Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Upgrade Windows on laptop via wireless network

Upgrade Windows on laptop via wireless network

shart41

Looking to upgrade this weekend an older Pentium 133 laptop currently with
Win 95 to Win 98SE. The laptop does not have a CD drive, but it is running
fine on my home wireless network which includes an XP machine with CD.

How should I utilize the laptop on the network in getting the Win 98SE files
I need via CD for upgrade transferred to it?

Thanks

RobD.

Whoah. Good question. You can't, not easily anyway. The laptop will require
the drive at boot, when you don't have network drivers loaded. I -think-
anyway. . . if you want to try it, backup your laptop's drive entirely
(preferably using image software), then share your cd drive on the xp
machine, access the drive using your laptop and run the setup file. . . i
think there's too many possibilities of problems, but there's a chance it
will work.

--
--The Computer Doctors
Serving Southern New England
"shart41" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looking to upgrade this weekend an older Pentium 133 laptop currently with
> Win 95 to Win 98SE. The laptop does not have a CD drive, but it is running
> fine on my home wireless network which includes an XP machine with CD.
>
> How should I utilize the laptop on the network in getting the Win 98SE
> files I need via CD for upgrade transferred to it?
>
> Thanks

Toolman Tim

"shart41" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Looking to upgrade this weekend an older Pentium 133 laptop currently with
| Win 95 to Win 98SE. The laptop does not have a CD drive, but it is running
| fine on my home wireless network which includes an XP machine with CD.
|
| How should I utilize the laptop on the network in getting the Win 98SE
files
| I need via CD for upgrade transferred to it?
|
| Thanks

Actually, it's quite simple. But, first, do you want to run this as an
*upgrade* or do you want to clean the drive and start with a new install?

As an upgrade, you can create a new folder on your laptop - C:\setup98 or
something like that. Then set up sharing for your CD_ROM on the XP machine.
Put the CD in the drive, copy the contents of the CD's folder "win98" to
your new setup folder on the laptop. When the files are copied, run the
setup program in the new folder.

If you want a clean start, put the files on your laptop drive just like
above, then delete the *entire* windows folder on the laptop (at a C:\
prompt, type deltree windows and press enter - this will take a LONG time).
Then run the setup program in the new folder. Personally, when I do this, I
delete EVERY folder on the hard drive except my new setup folder, and even
everything in the root.