Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New Computer Specs Question

New Computer Specs Question

Nik Schlein

I am interested in building a new computer. I haven't built one in several
years. My last being an AMD athalon 1.0ghz with 1gb of ram. I am thinking
about getting a P4 system this time. I have a couple of questions regarding
P4 motherboards. Please keep in mind, that I want this computer to.... kick
people, slap people, make them say DAMN, throw your grandma down the steps
type beefy crunch monster.

1) Is the P4 socket 775 truly a faster chip or just a different design then
the socket 478. And is it worth it?

2) Who is(in your opinion and why) making the best motherboards for the
properly named above CPU. I lean towards the Intel Motherboards with 925x
chipsets, but is anyone else producing a great motherboard?

3) I will be overclocking whatever system I build, and I will be purchasing
a liquid cooling kit. Most of the kits I have looked at are compatible with
a socket 478 designed CPU, do those also fit the Socket 775 if I where to go
that route?

4) How are you liking PCI express slots? Really better then AGP or should I
hold off?

5) Finally, I have always operated that the faster your hard drive the
better the OS runs. I was going to purchase a 70gb 10k RPM SATA drive for
the main drive then a 300gb second hard drive for other programs. Is this
flawed logic? I only plan on installing the OS and frequently used software
on the main(70) drive like: Office, Visual Studio, Adobe....

Thanks for all the help guys.

Blinky the Shark

Nik Schlein wrote:

> I am interested in building a new computer. I haven't built one in several

I think you got answers when you posted this earlier. Check for them.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Go Blue -- beat Ohio State and it's off to the Rose Bowl again.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Nik Schlein wrote:
>

>>I am interested in building a new computer. I haven't built one in several

> I think you got answers when you posted this earlier. Check for them.

Actually, he didn't.

In my opinion, he's way too specific about what he's already decided on
and asking about. A group specific to the products he's interested in
would probably work better.

Blinky the Shark

Rgr wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> Nik Schlein wrote:

>>>I am interested in building a new computer. I haven't built one in several

>> I think you got answers when you posted this earlier. Check for them.

> Actually, he didn't.

Well, then never mind. I thought he got a couple.

> In my opinion, he's way too specific about what he's already decided on

I thought about that, too.

> and asking about. A group specific to the products he's interested in
> would probably work better.

That's probably true.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Go Blue -- beat Ohio State and it's off to the Rose Bowl again.

Cubzilla

> 3) I will be overclocking whatever system I build, and I will be

purchasing
> a liquid cooling kit. >

Why overclock ??. It bugs me that people overclock high spec processors

I guess its a value for money thing maybe , would you reallly see a vast
improvement ?.

Regards Cub

Jim Berwick

"Cubzilla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:41985f92$0$16437$cc9e4d1f@news-
text.dial.pipex.com:

> I guess its a value for money thing maybe , would you reallly see a vast
> improvement ?.

Mostly a "look at me, my pee-pee is bigger than yours" contest.

Nik Schlein

Ok I would go to another newsgroup, but my searchs for Intel, motherboard,
motherboards netted some newsgroups, but the only english ones where either
outdated Pentium II or MMX or they are in foreign languages. If you know
where I should so then please by all means let me know

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Nik Schlein wrote:
>>

>>>I am interested in building a new computer. I haven't built one in
>>>several

>> I think you got answers when you posted this earlier. Check for them.
>>

> Actually, he didn't.
>
> In my opinion, he's way too specific about what he's already decided on
> and asking about. A group specific to the products he's interested in
> would probably work better.

Nik Schlein

I overclock because I want to. And yes its a macho thing. I don't drive a
fast car or bang chear leaders so I build computers that fly. Besides I
never went all out on a computer before. This would be my first and its a
test of my abilities, to see what I actually can do.

"Jim Berwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Cubzilla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:41985f92$0$16437$cc9e4d1f@news-
> text.dial.pipex.com:
>
>> I guess its a value for money thing maybe , would you reallly see a vast
>> improvement ?.
>>

> Mostly a "look at me, my pee-pee is bigger than yours" contest.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

First, I'd suggest getting out and banging a few cheerleaders to get
that out of your system. They're no better than a nice, professional
piece of ass or a preacher's daughter, but a guy's gotta do what a guy's
gotta do. Secondly, I can't figure out why you've decided it's got to be
an Intel processor. I've built a bunch of machines including a few
all-out types, never once wished I'd spent the extra cash for the Intel
brand name. As for overclocking, I never do it. I leave it for the guys
who can afford to and then say:

"I can't figure for the life of me why...
1. The processor died?
2. It restarts at odd times?
3. Do I get so many blue screens?"

But if none of that worries you, go for it. And there's some activity at
comp.sys.intel and alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

Nik Schlein wrote:

> I overclock because I want to. And yes its a macho thing. I don't drive a
> fast car or bang chear leaders so I build computers that fly. Besides I
> never went all out on a computer before. This would be my first and its a
> test of my abilities, to see what I actually can do.
>
> "Jim Berwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>"Cubzilla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:41985f92$0$16437$cc9e4d1f@news-
>>text.dial.pipex.com:
>>

>>>I guess its a value for money thing maybe , would you reallly see a vast
>>>improvement ?.
>>>

>>Mostly a "look at me, my pee-pee is bigger than yours" contest.

claw

Roger (with the diacrits?)
You got it.
Chip and boardmakers love overclockers.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: Nik Schlein wrote:
:
: > I overclock because I want to. And yes its a macho thing. I don't drive
: > fast car or bang chear leaders so I build computers that fly. Besides I
: > never went all out on a computer before. This would be my first and its
: > test of my abilities, to see what I actually can do.
: >
: > "Jim Berwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: > news:Xns95A236FB2179Bjimbsnipnet@207.103.26.26...
: >
: >>"Cubzilla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
: >>text.dial.pipex.com:
: >>
: >>
: >>>I guess its a value for money thing maybe , would you reallly see a
vast
: >>>improvement ?.
: >>>
: >>
: >>Mostly a "look at me, my pee-pee is bigger than yours" contest.