Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New Maxtor Hard Drive

New Maxtor Hard Drive

PuppyKatt

My son just bought a new 80gig Maxtor, 7200 rpm. I installed it for him as
the slave. It shows up o the device manager, and says that there are no
problems, the device is working properly. However, it does not show up on
My Computer. Where is it?

Toolman Tim

"PuppyKatt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3mdld.7503$(E-Mail Removed)...
| My son just bought a new 80gig Maxtor, 7200 rpm. I installed it for him
as
| the slave. It shows up o the device manager, and says that there are no
| problems, the device is working properly. However, it does not show up on
| My Computer. Where is it?

Windows XP? Right-click "My Computer", select "Manage". Go down to Disk
Managment. You need to partition and format the drive from there.

doS

Did you format it?

"PuppyKatt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3mdld.7503$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My son just bought a new 80gig Maxtor, 7200 rpm. I installed it for him

as
> the slave. It shows up o the device manager, and says that there are no
> problems, the device is working properly. However, it does not show up on
> My Computer. Where is it?

Unk

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:23:32 -0600, "PuppyKatt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My son just bought a new 80gig Maxtor, 7200 rpm. I installed it for him as
>the slave. It shows up o the device manager, and says that there are no
>problems, the device is working properly. However, it does not show up on
>My Computer. Where is it?

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

1 - Boot computer, enter BIOS, make SURE new drive's been seen correctly, boot
normally.
2 - Right click "My Computer", select "Manage", click "Disk Management"
3 - Look for listing "Drive 1" (Drive 0 is your WinXP Drive C
4 - Right-click the Button "Disk 1 Unknown xxx.xx GB Not Initialized", Select
"Initialize Disk"
5 - Right-click the window area that says "xxx.x GB" with "Unallocated" under
it, and
6 - Select "New Partition". The Setup Wizard pops-up, click Next.
7 - Select "Primary Partition", click Next.
8 - Select "Partition Size", accept Default (the whole thing), click Next.
9 - "Assign Following Drive Letter", accept Default, accept Default Volume Name,
click Next.
10 - "Format this Partition"; "File System", accept Default [NTFS],
"Allocation Size", accept Default, and check the box, "Perform Quick
Format",
and click Next, then "Finish". NOW WAIT UNTIL IT'S DONE.
11 - Now look at "Drive 1", it has "Basic" under it and now the window says,
"New Volume (D", under it is "xxx.xx GB NTFS" and under that is
"Healthy"
12 - Right-click the window again and select "Mark Partition as Active"
13 - Now look at "Drive 1", it has "Basic" under it but now the window says,
"New Volume (D", under it is "xxx.xx GB NTFS" and under that is
"Healthy (Active)"
14 - That's it, you're done. Drive (D is ready for data, an OS, or a backup of
your Drive (C.

Start to finish on a new 80 GB drive takes less than 10 minutes if you "Quick
Format" it and better than an hour if you "Full Format" it.
Change the defaults to your liking, and your mileage may vary.

PuppyKatt

BINGO. Thank you. I have never installed a new hard drive before, so I had
no idea about this step. Currently formatting. My son says thanks a lot.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "PuppyKatt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3mdld.7503$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | My son just bought a new 80gig Maxtor, 7200 rpm. I installed it for him
> as
> | the slave. It shows up o the device manager, and says that there are no
> | problems, the device is working properly. However, it does not show up
> on
> | My Computer. Where is it?
> |

> Windows XP? Right-click "My Computer", select "Manage". Go down to Disk
> Managment. You need to partition and format the drive from there.

PuppyKatt

Thanks Unk. My son wondered about the time involved, and I told him "a
loong time for an 80gig format." He saw your reply, as well as the replies
from Toolman Tim and doS. Many thanks to all of you. BTW, when I was
formatting a stack of floppies the other day, Dad said to "never select
quick format," but he did not say why. What is the difference between quick
and full, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:23:32 -0600, "PuppyKatt" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>My son just bought a new 80gig Maxtor, 7200 rpm. I installed it for him
>>as
>>the slave. It shows up o the device manager, and says that there are no
>>problems, the device is working properly. However, it does not show up on
>>My Computer. Where is it?
>>

> HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348
>

> 1 - Boot computer, enter BIOS, make SURE new drive's been seen correctly,
> boot
> normally.
> 2 - Right click "My Computer", select "Manage", click "Disk Management"
> 3 - Look for listing "Drive 1" (Drive 0 is your WinXP Drive C
> 4 - Right-click the Button "Disk 1 Unknown xxx.xx GB Not Initialized",
> Select
> "Initialize Disk"
> 5 - Right-click the window area that says "xxx.x GB" with "Unallocated"
> under
> it, and
> 6 - Select "New Partition". The Setup Wizard pops-up, click Next.
> 7 - Select "Primary Partition", click Next.
> 8 - Select "Partition Size", accept Default (the whole thing), click Next.
> 9 - "Assign Following Drive Letter", accept Default, accept Default Volume
> Name,
> click Next.
> 10 - "Format this Partition"; "File System", accept Default [NTFS],
> "Allocation Size", accept Default, and check the box, "Perform Quick
> Format",
> and click Next, then "Finish". NOW WAIT UNTIL IT'S DONE.
> 11 - Now look at "Drive 1", it has "Basic" under it and now the window
> says,
> "New Volume (D", under it is "xxx.xx GB NTFS" and under that is
> "Healthy"
> 12 - Right-click the window again and select "Mark Partition as Active"
> 13 - Now look at "Drive 1", it has "Basic" under it but now the window
> says,
> "New Volume (D", under it is "xxx.xx GB NTFS" and under that is
> "Healthy (Active)"
> 14 - That's it, you're done. Drive (D is ready for data, an OS, or a
> backup of
> your Drive (C.
>
> Start to finish on a new 80 GB drive takes less than 10 minutes if you
> "Quick
> Format" it and better than an hour if you "Full Format" it.
> Change the defaults to your liking, and your mileage may vary.

PuppyKatt

In the process of doing that now, thanks to Toolman Tim and Unk. Thanks
doS.

"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Did you format it?
>
> "PuppyKatt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3mdld.7503$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My son just bought a new 80gig Maxtor, 7200 rpm. I installed it for him

> as
>> the slave. It shows up o the device manager, and says that there are no
>> problems, the device is working properly. However, it does not show up
>> on
>> My Computer. Where is it?

doS

from microsoft:
When you choose to run a regular format on a volume, files are removed from
the volume that you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad
sectors. The scan for bad sectors is responsible for the majority of the
time that it takes to format a volume.

If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the
partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors. Only use this option
if your hard disk has been previously formatted and you are sure that your
hard disk is not damaged.

news:bheld.7518$(E-Mail Removed)...