Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > driver update CD-RW

driver update CD-RW

I Bakker

I have just bought a new CD-RW for a old PC. Wanted to updat the driver, but
when I get to the manufactures site I fins firm-ware. Is this the same as a
driver?

I Bakker

"I Bakker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have just bought a new CD-RW for a old PC. Wanted to updat the driver,

but
> when I get to the manufactures site I fins firm-ware. Is this the same as

> driver?

My options are:

1. CRW-5232AS(-U) firmware V1.01

2. ASUS CDROM/CDRW/DVDROM/DVDRW Auto Update Utility V1.00

3. CRW-5232AS F/W V1.0

Which one do I need?

Paul - xxx

I Bakker vaguely muttered something like ...
> "I Bakker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have just bought a new CD-RW for a old PC. Wanted to updat the driver,
>> but when I get to the manufactures site I fins firm-ware. Is this the
>> same as a driver?
>>

> My options are:
>
> 1. CRW-5232AS(-U) firmware V1.01
>
> 2. ASUS CDROM/CDRW/DVDROM/DVDRW Auto Update Utility V1.00
>
> 3. CRW-5232AS F/W V1.0
>
> Which one do I need?

A lot would depend on what CD-RW you have ...

And what the update is for, what it does, do you need it, does it do
something you need, does it cure a fault yours has etc etc

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

I Bakker

"Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I Bakker vaguely muttered something like ...
> > "I Bakker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I have just bought a new CD-RW for a old PC. Wanted to updat the

driver,
> >> but when I get to the manufactures site I fins firm-ware. Is this the
> >> same as a driver?
> >>

> > My options are:
> >
> > 1. CRW-5232AS(-U) firmware V1.01
> >
> > 2. ASUS CDROM/CDRW/DVDROM/DVDRW Auto Update Utility V1.00
> >
> > 3. CRW-5232AS F/W V1.0
> >
> > Which one do I need?

> A lot would depend on what CD-RW you have ...

I have a ASUS CRW-5232AS QuieTrack

> And what the update is for, what it does, do you need it, does it do

After I installed de CD-RW, and the software that came with it, it was
working fine. Made all my back-ups on CD-RW disk with InCD software.
Perfect. After a few dag, it went wrong. I don't know what, but if I put a
disk in the station, then open Windows Explorer, and click on D: , it only
shows the following item's: a folder with the name 'files' and 2 file:
Autorun and OpenHtml.

I know I had thsi problem with a old CD-RW, and the problem suddely
dissapeared then, and all was fine.

> something you need, does it cure a fault yours has etc etc

A friend of mine suggested that I download a new driver.

> --
> Paul ...
> (8(|) Homer Rules !!!
> "A tosser is a tosser, no matter what mode of transport they're using."

Does anyone know how this happend?

Paul - xxx

I Bakker vaguely muttered something like ...
> "Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I Bakker vaguely muttered something like ...
>>> "I Bakker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>

>>> My options are:
>>>
>>> 1. CRW-5232AS(-U) firmware V1.01
>>>
>>> 2. ASUS CDROM/CDRW/DVDROM/DVDRW Auto Update Utility V1.00
>>>
>>> 3. CRW-5232AS F/W V1.0
>>>
>>> Which one do I need?

>> A lot would depend on what CD-RW you have ...

> I have a ASUS CRW-5232AS QuieTrack
>>
>> And what the update is for, what it does, do you need it, does it do

> After I installed de CD-RW, and the software that came with it, it was
> working fine. Made all my back-ups on CD-RW disk with InCD software.
> Perfect. After a few dag, it went wrong. I don't know what, but if I put a
> disk in the station, then open Windows Explorer, and click on D: , it only
> shows the following item's: a folder with the name 'files' and 2 file:
> Autorun and OpenHtml.
>
> I know I had thsi problem with a old CD-RW, and the problem suddely
> dissapeared then, and all was fine.

Which suggests the fault is independant of the drive, and that it's a system
related failure. Which can be either soft or hardware. A driver update
might cure it, but just as easily might fark it up severely. I'd suggest a
review of your whole system ..

http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html , courtesy of °Mike°,
might help.

>> something you need, does it cure a fault yours has etc etc

> A friend of mine suggested that I download a new driver.

Can be good advice, but I doubt it is in this case ...

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

I Bakker

"Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I Bakker vaguely muttered something like ...
> > "Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I Bakker vaguely muttered something like ...

> >> A lot would depend on what CD-RW you have ...

> > I have a ASUS CRW-5232AS QuieTrack
> >>
> >> And what the update is for, what it does, do you need it, does it do

> > After I installed de CD-RW, and the software that came with it, it was
> > working fine. Made all my back-ups on CD-RW disk with InCD software.
> > Perfect. After a few dag, it went wrong. I don't know what, but if I put

> > disk in the station, then open Windows Explorer, and click on D: , it

only
> > shows the following item's: a folder with the name 'files' and 2 file:
> > Autorun and OpenHtml.
> >
> > I know I had thsi problem with a old CD-RW, and the problem suddely
> > dissapeared then, and all was fine.

> Which suggests the fault is independant of the drive, and that it's a

system
> related failure. Which can be either soft or hardware. A driver update
> might cure it, but just as easily might fark it up severely. I'd suggest

> review of your whole system ..
>
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html ,

Went to the website but it say's I have to download a bit of software, but
when I click on the download button, I get a 'the page cannot be displayed'.
Any more suggestions?

Ing
courtesy of °Mike°,
> might help.
>
> >> something you need, does it cure a fault yours has etc etc

> > A friend of mine suggested that I download a new driver.

> Can be good advice, but I doubt it is in this case ...
>
> --
> Paul ...
> (8(|) Homer Rules !!!
> "A tosser is a tosser, no matter what mode of transport they're using."

Paul - xxx

I Bakker vaguely muttered something like ...
> "Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> Which suggests the fault is independant of the drive, and that it's a
>> system related failure. Which can be either soft or hardware. A driver
>> update might cure it, but just as easily might fark it up severely. I'd
>> suggest a review of your whole system ..
>>
>> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html ,

> Went to the website but it say's I have to download a bit of software,

No it doesn't, it's a suggestion to make things 'easier'.

> but
> when I click on the download button, I get a 'the page cannot be
> displayed'. Any more suggestions?

If you can't read basic instructions then I fear the problems you have are
probably self-inflicted and can't be fixed remotely.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

Rob K

I Bakker wrote :
> I have just bought a new CD-RW for a old PC. Wanted to updat the driver, but
> when I get to the manufactures site I fins firm-ware. Is this the same as a
> driver?

I've read the discussion above and have been Googling around a little.
The discussion here seems to indicate that the a firmware upgrade may
be necessary:
http://tinyurl.com/3wfpf

Can ROM 'see' and identify the drive properly ?

--
My E-mail address in ROT-13:

Stickems

Have you recently upgrades to XP SP2

"I Bakker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
|I have just bought a new CD-RW for a old PC. Wanted to updat the driver,
but
| when I get to the manufactures site I fins firm-ware. Is this the same as
| driver?

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Wed,
10 Nov 2004 10:20:22 +0100, "I Bakker" <(E-Mail Removed)> screamed
from behind the mulberry bush:

>I have just bought a new CD-RW for a old PC. Wanted to updat the driver, but
>when I get to the manufactures site I fins firm-ware. Is this the same as a
>driver?

No, it's essentially the software burned into a chip on the CD ROM
itself that tells it how to operate. It is not loaded onto Windows,
which has it's own drivers that tell the OS how to use the CD ROM.
When you download the firmware update, it should include a file to
update the software on this chip plus a utility to do it., akin to
updating the BIOS on your computer.