Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Creating a 24-bit PNG with binary transparency?

Reply
Thread Tools

Creating a 24-bit PNG with binary transparency?

 
 
Leif K-Brooks
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2006
Could someone please point me to a tool which can convert a 32-bit PNG
(24 bits of color, 8 bits of alpha channel) to a 24-bit PNG with binary
transparency? According to what I've read, this is supported by the
format and will work in IE, but I haven't been able to find any
information on how it's done.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dylan Parry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2006
Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Leif K-Brooks
finally proclaimed:

> Could someone please point me to a tool which can convert a 32-bit PNG
> (24 bits of color, 8 bits of alpha channel) to a 24-bit PNG with binary
> transparency?


I thought you could only have 24-bit with alpha transparency, and 8-bit
with binary transparency? Photoshop certainly does allow me to use
24-bit PNG files with binary transparency.

--
Dylan Parry
http://electricfreedom.org -- Where the Music Progressively Rocks!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
NullBock
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2006
I'm not familiar with PNG transparency, but if it can be done, then the
Gimp can do it. Here's the website: http://gimp.org/.

The Gimp is a free, open-source, multi-platform image editor. The
learning curve is fairly high when first starting out, but it really is
a great tool.

Walter
----
Walter Gildersleeve
Freiburg, Germany

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could
produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet,
we know that is not true." -- Robert Wilensky

__________________________________________________ ____
http://linkfrog.net
URL Shortening
Free and easy, small and green.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Higson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2006
NullBock wrote:

> I'm not familiar with PNG transparency, but if it can be done, then the
> Gimp can do it. Here's the website: http://gimp.org/.


There's plenty of the PNG standard that the GIMP can't do properly. For a
start: Indexed images with trasparency, images with more than 32-bit
colour, gamma correction.

If you want an open-source editor that can do these things, try Krita.

--
Jim


 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2006
Jim Higson wrote:

> There's plenty of the PNG standard that the GIMP can't do properly. For a
> start: Indexed images with trasparency, images with more than 32-bit
> colour, gamma correction.


GIMP can do indexed images with transparency -- just reduce the colour
depth of the image to 255 colours or less.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact

 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2006
Leif K-Brooks wrote:

> According to what I've read, this is supported by the format and will
> work in IE


Just use the Image ALpha Loader thingy.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Higson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2006
Toby Inkster wrote:

> Jim Higson wrote:
>
>> There's plenty of the PNG standard that the GIMP can't do properly. For a
>> start: Indexed images with trasparency, images with more than 32-bit
>> colour, gamma correction.

>
> GIMP can do indexed images with transparency -- just reduce the colour
> depth of the image to 255 colours or less.


Not variable transparency. At least, you can edit it if you don't mind not
being able to see what you're editing!

see this bug report:
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86627

--
Jim


 
Reply With Quote
 
Froggy Froggy is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1
 
      07-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif K-Brooks
Could someone please point me to a tool which can convert a 32-bit PNG (24 bits of color, 8 bits of alpha channel) to a 24-bit PNG with binary transparency?
Faced the same problem. If anyone is still interested, I've managed to find the tool - Pixelformer (it is basically an icon/bitmap editor). Just select RGB (24 bit) as the target format and export your image to PNG.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie: working with binary files/extract png from a binary file Jim Ruby 6 12-24-2013 08:09 AM
jsp images (img) and binary data (png) grasp06110 Java 4 12-14-2007 02:20 AM
ANN: PNG image CAPTCHA with PNG canvas available (SkimpyGimpy) aaronwmail-usenet@yahoo.com Python 0 04-18-2007 07:33 PM
creating a png file from an array reena_nagdev@rediffmail.com Java 1 03-17-2006 02:03 AM
Howto Extract PNG from binary file @ 0x80? flamesrock Python 7 01-04-2005 02:23 AM



Advertisments