Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CPU temperature

CPU temperature

10_4

I built a new system and have some concerns about CPU temperatures. My
Athlon XP 2400 @ 2 GHz was running 131 degrees F. I have always been led to
believe that a case without the covers was a bad thing. I removed my left
side cover and the CPU is now running 95 degrees F. The HDDs were running
around 109 degrees F are now running 100 degrees F. I keep a constant
check on temperatures. With the case closed and extra fans I get higher
temperatures. With the case cover removed I get lower temperatures. Lower
is better in this case but I am wondering about the perfect case ventilation
by having the case closed or having lower temps by having it open. Any
thoughts on this?????????

Treb

"10_4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I built a new system and have some concerns about CPU temperatures. My
> Athlon XP 2400 @ 2 GHz was running 131 degrees F. I have always been led
> believe that a case without the covers was a bad thing. I removed my left
> side cover and the CPU is now running 95 degrees F. The HDDs were running
> around 109 degrees F are now running 100 degrees F. I keep a constant
> check on temperatures. With the case closed and extra fans I get higher
> temperatures. With the case cover removed I get lower temperatures.
> Lower
> is better in this case but I am wondering about the perfect case
> ventilation
> by having the case closed or having lower temps by having it open. Any
> thoughts on this?????????

There are some new slick cases with three and four fans, some on the side.

They seem to dissipate the heat really well. Not too bad looking either. I
saw a black one with heaps of lights and tricked out main door.

Treb

PJB

"10_4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I built a new system and have some concerns about CPU temperatures. My
> Athlon XP 2400 @ 2 GHz was running 131 degrees F. I have always been led

> believe that a case without the covers was a bad thing. I removed my left
> side cover and the CPU is now running 95 degrees F. The HDDs were running
> around 109 degrees F are now running 100 degrees F. I keep a constant
> check on temperatures. With the case closed and extra fans I get higher
> temperatures. With the case cover removed I get lower temperatures.

Lower
> is better in this case but I am wondering about the perfect case

ventilation
> by having the case closed or having lower temps by having it open. Any
> thoughts on this?????????

My p4/2.8 is currently at around the 110 mark, which is roughly 44 C, but
it's barely under load. If I run SetiAtHome for instance, it climbs to
around 63 C (140+ F), so I wouldn't worry too much
Are you using a standard type heatsink & fan? I used to have a Zalman Flower
cooler on my AMD 1900, that cooled it down from around 60 C to 45 C, might
be worth looking at, if the temps are bothering you.

P.

lugnut

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 01:47:49 -0500, "10_4" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I built a new system and have some concerns about CPU temperatures. My
>Athlon XP 2400 @ 2 GHz was running 131 degrees F. I have always been led to
>believe that a case without the covers was a bad thing. I removed my left
>side cover and the CPU is now running 95 degrees F. The HDDs were running
>around 109 degrees F are now running 100 degrees F. I keep a constant
>check on temperatures. With the case closed and extra fans I get higher
>temperatures. With the case cover removed I get lower temperatures. Lower
>is better in this case but I am wondering about the perfect case ventilation
>by having the case closed or having lower temps by having it open. Any
>thoughts on this?????????

I have the Athlon XP2600. It usually runs in the upper
130's F. AMD seems to think this is OK since they can run
quite a bit warmer without harm. It runs about the same
idle or full load which means it is constant which is good.
I have a pair of 250GB drives that report around 118F and
run for weeks without being shut down for any reason. I
have had problems with heat in the case where extra fans
were installed only to have it run hotter. When I checked,
the fans were all blowing into the case. If that is the
arrangement, there needs to be good exhaust ventilation. In
my machine, I simply turned one of the case fans around to
boost crossflow ventilation - problem solved.

Alan

"lugnut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 01:47:49 -0500, "10_4" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I built a new system and have some concerns about CPU temperatures. My
>>Athlon XP 2400 @ 2 GHz was running 131 degrees F. I have always been led
>>believe that a case without the covers was a bad thing. I removed my left
>>side cover and the CPU is now running 95 degrees F. The HDDs were running
>>around 109 degrees F are now running 100 degrees F. I keep a constant
>>check on temperatures. With the case closed and extra fans I get higher
>>temperatures. With the case cover removed I get lower temperatures.
>>Lower
>>is better in this case but I am wondering about the perfect case
>>ventilation
>>by having the case closed or having lower temps by having it open. Any
>>thoughts on this?????????
>>

> I have the Athlon XP2600. It usually runs in the upper
> 130's F. AMD seems to think this is OK since they can run
> quite a bit warmer without harm. It runs about the same
> idle or full load which means it is constant which is good.
> I have a pair of 250GB drives that report around 118F and
> run for weeks without being shut down for any reason. I
> have had problems with heat in the case where extra fans
> were installed only to have it run hotter. When I checked,
> the fans were all blowing into the case. If that is the
> arrangement, there needs to be good exhaust ventilation. In
> my machine, I simply turned one of the case fans around to
> boost crossflow ventilation - problem solved.

I had this problem. I bought a heavy duty heatsink and made sure that there
was plenty of thermal grease on the CPU core. Now I panic if the heat gets
to 45C !

10_4

"10_4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I built a new system and have some concerns about CPU temperatures. My
> Athlon XP 2400 @ 2 GHz was running 131 degrees F. I have always been led

> believe that a case without the covers was a bad thing. I removed my left
> side cover and the CPU is now running 95 degrees F. The HDDs were running
> around 109 degrees F are now running 100 degrees F. I keep a constant
> check on temperatures. With the case closed and extra fans I get higher
> temperatures. With the case cover removed I get lower temperatures.

Lower
> is better in this case but I am wondering about the perfect case

ventilation
> by having the case closed or having lower temps by having it open. Any
> thoughts on this?????????

I appreciate the feedback!
I have the fans blowing in the right direction (outwards) and the heatsink
and fan are of high quality rated for a faster CPU than I am running. All
is well with this unit I was just wandering about all the things I read and
all the classes I took stating the case needed to be closed so the fans
could properly remove the heat. I agree with that but saw the much lower
hear temps with the case cover removed. Always willing to listen to good
advice!

Thanks again,
Roger

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sat,
13 Nov 2004 01:47:49 -0500, "10_4" <(E-Mail Removed)> screamed from
behind the mulberry bush:

>I built a new system and have some concerns about CPU temperatures. My
>Athlon XP 2400 @ 2 GHz was running 131 degrees F. I have always been led to
>believe that a case without the covers was a bad thing. I removed my left
>side cover and the CPU is now running 95 degrees F. The HDDs were running
>around 109 degrees F are now running 100 degrees F. I keep a constant
>check on temperatures. With the case closed and extra fans I get higher
>temperatures. With the case cover removed I get lower temperatures. Lower
>is better in this case but I am wondering about the perfect case ventilation
>by having the case closed or having lower temps by having it open. Any
>thoughts on this?????????

A lot of uber geeks never put the cover on their PC because they're
never through messing with it. As long as you don't have small
children and even smaller household pets, I don't see the harm in
leaving it open.

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Alan mused:

| I had this problem. I bought a heavy duty heatsink and made sure that
| there was plenty of thermal grease on the CPU core. Now I panic if the
| heat gets to 45C !

A smaller amount of thermal compound is better than too much. Check out
Arctic Silver's site for images of the proper amount to use.

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, 10_4 mused:

| I have the fans blowing in the right direction (outwards) and the heatsink
| and fan are of high quality rated for a faster CPU than I am running.

Do you have any fans pulling air into the case ... preferably in the
lower front? Also, your reported temperatures are will within spec, so I
really wouldn't worry.