Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > I switched the run level from 3 to 5 at boot, then stuck at boot with hour glass

I switched the run level from 3 to 5 at boot, then stuck at boot with hour glass

psion

I have mandrake 10 installed and used to boot right into the command line,
so when i wanted to start x, i would do the usual startx. i then tried
switching to gui boot, and worked fine the first time i rebooted. afterwards
though, whenever the gui starts, i see the hour glass on a blue background,
but it sits there. the hour glass spins, so the system isnt freezing, but
seems like it is waiting for some module or app to load. I dont remember
changing anything to start during the startup process. how can i get around
this?

psion
ps. failsafe allows me to go to command line, but am not sure what to do
from there.

Jim Berwick

"psion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> how can i get around
> this?

Maybe try hitting control + Alt + F1 -> F6 and getting a console up, so you
can undo whatever you did.

why?

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:48:35 -0600, psion wrote:

>I have mandrake 10 installed and used to boot right into the command line,
>so when i wanted to start x, i would do the usual startx. i then tried
>switching to gui boot, and worked fine the first time i rebooted. afterwards
>though, whenever the gui starts, i see the hour glass on a blue background,
>but it sits there. the hour glass spins, so the system isnt freezing, but
>seems like it is waiting for some module or app to load. I dont remember
>changing anything to start during the startup process. how can i get around
>this?
>
>psion
>ps. failsafe allows me to go to command line, but am not sure what to do
>from there.

**Do this at your own risk.**

If it's like other distros, use an editor to change the value of the
default startup level, all the lines are usually listed with some
comments.

edit this file,

/etc/inittab

look for a line something like,

is:3:initdefault:

Change the value in the example 3 to the correct number for the runlevel
you want.

Me

Blinky the Shark

psion wrote:

> I have mandrake 10 installed and used to boot right into the command line,

Ask the Mandrake community: alt.os.linux.mandrake

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Go Blue -- beat Ohio State and it's off to the Rose Bowl again.