Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cleaning LCD screen

Cleaning LCD screen

parker

There are as many suggestions for cleaning an LCD monitor screen as there
are computer users, I think. I am trying to decide on the one correct
method, if that is possible. To all computer experts: How do you clean your
very best LCD screen without damaging it in any way?

Old Gringo

parker wrote:
> There are as many suggestions for cleaning an LCD monitor screen as there
> are computer users, I think. I am trying to decide on the one correct
> method, if that is possible. To all computer experts: How do you clean your
> very best LCD screen without damaging it in any way?

You are right, 324,000 selections on google. Sounds like a selection
you would want to make yourself. Mfg. recommendations might be the best.

--
Old Gringo George
Just West Of Nowhere

°Mike°

Use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth (do NOT use solvents!), or
a dry, soft, lint-free cloth with Isopropyl Alcohol applied to
the cloth ONLY. Clean with straight strokes, in one direction
only.

Under NO circumstances should you use ANY of the following,
or ANY substances based on them:

Acetone
Ammonia
Ethyl Acid
Ethyl Alcohol
Methyl Chloride

Do NOT use paper towels/toilet paper; they are abrasive.
Do NOT use "Computer Wipes" unless they are specifically
designed for LCD screens.

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:49:36 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
parker scrawled:

>There are as many suggestions for cleaning an LCD monitor screen as there
>are computer users, I think. I am trying to decide on the one correct
>method, if that is possible. To all computer experts: How do you clean your
>very best LCD screen without damaging it in any way?

--
Basic computer maintenance

Richard

"parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There are as many suggestions for cleaning an LCD monitor screen as there
> are computer users, I think. I am trying to decide on the one correct
> method, if that is possible. To all computer experts: How do you clean
> your very best LCD screen without damaging it in any way?

Follow this link for the definitive method for cleaning your screen
Use with discretion adults only.

http://mirrored.flabber.nl/boob.cursor/ciagnijcycka.swf

Richard

parker

Mike, thanks a lot. I had heard that alcohol should not be used on a screen.
Maybe the makers of special cleaners don't want you to use that, but to buy
their expensive product for cleaning.

°Mike°

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:32:28 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
parker scrawled:

>Mike, thanks a lot. I had heard that alcohol should not be used on a screen.
>Maybe the makers of special cleaners don't want you to use that, but to buy
>their expensive product for cleaning.

Please include some of the message that you are replying to.
Tools / Options / Send ... 'Include message in reply'.

It depends on what you mean by alcohol. Isopropyl Alcohol
is quite safe; not to be confused with other types of alcohol.

--
Basic computer maintenance

parker

>Mike, thanks a lot. I had heard that alcohol should not be used on a
>screen.
>Maybe the makers of special cleaners don't want you to use that, but to buy
>their expensive product for cleaning.

Please include some of the message that you are replying to.
Tools / Options / Send ... 'Include message in reply'.

It depends on what you mean by alcohol. Isopropyl Alcohol
is quite safe; not to be confused with other types of alcohol.

Thanks on both counts. I had not been including part of the letter I am
answering to. I realize that I need to do so.

Isopropyl Alcohol is what I meant when I said ""Alcohol."

Old Gringo

parker wrote:
> There are as many suggestions for cleaning an LCD monitor screen as there
> are computer users, I think. I am trying to decide on the one correct
> method, if that is possible. To all computer experts: How do you clean your
> very best LCD screen without damaging it in any way?

Pop in to your local computer store and see what they recommend.
Here is a link to a product that sounds promising.
http://www.kensington.com/html/1081.html

--
Old Gringo George
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

°Mike°

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:39:47 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
parker scrawled:

>>Mike, thanks a lot. I had heard that alcohol should not be used on a
>>screen.
>>Maybe the makers of special cleaners don't want you to use that, but to buy
>>their expensive product for cleaning.

>Please include some of the message that you are replying to.
>Tools / Options / Send ... 'Include message in reply'.
>
>It depends on what you mean by alcohol. Isopropyl Alcohol
>is quite safe; not to be confused with other types of alcohol.
>
>Thanks on both counts. I had not been including part of the letter I am
>answering to. I realize that I need to do so.

Ok, thanks for doing that, but now you need to include
an attribution mark ">" for the quoted text.
Tools / Options / Send ... 'News Sending Format'
'Plain Text Settings'. Check 'Indent the original
text with [>] when replying....'

>Isopropyl Alcohol is what I meant when I said ""Alcohol."

As I said, Isopropyl Alcohol is quite safe. Most other forms
of alcohol are not.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Vass

nothing wrong with the duff of my sleeve

can still read the screen after many a "wipe"

Vass