Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > What is VS Doing to my Code???

What is VS Doing to my Code???

downs.matt@gmail.com

Hello!
I'm working on an ASP/VB.NET application that was originally developed
on the .NET 1.0 Framework. It was recently converted to run on the 1.1

Framework. The application compiles and runs fine after the
conversion, UNTIL I try to modify the GUI.

Basically, I am unable to modify any properties of the GUI components.
(It simply does not make the changes).

The MAJOR problem is that when I attempt to make any modification, VS
changes most of the components from "Protected Friend WithEvents" to
simply "Protected WithEvents". This causes build errors since these
components are inherited and modified in another file. I can manually
change them back to Friend components, but then some components do not
behave properly in the program. (i.e. buttons don't work, labels don't
change, etc.)

Here is a code example of what occurs:

Original Code:
Public MustInherit Class singledie
Inherits System.Web.UI.UserControl
Protected Friend WithEvents fraGauges As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Pane**l
Protected Friend WithEvents grdGauges As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Data**Grid
Protected Friend WithEvents lblOldDistance As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Labe**l
Protected Friend WithEvents lblOldVoid As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Labe**l

After Attempted Modification to GUI:
Public MustInherit Class singledie
Inherits System.Web.UI.UserControl
Protected WithEvents fraGauges As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Pane**l

Protected WithEvents grdGauges As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Data**Grid
Protected WithEvents lblOldDistance As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Labe**l
Protected WithEvents lblOldVoid As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Labe**l

I'm thinking this is due to the Upgrade from Framework 1.0 to Framework

1.1. Could it simply be a default setting in VS .NET 2003 that i need
to change?

Thanks!
~Matt

Matt

Well, I loaded the app into .NET '02 with Framework version 1.0, and it
did not exhibit the same behavior, so i know it has SOMEthing to do
with the "upgrade".

Does ANYONE out there know how to deal with these kinds of upgrade
issues?