Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DSO Exploit

DSO Exploit

Ken Doughty

Hi - this particular nasty is a well known one and on my machine
re-appears immediately. Some months ago I looked at solutions posted on
the web and was put off by the blurred instructions for Registry
changes.
I would also appreciate any info on this.

Thanks

In message <DcNld.7951$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gerald
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

--
Ken

Toolman Tim

It isn't really an issue - I clipped the following from Spybot's FAQs:

Why does DSO Exploit return?
DSO-Exploit is a security gap in Internet Explorer, Outlook and Outlook
Express. Microsoft did already close this gap with security updates, so with
current Windows updates and patches installed, it will no longer be a threat
to your system.
Spybot-S&D will still detect the DSO-Exploit, but instead of fixing it for
good, it will unfortunately again set an invalid value. Therefore it will
again be found with every scan. This little bug in Spybot-S&D has already
been repaired and the respective fix will soon be available as a program
update.

"Ken Doughty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hi - this particular nasty is a well known one and on my machine
| re-appears immediately. Some months ago I looked at solutions posted on
| the web and was put off by the blurred instructions for Registry
| changes.
| I would also appreciate any info on this.
|
| Thanks
|

| In message <DcNld.7951$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gerald
| <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
| >I use Spybot search and destroy v.1.0, and it found 5 DSO exploit
entries.
| >they are all data source object exploits, registry changes, and the
problem
| >starts with hkey_users\s-1-5-18..., hkey_users\s-1-5-19...;
| >hkey_users\s-1-5-21...; hkey_users\s-1-5-20...; and hkey_users\default...
| >they all have to do with internet settings as well. is it safe to delete
| >them? sorry if its too much or too little information, it is the first
time
| >I've ever posted on a newsgroup.
| >
| >thanks!
| >

| --
| Ken

Gerald

I use Spybot search and destroy v.1.0, and it found 5 DSO exploit entries.
they are all data source object exploits, registry changes, and the problem
starts with hkey_users\s-1-5-18..., hkey_users\s-1-5-19...;
hkey_users\s-1-5-21...; hkey_users\s-1-5-20...; and hkey_users\default...
they all have to do with internet settings as well. is it safe to delete
them? sorry if its too much or too little information, it is the first time
I've ever posted on a newsgroup.

thanks!

PJB

"Gerald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newscNld.7951$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use Spybot search and destroy v.1.0, and it found 5 DSO exploit entries.
> they are all data source object exploits, registry changes, and the

problem
> starts with hkey_users\s-1-5-18..., hkey_users\s-1-5-19...;
> hkey_users\s-1-5-21...; hkey_users\s-1-5-20...; and hkey_users\default...
> they all have to do with internet settings as well. is it safe to delete
> them? sorry if its too much or too little information, it is the first

time
> I've ever posted on a newsgroup.

I think it's a bug in S & D's detection routines, since I get the same 5 DSO
entries. They appear every time the prog runs.

Wouldn't worry about it..

P.

Scraggy

Gerald wrote:
> I use Spybot search and destroy v.1.0, and it found 5 DSO exploit
> entries. they are all data source object exploits, registry changes,
> and the problem starts with hkey_users\s-1-5-18...,
> hkey_users\s-1-5-19...; hkey_users\s-1-5-21...;
> hkey_users\s-1-5-20...; and hkey_users\default... they all have to do
> with internet settings as well. is it safe to delete them? sorry if
> its too much or too little information, it is the first time I've
> ever posted on a newsgroup.
>
> thanks!

First thing you should do is update to version 1.3 and THEN update that.
--
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to
arm bears. -- Chris Addison

PJB

"Scraggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gerald wrote:
> > I use Spybot search and destroy v.1.0, and it found 5 DSO exploit
> > entries. they are all data source object exploits, registry changes,
> > and the problem starts with hkey_users\s-1-5-18...,
> > hkey_users\s-1-5-19...; hkey_users\s-1-5-21...;
> > hkey_users\s-1-5-20...; and hkey_users\default... they all have to do
> > with internet settings as well. is it safe to delete them? sorry if
> > its too much or too little information, it is the first time I've
> > ever posted on a newsgroup.
> >
> > thanks!

> First thing you should do is update to version 1.3 and THEN update that.

Bin there, done that, makes no difference, for me at least

P.

°Mike°

The DSO exploit issue was due to a bug in SpyBot S&D,
which has recently been fixed. Update to the latest
version (1.3.1).

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:10:44 -0800, in
<DcNld.7951$(E-Mail Removed)>
Gerald scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Gary Danaher

Search the web and you'll find instructions on how to manually edit the
registry after running Search and Destroy. There are some registry
entries which need to be deleted. I fixed mine some time ago. The
current version of s&d still doesn't fix the problem,. but I recall
reading tht version 1.3.1 will do the job. In the mean time, this might
not be a big problem. Look for the other nasties to clean.

Gerald wrote:
> I use Spybot search and destroy v.1.0, and it found 5 DSO exploit entries.
> they are all data source object exploits, registry changes, and the problem
> starts with hkey_users\s-1-5-18..., hkey_users\s-1-5-19...;
> hkey_users\s-1-5-21...; hkey_users\s-1-5-20...; and hkey_users\default...
> they all have to do with internet settings as well. is it safe to delete
> them? sorry if its too much or too little information, it is the first time
> I've ever posted on a newsgroup.
>
> thanks!

Ralph W. Phillips

Howdy!

"Scraggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gerald wrote:
> > I use Spybot search and destroy v.1.0, and it found 5 DSO exploit
> > entries. they are all data source object exploits, registry changes,
> > and the problem starts with hkey_users\s-1-5-18...,
> > hkey_users\s-1-5-19...; hkey_users\s-1-5-21...;
> > hkey_users\s-1-5-20...; and hkey_users\default... they all have to do
> > with internet settings as well. is it safe to delete them? sorry if
> > its too much or too little information, it is the first time I've
> > ever posted on a newsgroup.
> >
> > thanks!

> First thing you should do is update to version 1.3 and THEN update that.

Actually, version 1.3.1TX ...

One link is at http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4392.html .

Download and install SpyBot S&D 1.3 - then, before you run it,
install the 1.3.1TX updater.

Problem with DSO Exploit fixed!

RwP

Ken Doughty

Hi - I appreciate all the info and I was already at v. 1.3 so I will
download the DSO fix.

Thanks

Ken Doughty

In message <4197f8e0_1@127.0.0.1>, Ralph W. Phillips <(E-Mail Removed)>
writes

--
Ken

DSO Exploit William Matthewson Computer Support 3 10-30-2004 04:45 PM
What is DSO Exploit. News Computer Support 2 08-24-2004 03:28 AM
DSO Exploit??? bernard montgomery Computer Support 2 08-21-2004 10:46 AM
DSO Exploit joevan Computer Support 1 08-10-2004 04:23 PM
DSO Exploit terror!! EricP Computer Support 4 08-05-2004 07:11 PM

Advertisments