Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard drive will not spin up

Hard drive will not spin up

Jonah

Is there a neat trick to get a stuck harddrive to spin up?

Someone mentioned a freezer!

Jonah

°Mike°

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4549

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:16:06 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Jonah scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

philo

"Jonah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Is there a neat trick to get a stuck harddrive to spin up?
>
> Someone mentioned a freezer!
>
> Jonah

you can try freezing it...it probably won't help...
but there is a small chance it might.

as a total last resort...
since the drive is no longer reliable...here is something i did once that
worked:

i put the offending drive in a machine along with a 2nd drive
for storing backup data.
then i opened up the bad drive and very *gently* nudged the arm
until the drive began to function again...
i then retrieved the data and stopped using the bad drive of course!

Pennywise

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:16:06 GMT, Jonah
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Is there a neat trick to get a stuck harddrive to spin up?
|>
|>Someone mentioned a freezer!

A freezer, sharp rap, drop it...

I've taken the cover off of one that wouldn't spin-up once and push
started it. (grabbed all I wanted off of it error free). Not at all a
suggestion, but an option.

Jonah

I tried the freezer, I do not want to invalidate my warrantee with
Western Digital, so your option has got to be iffy. If I b***r it up
then they won't pay"

However if I give my drive to them they won't recover my data without a
charge.

Between a rock and a hard place. The drive was my backup of some
valuable data from my last job. Sadly the workplace no longer exists and
my data is on this b***y new drive. Built only last October 2003. Its
the second WD drive to fail me. I certainly won't be buying any more of
them.

Jonah
---------------------------

Pennywise wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:16:06 GMT, Jonah
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |>Is there a neat trick to get a stuck harddrive to spin up?
> |>
> |>Someone mentioned a freezer!
> |>

> A freezer, sharp rap, drop it...
>
> I've taken the cover off of one that wouldn't spin-up once and push
> started it. (grabbed all I wanted off of it error free). Not at all a
> suggestion, but an option.

Mistoffolees

Jonah wrote:
> I tried the freezer, I do not want to invalidate my warrantee with
> Western Digital, so your option has got to be iffy. If I b***r it up
> then they won't pay"
>
> However if I give my drive to them they won't recover my data without a
> charge.
>
> Between a rock and a hard place. The drive was my backup of some
> valuable data from my last job. Sadly the workplace no longer exists and
> my data is on this b***y new drive. Built only last October 2003. Its
> the second WD drive to fail me. I certainly won't be buying any more of
> them.
>
> Jonah

If the problem is just "stiction" (or "sticky friction")
involving the platter spindle and bearings, take the HD
and slam it flat on to a mouse pad...just once. Put back
into computer, power up and the HD might start spinning.
OTOH, if the HD motor is dead, then use a professional
data recovery firm to retrieve the data; WD will not
recover the data if the HD is returned to it.

bkupmstr bkupmstr is offline
Junior Member

I too my non-spinnin drive and put it into and old tower machine and it spun right up.

I was able to copy off all the data and now I'm looking to buy a new enclosure to try to remount the drive in

Good luck all!