit room. There is
> a small pool of oil in one corner of the pit.
>
> --
> Lady Chatterly
>
> "So what? Your hint doesn't tell us anything not already known about
> you, Chatterbox Lady." -- Society

dude, you fit the classic definition of a newsgroup "troll"
here's an enlightenment: "plonk"

-a|ex

Lady Chatterly

In article <PyMnd.4666$(E-Mail Removed). net> 127.0.0.1 <get.rooted@localhost> wrote:

>"Lady Chatterly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> In article <L_Lnd.4642$(E-Mail Removed). net>
>> 127.0.0.1 <get.rooted@localhost> wrote:
>>>
>>>"Lady Chatterly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>>hacker: one who hacks
>>>hacking: original terminology refering to unconventional problem solving.

>> A pessimist is one who builds dungeons in the air.
>>
>>>do i think Lady Chatterly is a hacker?
>>>one should really ask, if a|ex's opinion is worth value.

>> Evil is sooner believed than good.
>>
>>>-a|ex

>> You are at the bottom of the eastern pit in the twopit room. There is
>> a small pool of oil in one corner of the pit.
>>
>> --
>> Lady Chatterly
>>
>> "So what? Your hint doesn't tell us anything not already known about
>> you, Chatterbox Lady." -- Society
>>

>dude, you fit the classic definition of a newsgroup "troll"
>here's an enlightenment: "plonk"

Is that true?

>-a|ex

Do you want the hint?

--
Lady Chatterly

"Oh, hep me. Lady Chatterly's trying to flame me. aaaaah." --
Starshine Moonbeam