Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to print out directory listings of files ?

How to print out directory listings of files ?

--Ole--

I have numerous CD burns with mp3s of lectures and want to print our the dir
listing of the file names.

Is there an easy way to do this besides typing it all out ?

thanx.....'ole

---

G. Morgan

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 03:57:34 GMT "--Ole--"
used 17 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

>I have numerous CD burns with mp3s of lectures and want to print our the dir
>listing of the file names.
>
>Is there an easy way to do this besides typing it all out ?

you could open a command window and type dir *.mp3 > filelist.txt

or in Mozilla or Netscape put file:///c:/ in the address bar, navigate
to the directory and print from there.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

Unk

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 03:57:34 GMT, "--Ole--" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have numerous CD burns with mp3s of lectures and want to print our the dir
>listing of the file names.
>
>Is there an easy way to do this besides typing it all out ?
>

>thanx.....'ole

A quick and dirty way without any new software is from a DOS shell:
Click Start, Programs, DOS Prompt or click Start, Run. In the Run
box, type "command.com" without the quotes and press enter.
(Type CMD if WinXP)

Navigate your way to the directory where the files are located, and use
the DIR command to list the directory and use switches to control output.
/a shows ALL files (hidden, system, etc.) dir/a
/o (letter o, not a zero) sorts them alphabetically dir/o
/s shows subdirectories dir/s
/b bare format: Just the long filename, no size, etc. dir/b
Add the command ">list.txt" to send the output to a text file "List.txt".
(Double ">>"'s makes the DIR command append the output to an existing text file)

So if you want a list of EVERY file on the C:\Music folder sent to a text
file that you can edit, then use the following command:
dir c:\music /a/b/o/s>list.txt

By 3rd party Software:
Karen's Directory Printer
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

Print Folder Pro:
http://no-nonsense-software.com/download.html

Print It:
http://www.skylarkutilities.com/print-it/home.html

DirPrint by Wim Heirman:
http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~wheirman/
http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~wheirman/zip/dirprt40.zip

Directory printer
http://www.galcott.com/

sethra

G. Morgan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 03:57:34 GMT "--Ole--"
> used 17 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>
>>I have numerous CD burns with mp3s of lectures and want to print our
>>the dir listing of the file names.
>>
>>Is there an easy way to do this besides typing it all out ?

> you could open a command window and type dir *.mp3 > filelist.txt
>
> or in Mozilla or Netscape put file:///c:/ in the address bar, navigate
> to the directory and print from there.

Or search for "directory printer" or something similiar on your favorite
software or freeware archive. Dozens of little programs exist to do this;
find your favorite.

I'm partial to Karen's version:
http://www.karenware.com/powertools.asp

--
~sethra

--Ole--

Thanks !

"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 03:57:34 GMT "--Ole--"
> used 17 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>
> >I have numerous CD burns with mp3s of lectures and want to print our the

dir
> >listing of the file names.
> >
> >Is there an easy way to do this besides typing it all out ?

> you could open a command window and type dir *.mp3 > filelist.txt
>
> or in Mozilla or Netscape put file:///c:/ in the address bar, navigate
> to the directory and print from there.
>

> --
> -Graham
>
> Remove the 'snails' from my email

---

--Ole--

Thanx again !

"sethra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> G. Morgan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 03:57:34 GMT "--Ole--"
> > used 17 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> >
> >>I have numerous CD burns with mp3s of lectures and want to print our
> >>the dir listing of the file names.
> >>
> >>Is there an easy way to do this besides typing it all out ?

> > you could open a command window and type dir *.mp3 > filelist.txt
> >
> > or in Mozilla or Netscape put file:///c:/ in the address bar, navigate
> > to the directory and print from there.

> Or search for "directory printer" or something similiar on your favorite
> software or freeware archive. Dozens of little programs exist to do this;
> find your favorite.
>
> I'm partial to Karen's version:
> http://www.karenware.com/powertools.asp
>
> --