Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > USB Transfer Speed: Old PC (USB 1 To A New PC) Question ?

USB Transfer Speed: Old PC (USB 1 To A New PC) Question ?

Robert11

Hi,

Realize this can only be a true guestimate, bu can anyone
please offer an opinion as to approx. how long it might take
to transfer, e.g., 1 GB of text files from an old PC to a new
one.

Would be using the old USB type port (which is all the 5 yr old PC has).
Think it's called a USB 1.

BTW: old PC has W98, new one would have XP

Bob

Brian

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Realize this can only be a true guestimate, bu can anyone
> please offer an opinion as to approx. how long it might take
> to transfer, e.g., 1 GB of text files from an old PC to a new
> one.
>
> Would be using the old USB type port (which is all the 5 yr old PC has).
> Think it's called a USB 1.
>
> BTW: old PC has W98, new one would have XP
>
> Bob

at the best around 11 mins

Toolman Tim

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hi,
|
| Realize this can only be a true guestimate, bu can anyone
| please offer an opinion as to approx. how long it might take
| to transfer, e.g., 1 GB of text files from an old PC to a new
| one.
|
| Would be using the old USB type port (which is all the 5 yr old PC has).
| Think it's called a USB 1.
|
| BTW: old PC has W98, new one would have XP

You do realize you need a custom cable for that? You might find it less
expensive to put a NIC in each system (the new one probably already has a
10/100 ethernet NIC), and connect them with a crossover cable. I buy NICS
for less than $10, and cables less than $5.

Or, do the job for free: take the hard drive out of the old PC, and put it
in the new one. For a data transfer, the simplest is to unplug the power and
data cables from the CD-ROM and plug the old drive into those instead. (You
don't have to play with the jumpers that way.) After it's done just plug the
CD-ROM back in. (Of course, all of this MUST be done with the power off...)