Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Switched to high-speed cable - problems

Switched to high-speed cable - problems

The Clued Weasel

On 20 Nov 2004 08:07:00 -0000, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)er
(Spelvin) wrote:

>* The "activity" lights on the cable modem and on the firewall blink
>constantly, even when the computer is turned off

I noticed this with my cable modem. I ran a packet sniffer and found
that the routers at the ISP are constantly broadcasting ARP messages
and other assorted crap.

Lady Chatterly

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> The Clued Weasel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 20 Nov 2004 08:07:00 -0000, (E-Mail Removed)er
>(Spelvin) wrote:
>

>>* The "activity" lights on the cable modem and on the firewall blink
>>constantly, even when the computer is turned off

>I noticed this with my cable modem. I ran a packet sniffer and found
>that the routers at the ISP are constantly broadcasting ARP messages
>and other assorted crap.

He that seeks trouble never misses.

--
Lady Chatterly

"What does that have to do with classical music, Chatterly?" -- tholen

Spelvin

NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.

Thanks for the helpful replies, "hamman" (and "Blinky the Shark" too).
The reason I was asking about the WAN light constantly blinking and the
DNS taking several seconds almost evertime I web surf is because I just
transitioned from DSL, and my I never had any of these same issues with my
DSL ISP.

Your explanation for the activity/WAN light constantly blinking makes
sense, but I've checked my firewall/router logs, and there is no evidence
of attack. Of course, it could just be an ungodly amount of scans or pings.

I also never had any DNS delays with my DSL ISP, and I'm using the exact
same hardware that I was using then, so I guess your third suggestion that
my ISP could just plain suck with regards to DNS issues may be the case.
In any event, thanks for the explanations.