Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP License

XP License

Gus Noon

I have a win home edition sticker with the xp serial number on it it also
says for NEC machines can I use it on a non NEC machine

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Fri,
19 Nov 2004 23:53:30 -0000, "Gus Noon" <(E-Mail Removed)>
screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

>I have a win home edition sticker with the xp serial number on it it also
>says for NEC machines can I use it on a non NEC machine

No.

Jim Berwick

"Gus Noon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:cnm0vd$gir$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a win home edition sticker with the xp serial number on it it
> also says for NEC machines can I use it on a non NEC machine

Technically speaking, yes.
Legally speaking, No.

RobD.

NEC has an OEM license arrangment with M$, this is what the "for NEC" phrase
on the sticker is for. It identifies the OEM.

--
--The Computer Doctors
Serving Southern New England
"Gus Noon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cnm0vd$gir$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a win home edition sticker with the xp serial number on it it also
>says for NEC machines can I use it on a non NEC machine

RobD.

right to a technical knock-out when you activate

--
"Jim Berwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Gus Noon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:cnm0vd$gir$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I have a win home edition sticker with the xp serial number on it it
>> also says for NEC machines can I use it on a non NEC machine
>>

> Technically speaking, yes.
> Legally speaking, No.

doS

What an idiot...

"RobD." <%(E-Mail Removed)%> wrote in message
> right to a technical knock-out when you activate
>
> --
> --The Computer Doctors
> Serving Southern New England
> 401-816-0393
> %(E-Mail Removed)% remove the %'s
> "Jim Berwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > "Gus Noon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:cnm0vd$gir$(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> >> I have a win home edition sticker with the xp serial number on it it
> >> also says for NEC machines can I use it on a non NEC machine
> >>

> > Technically speaking, yes.
> > Legally speaking, No.

JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION

This is what we posted regarding a similar issue at the Dell group

Hello,

What you have is a OEM copy of Windows XP from Dell.

This CD will install XP on any computer provided you have the COA (Little
sticker that is attached to the Dell Computer that it came with)

The thing about the OEM software is that individuals looking to buy a LEGAL
copy of XP are better off buying OEM as you can get it much cheaper versus
the full retail price

Full Retail approx - $198.00
OEM - $59 to $79.00

OEM sales are legal as long as they are sold with a qualifying piece of
hardware (harddrive, etc) AND the COA that was attached to the original
computer.

The original installation of the OEM software has to be removed from the
original system, etc.

Do a search on Ebay (Ebay stores too) for XP HOME and you will find several
copies being LEGALLY sold for MUCH cheaper than the retail jacked up price.

--
JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION
Technical Support Team

Visit our forums for FREE technical support and other discussions at
http://jlaenterprises.ath.cx/phpbb2/index.php

Check out some of the items we are offering
Dell Laptop Docking Stations starting at $5.00
Dell 20" Sony Trinitron Flat Screen Monitors starting at $35.00
Dell 21" Flat Screen Monitors starting at $40.00
Dell Latitude and Inspiron CD Rom and Floppy Drives starting at $5.00

Be sure to visit http://www.jlaenterprises.com

"Gus Noon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cnm0vd$gir$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a win home edition sticker with the xp serial number on it it also
>says for NEC machines can I use it on a non NEC machine

Toolman Tim

Hogwash. The OEM Windows XP CD will *not* install on a non-Dell computer, no
matter what COA you have. The Dell CD will look for the Dell tatoo in the
hardware, and not finding it on non-Dell computers, will give you a message
telling you that you can't install it. So you'd better be careful what you
tell your Dell friends out there...

"JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:FhInd.14926$(E-Mail Removed) om...
| This is what we posted regarding a similar issue at the Dell group
|
| Hello,
|
| What you have is a OEM copy of Windows XP from Dell.
|
| This CD will install XP on any computer provided you have the COA (Little
| sticker that is attached to the Dell Computer that it came with)
|
| The thing about the OEM software is that individuals looking to buy a
LEGAL
| copy of XP are better off buying OEM as you can get it much cheaper versus
| the full retail price
|
| Full Retail approx - $198.00
| OEM - $59 to $79.00
|
| OEM sales are legal as long as they are sold with a qualifying piece of
| hardware (harddrive, etc) AND the COA that was attached to the original
| computer.
|
| The original installation of the OEM software has to be removed from the
| original system, etc.
|
| Do a search on Ebay (Ebay stores too) for XP HOME and you will find
several
| copies being LEGALLY sold for MUCH cheaper than the retail jacked up
price.

<inappropriate advertising crap snipped>

| "Gus Noon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:cnm0vd$gir$(E-Mail Removed)...
| >I have a win home edition sticker with the xp serial number on it it also
| >says for NEC machines can I use it on a non NEC machine

doS

Eh....if its just an OEM version of windows, yes it will, if its a ghost
type image, then no...

news:B1Mnd.83$(E-Mail Removed)-media.com...
> Hogwash. The OEM Windows XP CD will *not* install on a non-Dell computer,

no
> matter what COA you have. The Dell CD will look for the Dell tatoo in the
> hardware, and not finding it on non-Dell computers, will give you a

message
> telling you that you can't install it. So you'd better be careful what you
> tell your Dell friends out there...
>
> "JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in message news:FhInd.14926$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> | This is what we posted regarding a similar issue at the Dell group
> |
> | Hello,
> |
> | What you have is a OEM copy of Windows XP from Dell.
> |
> | This CD will install XP on any computer provided you have the COA

(Little
> | sticker that is attached to the Dell Computer that it came with)
> |
> | The thing about the OEM software is that individuals looking to buy a
> LEGAL
> | copy of XP are better off buying OEM as you can get it much cheaper

versus
> | the full retail price
> |
> | Full Retail approx - $198.00
> | OEM - $59 to $79.00
> |
> | OEM sales are legal as long as they are sold with a qualifying piece of
> | hardware (harddrive, etc) AND the COA that was attached to the original
> | computer.
> |
> | The original installation of the OEM software has to be removed from the
> | original system, etc.
> |
> | Do a search on Ebay (Ebay stores too) for XP HOME and you will find
> several
> | copies being LEGALLY sold for MUCH cheaper than the retail jacked up
> price.
> |

> <inappropriate advertising crap snipped>
>
> | "Gus Noon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:cnm0vd$gir$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | >I have a win home edition sticker with the xp serial number on it it

also
> | >says for NEC machines can I use it on a non NEC machine

Toolman Tim

Not with DELL. *DELL* makes a *CUSTOM* Dell-only CD that will ONLY install
on a *DELL* computer. It is possible that other vendors do as well, but I
don't have any yet that have that problem. But DELL has their very own
masters and make their own CDs and they are modified by MS and Dell so that
they DO NOT install on non-Dell computers. Savvy?

"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rVMnd.554$(E-Mail Removed)-media.com...
| Eh....if its just an OEM version of windows, yes it will, if its a ghost
| type image, then no...
|
| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:B1Mnd.83$(E-Mail Removed)-media.com...
| > Hogwash. The OEM Windows XP CD will *not* install on a non-Dell
computer,
| no
| > matter what COA you have. The Dell CD will look for the Dell tatoo in
the
| > hardware, and not finding it on non-Dell computers, will give you a
| message
| > telling you that you can't install it. So you'd better be careful what
you
| > tell your Dell friends out there...
| >
| > "JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote
| > in message news:FhInd.14926$(E-Mail Removed) om...
| > | This is what we posted regarding a similar issue at the Dell group
| > |
| > | Hello,
| > |
| > | What you have is a OEM copy of Windows XP from Dell.
| > |
| > | This CD will install XP on any computer provided you have the COA
| (Little
| > | sticker that is attached to the Dell Computer that it came with)
| > |
| > | The thing about the OEM software is that individuals looking to buy a
| > LEGAL
| > | copy of XP are better off buying OEM as you can get it much cheaper
| versus
| > | the full retail price
| > |
| > | Full Retail approx - $198.00
| > | OEM - $59 to $79.00
| > |
| > | OEM sales are legal as long as they are sold with a qualifying piece
of
| > | hardware (harddrive, etc) AND the COA that was attached to the
original
| > | computer.
| > |
| > | The original installation of the OEM software has to be removed from
the
| > | original system, etc.
| > |
| > | Do a search on Ebay (Ebay stores too) for XP HOME and you will find
| > several
| > | copies being LEGALLY sold for MUCH cheaper than the retail jacked up
| > price.
| > |