Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > OT (kinda): Watch your domain name!!

OT (kinda): Watch your domain name!!

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

Today, I've been hit with a deluge of transfer requests for various domain
names that I manage. Almost all of them are coming from the Domain Registry
of America.

I believe they are taking advantage of ICANN's new policy regarding domain
name transfer requests, as outlined in this article:

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...me_easier.html

Basically, if you don't specifically say "no, don't transfer me!" - it will
automatically go through in 5 days.

1. Make absolutely sure that your correct email address is listed on your
domain name record. Don't assume you do and don't rely on someone else to do
it for you. CHECK IT NOW.

2. Make sure you reply to ANY transfer request you may get. Don't assume its
spam and don't ignore it!

3. Lock your domains. If you don't have access to do this, ask your
registrar to do it for you.

Please, everyone, be careful and be proactive when it comes to protecting
your domain name!

--Tina

--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Managed, Dedicated and Colo Servers
http://www.AxisHost.com - High bandwidth Cpanel Hosting Accounts

EricP

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:33:10 -0500, "Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Today, I've been hit with a deluge of transfer requests for various domain
>names that I manage. Almost all of them are coming from the Domain Registry
>of America.
>
>I believe they are taking advantage of ICANN's new policy regarding domain
>name transfer requests, as outlined in this article:
>
>http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...me_easier.html
>
>Basically, if you don't specifically say "no, don't transfer me!" - it will
>automatically go through in 5 days.
>
>1. Make absolutely sure that your correct email address is listed on your
>domain name record. Don't assume you do and don't rely on someone else to do
>it for you. CHECK IT NOW.
>
>2. Make sure you reply to ANY transfer request you may get. Don't assume its
>spam and don't ignore it!
>
>3. Lock your domains. If you don't have access to do this, ask your
>registrar to do it for you.
>
>Please, everyone, be careful and be proactive when it comes to protecting
>your domain name!
>
>--Tina

Looks like legalised robbery to me.

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

"EricP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:33:10 -0500, "Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Today, I've been hit with a deluge of transfer requests for various domain
>>names that I manage. Almost all of them are coming from the Domain
>>Registry
>>of America.
>>
>>I believe they are taking advantage of ICANN's new policy regarding domain
>>name transfer requests, as outlined in this article:
>>
>>http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...me_easier.html
>>
>>Basically, if you don't specifically say "no, don't transfer me!" - it
>>will
>>automatically go through in 5 days.
>>
>>1. Make absolutely sure that your correct email address is listed on your
>>domain name record. Don't assume you do and don't rely on someone else to
>>do
>>it for you. CHECK IT NOW.
>>
>>2. Make sure you reply to ANY transfer request you may get. Don't assume
>>its
>>spam and don't ignore it!
>>
>>3. Lock your domains. If you don't have access to do this, ask your
>>registrar to do it for you.
>>
>>Please, everyone, be careful and be proactive when it comes to protecting
>>your domain name!
>>
>>--Tina

> Looks like legalised robbery to me.

I have a feeling that ALOT of people are going to be losing their domain
names. This could mean a huge shake-up in the domain industry. If an
unscrupulous registration provider takes advantage of the 'no reply,
auto-transfer' rule and then changes the domain contact information to
themselves, they can pretty much do whatever they want with that domain
name.

EVERYONE - BE CAREFUL! LOCK YOUR DOMAINS!

--Tina
--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Managed, Dedicated and Colo Servers
http://www.AxisHost.com - High bandwidth Cpanel Hosting Accounts
Datacenter located in Grand Rapids, Michigan
Serving the web since 1997

James Mourby

"Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Today, I've been hit with a deluge of transfer requests for various domain
> names that I manage. Almost all of them are coming from the Domain
> Registry
> of America.
>
> I believe they are taking advantage of ICANN's new policy regarding domain
> name transfer requests, as outlined in this article:
>
> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...me_easier.html
>
> Basically, if you don't specifically say "no, don't transfer me!" - it
> will
> automatically go through in 5 days.
>
> 1. Make absolutely sure that your correct email address is listed on your
> domain name record. Don't assume you do and don't rely on someone else to
> do
> it for you. CHECK IT NOW.
>
> 2. Make sure you reply to ANY transfer request you may get. Don't assume
> its
> spam and don't ignore it!
>
> 3. Lock your domains. If you don't have access to do this, ask your
> registrar to do it for you.
>
> Please, everyone, be careful and be proactive when it comes to protecting
> your domain name!
>
> --Tina
>

> --
> http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Managed, Dedicated and Colo Servers
> http://www.AxisHost.com - High bandwidth Cpanel Hosting Accounts
> Datacenter located in Grand Rapids, Michigan
> Serving the web since 1997

I guess that means no more week long holidays away from home then!
Requested on monday, by the time you get back..... the domains gone!

Thom

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Today, I've been hit with a deluge of transfer requests for various
> domain names that I manage.

Via?

> Almost all of them are coming from the
> Domain Registry of America.

In what form? Email, phone calls, faxes?

> I believe they are taking advantage of ICANN's new policy regarding
> domain name transfer requests, as outlined in this article:
>
> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...me_easier.html
>
> Basically, if you don't specifically say "no, don't transfer me!" -
> it will automatically go through in 5 days.

First of all, if you read it, it says;

<Quote>
"Failure by the Registrar of Record to respond within five (5) calendar days
to a notification from the Registry regarding a transfer request will result
in a default 'approval' of the transfer," the new rules state."
</Quote>
The way I read the above? It's up to the "Registrar of record" (ie. YOU)
not your customer, to repond in a timely fashion. No?

Secondly? All six of my domains are registered with GoDaddy, and I've
received no such correspondence, nor any warnings.

Third? How could anyone get my domain registration information (email,
address, phone number) if it hadn't been supplied by my registrar?

> Be absolutely sure that your correct email address is listed on
> your domain name record. Don't assume you do and don't rely on
> someone else to do it for you. CHECK IT NOW.

GoDaddy handles my domains in the form of "anonymous registrations". And IF
there's a problem with any of my domains being hijacked? I'll assume I'd
have legal recourse against them. NOBODY other than my host needs (nor
should they KNOW) my "real" information.

> 2. Make sure you reply to ANY transfer request you may get. Don't
> assume its spam and don't ignore it!

IF it comes from GoDaddy, and arrives at a phone number/snailmail/email
address only GoDaddy knows? I'll be sure to follow up. Thanks.

> 3. Lock your domains. If you don't have access to do this, ask your
> registrar to do it for you.

Done. By contract, I'm all set for the next three (out of five) years with
GoDaddy.

> Please, everyone, be careful and be proactive when it comes to
> protecting your domain name!

Why do I think this post wasn't much more than an attempt to get a company
name out there?

YMMV, of course.

Thom

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

"Thom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Today, I've been hit with a deluge of transfer requests for various
>> domain names that I manage.

> Via?

Email.

>> Basically, if you don't specifically say "no, don't transfer me!" -
>> it will automatically go through in 5 days.

> First of all, if you read it, it says;
>
> <Quote>
> "Failure by the Registrar of Record to respond within five (5) calendar
> days to a notification from the Registry regarding a transfer request will
> result in a default 'approval' of the transfer," the new rules state."
> </Quote>
> The way I read the above? It's up to the "Registrar of record" (ie. YOU)
> not your customer, to repond in a timely fashion. No?

"The changes could mean trouble for domain owners who don't closely manage
their records. Registrars are warning that domains with incorrect e-mail
addresses and outdated administrative contact information could be at
particular risk, as the domain's WHOIS database information will be used to
inform domain owners of transfer requests."

Basically, if you don't say "no" and your registrar doesn't say
"no"...you're screwed. Do you really want to depend on your registrar to
make sure your domain doesn't get transferred?

> Secondly? All six of my domains are registered with GoDaddy, and I've
> received no such correspondence, nor any warnings.

Maybe its time to look for a new registrar. One that actually keeps its
customers up-to-date with important news and information?

> Third? How could anyone get my domain registration information (email,
> address, phone number) if it hadn't been supplied by my registrar?

WHOIS registry. Doesn't matter if the email address is correct or hidden.
All you need for a domain transfer request is to submit the domain name.

> GoDaddy handles my domains in the form of "anonymous registrations". And
> IF there's a problem with any of my domains being hijacked? I'll assume
> I'd have legal recourse against them. NOBODY other than my host needs
> (nor should they KNOW) my "real" information.

Again, you don't need to know your information - all you need to know is
your domain name. So, you'd rather that I not warn people about this...but,
rather, just figure "if they run into trouble, they can always hire an
attorney and seek legal recourse." Nice.

>> 2. Make sure you reply to ANY transfer request you may get. Don't
>> assume its spam and don't ignore it!

> IF it comes from GoDaddy, and arrives at a phone number/snailmail/email
> address only GoDaddy knows? I'll be sure to follow up. Thanks.

It won't come from Godaddy. It will come from the "gaining" registrar.

> Why do I think this post wasn't much more than an attempt to get a company
> name out there?

I can think of much more effective and efficient ways to "get my company
name out there" than posting in usenet. Spending time writing the post,
following up on it, replying to you, etc. is NOT a cost-effective way to
gain new clients and we're certainly not desperate for customers.

However, its certainly acceptable to include a short .sig file in usenet
posts. If you don't like it, use a filter to cut them out or don't read
anything past my name.

--Tina
--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Managed, Dedicated and Colo Servers
http://www.AxisHost.com - High bandwidth Cpanel Hosting Accounts
Datacenter located in Grand Rapids, Michigan
Serving the web since 1997

Blinky the Shark

Thom wrote:

> Secondly? All six of my domains are registered with GoDaddy, and I've
> received no such correspondence, nor any warnings.

If by "warning", you include a general warning about the rule change: I
got a warning from GoDaddy, early last week, three-ish days before the
change in rules was to become effective, recommending that I lock down
my domains if they weren't already locked.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Go Blue -- beat Ohio State and it's off to the Rose Bowl again.

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Thom wrote:
>
>> Secondly? All six of my domains are registered with GoDaddy, and I've
>> received no such correspondence, nor any warnings.

> If by "warning", you include a general warning about the rule change: I
> got a warning from GoDaddy, early last week, three-ish days before the
> change in rules was to become effective, recommending that I lock down
> my domains if they weren't already locked.

Yeah, I thought I heard that GoDaddy sent out a warning. Not being a
GoDaddy customer, I wasn't sure. We actually register domains through a
couple of different registrars and one sent out a warning and one didn't. I
think most registrars are erring on the side of caution and taking the time
to warn their customers. Its in their best interest to make sure their
customers' domains don't get hijacked!

--Tina
--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Managed, Dedicated and Colo Servers
http://www.AxisHost.com - High bandwidth Cpanel Hosting Accounts
Datacenter located in Grand Rapids, Michigan
Serving the web since 1997

Thom

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Thom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Today, I've been hit with a deluge of transfer requests for various
>>> domain names that I manage.

>> Via?

> Email.
>
>>> Basically, if you don't specifically say "no, don't transfer me!" -
>>> it will automatically go through in 5 days.

>> First of all, if you read it, it says;
>>
>> <Quote>
>> "Failure by the Registrar of Record to respond within five (5)
>> calendar days to a notification from the Registry regarding a
>> transfer request will result in a default 'approval' of the
>> transfer," the new rules state." </Quote>

>> The way I read the above? It's up to the "Registrar of record" (ie.
>> YOU) not your customer, to repond in a timely fashion. No?

Did you ever answer this? You're reply is so convoluted and misquoted, that
it's nearly impossible to tell.

> "The changes could mean trouble for domain owners who don't closely
> manage their records. Registrars are warning that domains with
> incorrect e-mail addresses and outdated administrative contact
> information could be at particular risk, as the domain's WHOIS
> database information will be used to inform domain owners of transfer
> requests."

This is just more from the passage *I* quoted, from the text you linked to.
It doesn't answer any of my concerns.

> Basically, if you don't say "no" and your registrar doesn't say
> "no"...you're screwed. Do you really want to depend on your
> registrar to make sure your domain doesn't get transferred?

Yes. That's what I PAID them for.

>> Secondly? All six of my domains are registered with GoDaddy, and
>> I've received no such correspondence, nor any warnings.

> Maybe its time to look for a new registrar. One that actually keeps
> its customers up-to-date with important news and information?

I'm not having any problems as yet. But being an honest individual, should
I get hijacked? I'll be one of the FIRST to complain. The last
transmission I got from GoDaddy was a link to a website they created
honoring the 'birthday' of the USMC.

>> Third? How could anyone get my domain registration information
>> (email, address, phone number) if it hadn't been supplied by my
>> registrar?

> WHOIS registry. Doesn't matter if the email address is correct or
> hidden. All you need for a domain transfer request is to submit the
> domain name.

My "WHOIS" discloses NOTHING about me other than the fact that my domains
are hosted anonymously by GoDaddy.

If someone attempts to hijack me by domain name alone? I suspect GoDaddy
would be in a world of poop if I cared, and they were to let it happen
without my knowledge. No?

>> GoDaddy handles my domains in the form of "anonymous registrations".
>> And IF there's a problem with any of my domains being hijacked? I'll
>> assume I'd have legal recourse against them. NOBODY other than
>> my host needs (nor should they KNOW) my "real" information.

> Again, you don't need to know your information - all you need to know
> is your domain name. So, you'd rather that I not warn people about
> this...but, rather, just figure "if they run into trouble, they can
> always hire an attorney and seek legal recourse." Nice.

Well yeah. If they've hired an irresposible domain registrar, who doesn't
inform them they're about to be transferred? I'd suggest they sue the pants
off 'em if it matters.

>>> 2. Make sure you reply to ANY transfer request you may get. Don't
>>> assume its spam and don't ignore it!

>> IF it comes from GoDaddy, and arrives at a phone
>> number/snailmail/email address only GoDaddy knows? I'll be sure to
>> follow up. Thanks.

> It won't come from Godaddy. It will come from the "gaining"
> registrar.

And HOW will it arrive? And HOW will this "HIJACKER" have known how to
contact me unless my registrar (GoDaddy) supplied them with my personal
information, which they agreed NOT to share with ANYONE when I registered my
domains anonymously?

>> Why do I think this post wasn't much more than an attempt to get a
>> company name out there?

> I can think of much more effective and efficient ways to "get my
> company name out there" than posting in usenet. Spending time
> writing the post, following up on it, replying to you, etc. is NOT a
> cost-effective way to gain new clients and we're certainly not
> desperate for customers.
> However, its certainly acceptable to include a short .sig file in
> usenet posts. If you don't like it, use a filter to cut them out or
> don't read anything past my name.

Like I said. YMMV. However? Your reply would do nothing to put my mind at
ease if I was hosted by your company.

> [...]

> contact me unless my registrar (GoDaddy) supplied them with my personal
> information, which they agreed NOT to share with ANYONE when I registered
> my domains anonymously?
>
>>> Why do I think this post wasn't much more than an attempt to get a
>>> company name out there?

>> I can think of much more effective and efficient ways to "get my
>> company name out there" than posting in usenet. Spending time
>> writing the post, following up on it, replying to you, etc. is NOT a
>> cost-effective way to gain new clients and we're certainly not
>> desperate for customers.
>> However, its certainly acceptable to include a short .sig file in
>> usenet posts. If you don't like it, use a filter to cut them out or
>> don't read anything past my name.

> Like I said. YMMV. However? Your reply would do nothing to put my mind
> at ease if I was hosted by your company.

Okay, I tried to educate you. I'm not inclined to beat my head against a
brick wall.

Feel free to disregard my advice and warning. Its you're perogative. As it
is, it sounds as if Godaddy would probably reject any transfer request on
your behalf. However, I would urge you to do some independant research on
how, exactly, domain transfers are processed and completed.

--Tina