Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Missing files on startup.

Missing files on startup.

Freddy

On windows 98, after removing a truckload of bugs, and a virus or two -
computer works fine apart from start up. Screen says various files are
missing. Repeatedly pushing enter gets it up and running. Unfortunately I
have not got any installation discs. Is there a repair program I can
download?

Gray Ghost

Freddy wrote:
> On windows 98, after removing a truckload of bugs, and a virus or two -
> computer works fine apart from start up. Screen says various files are
> missing. Repeatedly pushing enter gets it up and running. Unfortunately I
> have not got any installation discs. Is there a repair program I can
> download?

What files does it say are missing?

Freddy

"Gray Ghost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Freddy wrote:
>> On windows 98, after removing a truckload of bugs, and a virus or two -
>> computer works fine apart from start up. Screen says various files are
>> missing. Repeatedly pushing enter gets it up and running. Unfortunately I
>> have not got any installation discs. Is there a repair program I can
>> download?

> What files does it say are missing?

Sorry - havn't got that computer here at present (big help) but about four
different ones.

ad van de haar

Freddy wrote:
> On windows 98, after removing a truckload of bugs, and a virus or two -
> computer works fine apart from start up. Screen says various files are
> missing. Repeatedly pushing enter gets it up and running. Unfortunately I
> have not got any installation discs. Is there a repair program I can
> download?

If it are dll files, you can probably download them from the sites:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/index.shtml
http://www.dynamiclink.nl/frames/dll...tmXLINTL32.dll
http://www.dictacomm.com/Win_Dll/Default.htm (oudere dll's)

Good luck

Ad

trout

Freddy wrote:

> "Gray Ghost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Freddy wrote:
>>> On windows 98, after removing a truckload of bugs, and a virus or
>>> two - computer works fine apart from start up. Screen says various
>>> files are missing. Repeatedly pushing enter gets it up and running.
>>> Unfortunately I have not got any installation discs. Is there a
>>> repair program I can download?

>> What files does it say are missing?

> Sorry - havn't got that computer here at present (big help) but about
> four different ones.

Your course of action really depends upon the *exact* message text.
The "missing" files could well just be things that were in the
start-up, 'last time
the computer looked' and are no longer *supposed* to be there (like
components of malware that you've removed).
In that case, you'd just clean-up the registry.
--
"Details, details, details."

127.0.0.1

"Freddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0Rkjd.263$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On windows 98, after removing a truckload of bugs, and a virus or two -
> computer works fine apart from start up. Screen says various files are
> missing. Repeatedly pushing enter gets it up and running. Unfortunately I
> have not got any installation discs. Is there a repair program I can
> download?

clean your registry

win98 also has some *.ini files which also needs to be cleaned

-a|ex